Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1st Post - Grading services ?

I have been reading the forum for awhile this is my first post, I am going to ask a very touchy question. Can anyone explain to me why there is such a huge difference in price's of coins graded by different companies. Example 1986-2002 17 coin set MS69 SAE Icg $245, NGC $450 and PCGS $950. I have read the PCGS vs NGC threads recently that talk of quality, but what about the money issue is the old saying true, you get what you pay for? I am a rookie have only been "in" for about a year. image

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Big! IMO it is demand, demand and demand!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a preceived value in PCGS graded Moderns over the others.
    Also, in MS69- there are a couple of (grade) scarce coins with the ASE's, namely the 1993 and 1996 (or, is that 1994?).

Welcome!

peacockcoins

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned, there is a perceived difference in the grading standards among the various grading companies. The best approach is to examine enough coins to make the judgement for yourself, but that's quite a challenge for most of us who attend a very few shows in a year and have few if any large local dealers. Unless you're around the stuff all the time, it's very difficult to gain the experience needed to make vey fine grading distinctions. This is especially true if you're talking about considering only the "upper tier" grading companies. Differences, if any, among them can be very slight, and then it's only "on average". A given 69 in slab A can and will be better than a 69 in a slab B, even though the average slab B may be better than the average slab A. The best you can do is study as much of the stuff as you can find, and arrive at your own conclusion. Welcome!
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! Got proof JFKs?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Be Bop A Lula!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forum Bigern! I look forward to your continued partication here. image

There is a definite perception of higher "value" attached to the PCGS holder. If you have the time to search through lots of coins, you can definitely find a high quality coin in other holders. Very few here will agree with me. However, I always look at your contemplated purchase in a couple of ways. I can buy the PCGS Set and know that the Set is in the hobby's most prized holder. Or, I can buy the Set in the ICG holder and have enough money left over for 2 or 3 high grade, high quality DCAM Franklins. Personally, I prefer the later! image
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    hello, and welcome to the forum.image, pcgs was the first to start this grading bussiness, ngc was the second, people in general will always think of the first company. since they started it all. if possible, look at as many coins as you can, and whatever you do try your very best to learn how to grade your coins! and the only way to do that is to look at as many as you can, go to dealers, and as many shows as you can. ask a lot of questions.. there are also many good books on the market also. dont become a slave to someones standards, as over time thier standards can change. once you become knowledgeable, you will know what to look for.....first do you know how coins are made?... from the metal strip to the plantchet...to the striking from the die, to finished coin? what flow lines are?, reeding? feilds? its not as hard as one might think, however once you know what these are, you will better understand why the coin looks like it does.image
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Hello Bigern and welcome aboard! PCGS has the reputation for being the strictest of the grading services, and as such their coins command a premium. Safe way to go when you first start, then when you become more familiar with grading you can start 'buying the coin, not the holder'! There are lots of solid coins to be found in other holders, and searching for them can be a lot of fun!image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. It is the old vhs vs beta discussion. Perception says PCGS is the best and they have built a great reputation. It will be hard to knock them down from the number one position.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    And, whether true or not, PCGS and NGC are believed to grade more consistently and with higher quality standards than the others. And PCGS is generally seen as being the best in those categories while companies like PCI and ACG are considered the worst by some. I have seen nice coins in other holders, but I see better coins in PCGS and NGC and the occassional ANACS holder.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here's a Big Fat Welcome for ya.

As long as you stay with PCGS or NGC on SAEs you will be OK. Run from the other grading services. Much of the price difference for the PCGS vs others had to do with perceived condition rarities about a year ago and the high demand for registry sets. However, the grading services have been bombarded with SAEs lately and surprise, surprise, no condition rarities really exist. Expect all SAE prices to level out in the next couple of years.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file