Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Top 10 Most Annoying Things in Numismatics

1. The same old sleazeballs advertising the same old cleaned, whizzed AUs as 'Brilliant Uncs!!!!!!!!' in Coinworld and every other numismatic publication since 1956.

2. Those guys on TV selling Morgans for about 3 times what they're worth but doing it very, very enthusiastically.

3. The auction catalog writers who describe every 3rd coin as 'condition census!!!!!!!!!!!!!'.

4. The rich puke who shows up at the auction to buy his 4th example of a rare colonial, outbidding you simply so you can't ever have one.

5. The dealer who sells you a Choice AU Bust Dollar which magically turns into borderline XF / AU when you sell it back to him.

6. The helpful chap who acts as a middleman between you and the 7 other middlemen and 4 dealers separating you from the coin you want and the person selling it.

7. The people who think PCGS grades are the ACTUAL grades of the coins, as opposed to just one more opinion from some guy.

8. The prices that are listed in the Blue Book (seriously, if I ever catch the guy who is making up these prices I'm going to give him a totally unnecessary Heimlich Manuever).

9. The guy who posted in here a while ago justifying the absurd $2500 asking price of a PCGS MS-67 1999 Jefferson because it represented 'the value of the time it took to look through a huge pile of nickels to find one'. Based on that reasoning, I guess when buying such coins it makes sense to request that they be found by illegal immigrants so as to keep the prices down.

10. The losers who run Ebay auctions with long narratives describing themselves as some broad whose Uncle past away and left a bunch of coins (which amazingly are all counterfeit) and the only way the heirs could think of to sell them was to do no research, check no reference books and just post them on Ebay, typically in a private auction with no return priviledge.

10a. The misguided fools who bid on 10.

Singapore

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    11. People who criticize the collecting habits of others based on a belief in their own superiority.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    12. dropping coins in maple syrup.
  • Options
    13. Getting sniped out of a good deal on eBay buy a reseller.
  • Options
    14. Stupidly dropping the 1909-S VDB down the drain while trying to clean it.
  • Options
    PS... I was just kidding.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15. Noticing your pocket-piece 1916 SLQ is missing, after you drive past the tollbooth on your way to work...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of pocket pieces, I knew a man who was carrying a 1792 half disme as one who lost it. That's almost as bad as losing a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter. In some cases it could be worse.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Who would carry such a small coin as a pocket piece?
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malignant forum trolls.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    lol #2 #6 #9 LOL

who are you really singapore? could you pm me and let me know?

sincerely michael
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #...where are we??

Those Ebay sellers that list their AG/Good garbage that is worth exactly face or the silver therein at one coin per auction, with a nice $6.00 shipping and obnoxious loud *LOOK* designations. For God's sake why don't they go pick up aluminum cans along the interstate if they just want to make pennies per hour and save my poor eyes some strain!! image

Tyler
  • Options
    Funny thread.

I find the most annoying thing to be the fact that Coin World continues to allow the aforementioned sellers of sliders and other overpriced coins who take out double page ads to continue advertising in their publication.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian,
    Excellent point, but what is their option?

peacockcoins

• Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    #16 Some one that pays less then $1.00 for a coin then asks every one that they talk to, to see if they got a good deal.(really cheap people)
    NUMO
  • Options
    Ban them if they overgrade?
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    If you took out all the full page sellers that sell overgraded crap out of Coin World, the mag would be empty.

CW obviously doesn't care if novices get screwed.
  • Options
    1. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

2. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

3. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

4. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

5. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

6. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

7. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

8. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

9. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.

10. People who continue to defend Frankies, the ugliest coin ever minted.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you took out all the full page sellers that sell overgraded crap out of Coin World, the mag would be empty. CW obviously doesn't care if novices get screwed. >>

BING!! Bing!! BING!! We have a winner.

peacockcoins

• Options
    11. ClarkOfKent who trolls to feel good about himself.
  • Options
    That's it, Fonz. "Flame Frankie" weekend has been explained to you already. Seems like maybe you're just trying to feel good about yourself.

You can pretty much just KISS MY A$$!
    NMFB ™

• Options
    old man, how about I kick it!
  • Options
    You seriously joined these boards so you could tell people about how you want to meet them in person so you can kick their a$$?

You're a flippin' MORON.

