Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A philosophical look at negetivity Part 6

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
There are a number of reasons for people to be negetive and cynical. We have over the years

been mislead and lied to by our government, regardless of party. Big Bussiness has cooked

the books. Big accounting firms condone illegal practices.Stock Brokerage Houses have

lied about the quality of stocks and that the market was always about to turn the corner. The mantra

was buy because stocks are high and going higher , because stock are low and will recover.

Buy because stocks are going nowhere and are about to break to the upside. Drug companies have lied

to us about the lethality of new drugs meant to heal us.The clergy of all faiths have mislead us as to

their feet of clay and less then Spiritual activities.

Then we have the less then understandable reasons for negetivity. Among these questionable reasons

we find to be negetive and cynical, it makes one look smart , intellectually wise and cool.

Be negetive because it is easier to join the herd mentality and hide among the masses, then to

take a stand for what you truly believe and take the heat. Some among us feel that they will stand

taller if if they can pull down there betters to their own level. Some just get a form of enjoyment

and peverse pleasure from constantly being negetive, cynical and at times cruel.

Theres an appropriate time to be critical. When you have all of the facts, when you understand

precisely what is wrong, when you have a sound recommendation for improvement. When you have

made the effort to walk in anothers shoes and understand the complexity and scope of the problems.

Criticism is a valuable and necessary tool for improvement if it is well crafted, well thought out

and well intentioned. But equally important is the quality of positive feedback,support, commendation

for an effort or accomplishment leading to progress. If we were to judge by some of the comments ,

we would live in a dark, sinister and cheerless world. But that is not so, in spite of the difficulties we

face as collectors and Americans, we shall pass thru this period of uncertainty and fear,into a new day.

Spring will come, the birds will sing and the sun will rise up in all of its glorious majesty and signal

a new beginning.those who choose to live in the shadowy world of negetivity,will shrivel the human soul.

we deny ourselves the enthusiasm of hope which must be eternal. Yes we may be disappointed,

we may be lied to and misled , may even at times be wrong in our enthusiasm. But if the world

is to progress,then we will need all of our enthusiasm, hope, joy and cheerfulness for the long journey

that lies ahead for each of us.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Some people say the glass is half full (positive types), some say the glass is half empty (negative types), I say the glass is twice as big as it has to be (realistic type). Negativity is personality trait determined partly at birth (nature) and partly by the environment (nurture). So don't worry, be happy.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Nicely stated bear, a dozen jelly donuts for you. image

Bear for president.

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Options
    O Boy, thanks. Now I have my jelly donuts for breakfast.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Bear,

I am not negative, just very hostile and predatory, and I'd like to breathe fire all over you, cook you to a nice medium rare, and eat you with a side order of fries.

dragon
  • Options
    Dragon - Gosh, I hope I am not tough and stringy. I would hate to disappoint.

I might be better placed in a nice stew. It would be more like a jacuzi for me.

In any event, as an old company commander, Ive been under fire before.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bear, I am not negative, just very hostile and predatory, and I'd like to breathe fire all over you, cook you to a nice medium rare, and eat you with a side order of fries. dragon >>

"French" or "Freedom"?

peacockcoins

• Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Bear is a wise old man and NumisEd is a grumpy old man. Thanks Bear for helping me to see the light.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Negativity is too easy. It's the attitude of first resort. Doing something--anything--actually takes effort. Even it you are spurred to do it by negative feelings.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Braddick, I think Dragon is definately French.

He seems to have the same smiling disposition

that the French exhibit. Perhaps its just the snarling

and all the gnashing of fangs. If he really going to breath fire

Im going right out and buy a bag of marshmellows to roast.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I once worked for a company where I had to review the exit letters people wrote about the company. Our philosophy was to ignore any letter that just made complaints. Of course we sent them a thank you letter. But the letters we took seriously were the letters that made the complaint but also offered a solution. Those we tried to put into practice.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    Interesting insight.

But for me, the negativity has a simple and clear source.

People suck image
    dwood

"France said this week they need more evidence to convince them Saddam is a threat. Yeah, last time France asked for more evidence it came rollin thru Paris with a German Flag on it." -Dave Letterman
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    I agree with Cameo.

Complaint: War sucks bigtime

Solution: No war.

Please put this solution into practice, thank you.

