Home U.S. Coin Forum

Barber collectors, we see so few Barbers on the board

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
So how about the few Barber collectors on the board post some coins here. I'd love to see some. They don't need to be "Monsters" to appreciate. Thanks, I'll start with a coin graded ms63 by pcgs. Nothing fancy but a nice original and pleasing piece.
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it so difficult to locate attractive Unc. Barbers of any denomination that I wound up buying buying proofs, vs. business strikes.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its no where near unc, but a good date to say the least?imageimage
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found it so difficult to locate attractive Unc. Barbers of any denomination that I wound up buying buying proofs, vs. business strikes. >>

Agreed, I like proofs also. I also appreciate an original toned Barber even if some might find them unattractive.
    Why do I appreciate this? Because it is tough to find ones that haven't been played with.
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    ARCO has links to his entire Barber collection. The consistent attractiveness of his coins is both beautiful and highly concerning. I am sure he will reply to this thread.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    "we see so few Barbers on the board"
    Most are so non-lovely nobody wants to show them?
    I'm glad you asked for "original" and not pretty.

imageimage

This one has some pretty.

imageimage
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you MorganBarber! Not sure if other collectors love circulated pieces as much as myself, but will post some for those who may enjoy them.

Anaconda's sold Proof Barber Half. Proof 68 Barber Half

My last three purchases
    1908-S XF
    1903 XF
    1895 XF

my link... if you are bored to the point of madness and have already rearranged the sock drawer, and now need anything to keep from losing your mind.

Very fine and Higher Barbers
  • Those are some beautiful Barbers. image I'm jealous. None of my Barbers are any better than VG. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
    Hey, there we go. I knew people had them. Maybe you're right Dog, maybe people don't show them cause they might not be so pretty sometimes. But as you know I like the ugly Barbers. And I'm glad a lot of people think the original ones are ugly. It keeps the price down.

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far, and post them if you got them.image
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

This puppy is cooking at PCGS and I'm hoping for a PR62 (it's got a spot on the reverse in the arrows)

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are nothing special, but I kind of like them
    edited to add reverse scans

1901s dime

1913s quarter

• still lookin round the mile hi metro..............notta that I would $ for.
    wore out-problems-toooo high end!!!!!!!!!!!notta collectable.
    lost that 3c, wait till ya shovel the driveway!
    ctf
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relayer,

I had a PR 65 Barber Qtr with a few small spots near the rim. The haze on your coin will be the grade limiting factor, not the spot.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Hard to find, yes, but worth the effort. If someone in my area with scanning capabilities will arange to scan my barbers during the northwest show i'd be more than happy to have the pics on the site. The only thing i've found harder to find than nice original barber halves is nice original seated halves with great color and no luster breaks between the elbow and knee to the right of the portrait [which is why i'm still looking for one] sob.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorites (in terms of color depth). A common date, but it has nice rich original skin.

PCGS MS64 1894-P (obv)
    PCGS MS64 1894-P (rev)

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'll get it put in it's protective plastic soon, just hope the great luster blinds the eye and hides the little scratch that shows up so well when you "drop and scan" for a picimage

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbers are soooo tough to find nice, wheather you are looking for circulated, MS or PF coins. Here is a scan of a coin with great color near the lower obverse rim that is actually electric blue with deep chestnut around it while the reverse is circled by the same chestnut color and blue within it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• STMAM
    just as there is a girl that can cook well, but homely as a mud fence- so are there Barbers out there. reckon I'm still lookin for both
    some day the gem shall show. had one but gave it away . $ 1/2 reflect the barber crisis. got ta be a bunch hangin out from when we didnt give a rip.
    a.v.b.
    ctf
    Tom - I LOVE that dime!

Jdimmick - What did PCGS grade your 01-S quarter? Neat coin!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tom - I LOVE that dime! Jdimmick - What did PCGS grade your 01-S quarter? Neat coin! Dave >>

Dave, that dime is really a thing of beauty, not MS or PR, but a tough date in that condition. I have a 1892s that looks just like tooimage
    That 1913s quarter, for all it's wear and "color" is also a tough one to get, one of my favorites. I wonder how many people spent that before someone stopped to look at it and realized that there were only 40,000 made and it was rare as hell.
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My contribution (PCGS MS-65 ... the scratches are on the slab):
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

• sweet , thx. for sharin with image
    ctf
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom, and Dave

Its in an older green label holder. PCGS encapsulated it in a VG-10. If you go by the lettering alone, I would grade the obverse a nice VG-8. But the reverse is darn near on the back door of a Fine, that along with the rim definition on the front must have been the reason for the overall grade of vg-10. (8 or 10, I really didnt care, because I liked the originality of the piece.) The photo's are not the best of quality.

I bought this coin a couple of years ago right before the big price movement, so I am sitting in it pretty well. I was actually looking for a PCGS-15, but never saw one come available, and now the price has gotten astronomical so I dont know if I will get the chance, especially right now with some of the reason big purchases I made?????

jim dimmick
  • I'm still going to work at getting the right photos of this coin. It is IMO the nicest one I own. It's a 1915 PCGS PR66 near CAM.
    Oldcameoproofsguy, I think you're imaging has been great lately. Big difference, mirrors show real nice and looks probably what the coin looks like. Thanks for posting, and thanks for everyone else posting their Barbers.
  • After seeing all these Barbers, I am melting the ones I own and starting over.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful '01-S quarter, Jim. Hard to top a "perfect original" key date that no one ever has! image
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    looks better in person
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Here's a new one just in (not yet on the website). It is a 1899-S 10c in PCGS MS 65 (pop 1/8).

WH
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    looks better in person i could post others but the files are too big!!!!!

sincerely michael
  • This one speaks for itself.

Jim -

Thanks for the details about the 01-S quarter. It is an AWESOME coin. Period!

It is so rare to see an original 01-S above AG or Good, yours really jumped out at me. What a coin! Good work.

Dave

P.S. If you ever think about selling it, CALL ME!
  • Tom, that dime is a beauty.image

Here's my 60¢ worth. Neither is a key date or high grade, but both look wonderfully unmolested to me. Both were also bought from board members.image

BC
    Dip Happens...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file