Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just for fun – Wisdom you learned over the years

2»

Comments

• Options
    Three important things:

The first i learned when i was 18. I met Jack Grimm, original finder of the Titanic and rich oil guy. I asked him what should i do to become
    successful. He said "stay in school as long as you can." I did and i am glad.

Second thing. Be a hero in your own little world. To your family, your employees and your friends. You can be someone special that
    people admire and look up to. To do this, just take your eye off yourself and focus on others.

Third thing. The obvious paradoxes that exist were put there by the creator to alert us to his existence. There is a natural progression
    of thought and action with regard to the recognition of these paradoxes and the concommitant realization that there is a God. It leads
    to purpose and joy. It is my opinion that without God your hope of anything other than oblivion is remote. Oblivion is not what you want.

adrian

• Options
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
    dwood

"France said this week they need more evidence to convince them Saddam is a threat. Yeah, last time France asked for more evidence it came rollin thru Paris with a German Flag on it." -Dave Letterman
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expand on what Anaconda says.

Even Satan believes in God - that's not the issue. It's what you decide to do with that realization is important - follow or reject.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ONE THAT IS TRULY APPLICABLE TO THIS FORUM: "Never argue with a fool--they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience."

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    I learned from a friend.....

If you are going to sleep around don't shower before you go home to the wife!!!

She'll know for sure! image
  • Options
    Where ever you go...... There you are !!!!!

The grass is always greener over the septic tank.........

Any man that owns his own home...... DESERVES IT !
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it's over, no one ever wishes they had spent one more day at the office.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    when it rains at a funeral, the angels are crying

when a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with the experience gets the money and the man with the money gets the experience

I can't believe how much smarter my Dad got as he got older

In the course of your life, you will have many acquaintences, but if you are lucky, a small handful of friends

keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer

keep your eyes and ears open and keep your mouth shut - two eyes, two ears, one mouth - it's that way for a reason

think before you do

do your thinking with the big head

treat your customer like your friend and your friend will always be your customer

enough one liners - here is what I have learned. If you are young enough to have two parents, never let an opportunity go by to appreciate them.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I have learned that every thing i eat turns to crap. image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    When I was little, I watched a TV show called, "Captian Penny". His motto was, "You can fool some of the poeple all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool mom."

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    also, occam's razor, below.
  • Options
    I got a great one from a fortune cookie a couple of years ago:

"Delay is the antidote for anger."

I have it taped just above my coat hanger at work. I look at it every day (well, not in warm weather when I don't wear a coat!).
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    as an aside, regarding fortune cookies, the wway to read a fortune cookie is to add the words "in bed" to the end.

gives everything a whole new meaning.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty
    E Pluribus Unum
    Mind You Business
    Tempus Fugit
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had decided on the content of my last post while I was still reading page one.
    Then I ran into Billjones' post. It occurs to me that there are some mottos on
    Iraqi coinage which seem to closely mirror his apparent beliefs. This isn't really
    what's really meant by darkside, but perhaps some people are simply collecting
    the wrong coins or not loyal to the same concepts.

grammar
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If I ,as a bear get racked, its not me you will have to worry about,

Its Mrs Bear. She is very protective of her husband bear and will chastise and maul

any such adventursome and misguided soul into lawn mulch.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    As for what I ahave learned in my 64 years it can be stated as follows:

Do what is right in your heart,then no matter what the outcome, you can stand proud

and at peace with yourself.

Be slow to anger and quick to forgive.

Be generous with compassion, to those who are in great emotional pain.

Never tolerate being lied to, laid a hand on or having my word or my integrity challanged.

Being able to say I am sorry ,when I have wronged another.

Be tolerant of each persons right to live their own lives as they wish. As long as it does not

infringe upon the freedom or security of my own life or the lives of my family.

This then are the truths I have learned in my long journey and my quest . Bear

Camelotimage
  • Options
    A friend in need...is a pest!
    Twowood
  • Options
    This one has actually seen me through some hard times:

And this too shall pass.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options

<< <i>This one has actually seen me through some hard times:

And this too shall pass.

Clankeye >>

Ah my prophetic friend, too true.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    If a man doesn't make a mistake now and then - it's because he's not really doing anything.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    "I got a great one from a fortune cookie a couple of years ago:

'Delay is the antidote for anger.'"

Hey, i think that was meant for me!

I got one once that said:

"You like Chinese Food."

• Options
    My life motto:

If you stab me do I not bleed?

If you tickle me do I not laugh?

If you poison me do I not die?

And if you wrong me shall I not revenge?

Toast on
  • Options
    Thank you Merchant of Venice Cointoast.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    There is no Santa Claus in Numismatics

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

The quickest way to give a friend amnesia is to lend him money

Everyone has aa photographic memory, some just don't have film in the camera.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    A clean desk is an empty mind.
  • Options
    For the Wiccans out there:

An ye harm none, do as ye will.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    ahah Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Wisdom, about matters such as this subject, is like, a fan it sucks inone end, and blows out the other end.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file