M O R O N
    NMFB ™

• Options
    No not so I can tell people, just you, a tough guy that gets tough with women. Lets meet, and you can attempt to call me all the names you choose in person. I'll be at the upcoming Baltimore show.
  • Options
    Yeah.... I'm a tough guy, because YOU misunderstood a thread.

M O R O N

And, no... I'm not going to Baltimore to waste my time on the likes of you. What an idiot.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    it's a good thing wimp, because you wouldn't be the tough guy you are now hiding behind your computer screen.
  • Options
    Blah, blah, blah.... whatever. Go slap your grandma around for awhile, it'll make you feel like a real man!

M O R O N
    NMFB ™

• Options
    No I prefer you. The same way you have to hassle Lucille, your making fun of a lady, and so am I, a Lady from Ohio.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    It annoys me to show a rare variety or unusual coin to a fellow collector and be asked first, "What's the pop on this one?"
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Well, I'm sure she'll be grateful that you were here to come to her rescue. Meanwhile, you've totally screwed our good-natured Flame Frankie fun.

Goodnight, goodbye, good riddance! I D I O T
    NMFB ™

• Options
    A name calling tough guy. Lets take it offline and in person tough guy. I can do Ohio.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I've dealt with #5 numerous times image but I think you're on to something with #9

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I've only got 5.

#1: cracking a coin out of a slab you just paid for because they undergraded it.
    #2: sending a coin you just cracked out of a slab you just paid for back to the same grading company.
    #3: having a coin you just cracked out of a slab you just paid for come back in a body bag the second time around.
    #4: paying 50% more to slab a foreign coin, even though they sell for far less than their US counterparts (of same era).
    #5: spending more money on plastic than coins.
  • Options
    Dealers that max a coin out so that all they have is low for the grade, NGC coins, instead of high-end PCGSor NGC coins.
  • Options
    1) Minor errors, varieties, etc... that people make big deals about. Pretty much, if you cant see it without a loupe its no big deal........

2) Any kind of a registry set...... You get into that whole My coin is better than your coin thing. I collect for the joy of it not to be competitive.

3) Condition Rarities, Nuff said!

4) When you go to a show and you ask a dealer to look at a raw
    coin and he lets you look at it for about 2 seconds and then he says do you want it.

5) People that get on these forums and act like little children.
  • Options
    My apologies intocoins.
  • Options
    I would agree with you about condition rarities with just a slight twist,condition rarities of series and coins that are not at least scarce. I like to collect condition rarities in 19th and early 20th century type coins, but those coins are at least scarce in lower mint state grades. The common modern coins that are only scarce if there is a 69 or 70 on the slab with more coins minted per year than people that live in the united states are not rare coins. There is nothing wrong with collecting them raw yourself but buying them already slabbed and paying hundreds or even thousands is stupid unless you don't care about the value of the coins you buy.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always laugh when I see an experienced dealer describe a VG-VF coin that has been all cleaned up and polished as a " coin with hints of luster showing through."

I wish I had a big bag of polished coins with me that I could drop off in front of him and ask his buy price for my sweet original pieces with traces of mint luster showing! LOL

Tyler
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>If you took out all the full page sellers that sell overgraded crap out of Coin World, the mag would be empty. >>

Yeah, most people think magazines (and newspapers for that matter) are for reading -- they're not, they're for delivering advertising and not get it thrown out with the bulk junk mail. If you don't believe this, flip through some of the women's magazines.

Singapore, you ought to submit your list to Coin World and see if they'll publish it as "humor."image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    11. Advertising any roll or bag of coins as UNSEARCHED!

12. Offering a raw frankie with FBL on ebay and then just post a pic of the obverse only...

Enjoy the day.........
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Singapore, I agree. Your list with some of the additions from this thread should be published where more folks will read it.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Boy, you can sure tell when Lucy is not around!!!! image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    as for Coin World, having spent some time in the publishnig business, I can tell you that advertising sales drive the book. High ad sales revenue means better editorial (although much of it is home grown or free) more services (in which each there is a buck for the publisher), etc, etc.

Specialized mags are not started by afficianados, they are started by publishers who see a market, forecast a model, hire, recruit or buy a front man and then count the money.

The day any publication rejects advertising over the credibility of the advertiser is the day Hell Freezes over or My Tampa Bay Bucs win the Super bowl.

ooops, got so used to using that second one, I forgot they did win!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    ps: In the spirit of the thread, your mother wears army boots.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Back to the point of the thread:

#Whatever: Dealers who sell at Graysheet and buy at Blue sheet.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file