Sincerely,

TRUTH
  • Options
    I suppose if people really sucked,

we would all be shaped like straws.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I really should ammend my statement to "Some People Suck." The blanket I threw doesn't take into account the people who do indeed, not suck image

Truthteller, the best way to end war is to kill the enemy. Every last one of them image

Enemies suck image (all of them)
    dwood

"France said this week they need more evidence to convince them Saddam is a threat. Yeah, last time France asked for more evidence it came rollin thru Paris with a German Flag on it." -Dave Letterman
  • Options
    Bear gets all my jelly donuts for the day for this wonderful post!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    sounds like you're complaining about complainers to me image perhaps a philosophical look at condescending little bears would be more appropriate image
  • Options
    Crito - Its not every day you get to be the perfect example. Congratulations for being

all you can be. image "A man that reads but can not see. A man that listens but can not hear.

A man who speaks, but knows not what he says".
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

And goodwill to all.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ - And goodwill to all.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the bear truth.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Be negetive because it is easier to join the herd mentality and hide among the masses, then to take a stand for
    what you truly believe and take the heat. >>

I truly believe full torches are a pointless marketing tool, and will take the heat for that view. Just because someone
    disagrees doesn't mean they are being negative pr cynical. I will plead guilty to being cynical where grading companies
    are concerned though, it was an acquired worldview.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    Having an opinion against something doesn't make one cynical or negative. Negative
    is looking looking for the dark cloud behind the silver lining and cynical is expecting to
    find it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some people say the glass is half full (positive types), some say the glass is half empty (negative types) >>

the problem is when fools are afraid to even look at the glass! they gladly pay big bucks ($350 MILLION to be exact) to someone else for the privilege of being told how much water is in the glass.

K S
  • Options

<< <i>"It's not the critic who counts. It's not the man who points out where the grown man stumbles, or how the doer of deeds could have done them better; the credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who, if he fails, fails, while doing so greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. >>

Theodore Roosevelt, April 23, 1910

Slightly off topic - ya think Teddy would be taking any crap off the French?

Mike
  • Options
    BASEagle - We sometimes forget how articulate TR was.

Thanks for posting the quote. It is indeed an uplifting and accurate sentiment.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i'm pretty sure theodore roosevelt stated that - before the advent of slabs.

K S
  • Options
    No doubt.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Presidents probably shouldn't be on coins, but if any president belongs on them then surely TR does.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>There are a number of reasons for people to be negetive and cynical. We have over the years

been mislead and lied to by our government, regardless of party. Big Bussiness has cooked

the books. Big accounting firms condone illegal practices.Stock Brokerage Houses have

lied about the quality of stocks and that the market was always about to turn the corner. The mantra

was buy because stocks are high and going higher , because stock are low and will recover.

Buy because stocks are going nowhere and are about to break to the upside. Drug companies have lied

to us about the lethality of new drugs meant to heal us.The clergy of all faiths have mislead us as to

their feet of clay and less then Spiritual activities.

Then we have the less then understandable reasons for negetivity. Among these questionable reasons

we find to be negetive and cynical, it makes one look smart , intellectually wise and cool.

Be negetive because it is easier to join the herd mentality and hide among the masses, then to

take a stand for what you truly believe and take the heat. Some among us feel that they will stand

taller if if they can pull down there betters to their own level. Some just get a form of enjoyment

and peverse pleasure from constantly being negetive, cynical and at times cruel.

Theres an appropriate time to be critical. When you have all of the facts, when you understand

precisely what is wrong, when you have a sound recommendation for improvement. When you have

made the effort to walk in anothers shoes and understand the complexity and scope of the problems.

Criticism is a valuable and necessary tool for improvement if it is well crafted, well thought out

and well intentioned. But equally important is the quality of positive feedback,support, commendation

for an effort or accomplishment leading to progress. If we were to judge by some of the comments ,

we would live in a dark, sinister and cheerless world. But that is not so, in spite of the difficulties we

face as collectors and Americans, we shall pass thru this period of uncertainty and fear,into a new day.

Spring will come, the birds will sing and the sun will rise up in all of its glorious majesty and signal

a new beginning.those who choose to live in the shadowy world of negetivity,will shrivel the human soul.

we deny ourselves the enthusiasm of hope which must be eternal. Yes we may be disappointed,

we may be lied to and misled , may even at times be wrong in our enthusiasm. But if the world

is to progress,then we will need all of our enthusiasm, hope, joy and cheerfulness for the long journey

that lies ahead for each of us.[/q

A interesting post i found, somewhat political, and yet profound.
    It would be great to know, how majesty would be for a new beginning...
    The shadows of the past will dwell below, wile the glory of ages progress for a new start, and we would enjoy a positive outlook for all.
    against government, and big business too..

I have a feeling we keep crashing, Unless we be humbled by its total meaning.
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    Gosh, I seem to have been smarter in 2003.

I seem to be getting stupider each year ,as the

years go past.image
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file