Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1939 MS68 Merc, upgrade or registry effect?

There is a 1939-P MS68 No Bands Mercury for sale on the Heritige site that currently (Wed AM) has a bid of $540 (including the vig) for a coin that generally sells for about $200 +/- a little.

Do you think this high price is due to a possible upgrade to a 69 (Currently a pop 1 coin in 69, 38 in 68) or is the Registry effect driving the price?

I am guessing the buyer will be looking for an upgrade at this price, but that is pure guess.
Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Comments

• Keep us updated with what the final hammer price is.

Cameron Kiefer
  • All the prices are strong, the sheets are way behind with there listed prices
    I saw a merc that usually sells for $1400 go for $1700 plus the juice. Not
    to mention the prices toned coins are bring
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the prices in the Heritage Auction are certainly interesting. Have not checked today on some that are being watched for the fun of it but will go there later in the afternoon and see whats really happening. Isn't this the thrid major auction where the Gray Sheet could just be thrown out the window ? Will they ever catch up with some realistic prices ? I doubt it.

Oh forgot to comment on the 39. Just plain Crazy Money IMO. I still believe the potential for more high grade examples being made of this date still is present. Twenty years from now maybe the price would be in line. Right now, No Way.

Ken
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Ken,

I am watching this item, a 20-S and a 19-D. Also, just for laughs a 23-S in 66FB (currently at $13,000 2 PM EST). Prices do seem strong. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome
    I'm suprised the 23S is not higher. I suspect it will be before 10PM tonight. The watchful eye has been on that one also. Just a dream for me though. image

Ken
  • An MS68 anything before 1990 is a tough coin not to mention a dime from the 30's.
  • The 23-s in 66fb will go for 20k or so. which 19-d and 20s are you watching??
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
    Tim I agree on the 23S. If it does not something is wrong with how some folks view the date.

Ken
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Tim,

I am watching the No Bands 19-D and 20-S. I would like to bid on the 20-S in 65, but I am certain it will go to a floor bidder. I dont know anyone attending, so I guess I will have to pass on that coin.

The 20-S is a tough coin in both NB and FB. I really wish this were a Baltimore show where I could attend the auction.
  • I still have my 39 p in ms68 no bands and would be happy to have it go at auction for $540 plus!

someone must really want that one!

edited
    after looking at the picture the only think I can think of is that the bands look fully split and they want a 68fb