Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I like British coins!

Awhile back I bought a group of Britannias and I've since been taking a longer look at British coins. The Brits don't seem to as enamoured of slabbed coins as we are but I still see an occasional PCGS slab here and there. As a matter of fact, I don't see as much reference to grading as I do in the American market, but the slab issue and the grading question might just be a reflection of my ignorance of their market.
Nevertheless, I find that their coins,very generally speaking, have more eye appeal than ours. Twowood

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    They have 10 different reverse designs for their circulating £1 coin that they randomly alternate every year. image

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting point of view to be expressed on the US Forum... There are some really attractive British coins such as the Victorian Gothic Crown and Florin. The Edward VII Florin with the standing Britannia reverse is appealing too. There are other British coins too numerous to mention that are highly sought after because of their design and history and are finally being appreciated for their true rarity... collectors are entitled to express their thoughts regarding whether US or British coins are more attractive, however, in the matter of taste there is no dispute. Buy and collect what makes you happy... just take the time to look, view and explore the coinage of other countries, including the UK. You may be pleasantly surprised...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few of my British purchases since I slipped over to the darksideimage
    The same quality in the U.S. Market is out of reach but for only a few.

• Options
    See signature link!

Scott you blinded me!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Other then Ebay does anyone have any good links to dealers of Britt coins? I am still looking for some Britt Gold coins and Silver of course.

Edited to add: What is the meaning of (DARK SIDE)?

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Darkside = World and ancient coins Greyside= Canadian coins Lightside = US coins I think someone here "coined" the phrase some time ago.
  • Options
    I really like the Gothic Crown coins. They look great and I bet are really something in person. My luck though, I bet they are some of the most expensive of the lot.
  • Options
    Did Askari coin 'darkside'?
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    that gothic crown is outstanding. very beautiful coin. i've been teetering ont he egde of the darkside myself and this may push me over.

is that coin ridiculously expensive?
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Gothic Crowns are probably the most popular among British coins. I think Scott's PCGS PR66 is the finest known (slabbed). PR61-64 would probably run around $800 to $1600. As a compromise, folks get the Gothic Florin which has a similar design, is slightly smaller and minted over few years. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Baccaruda and coinrookie, To give you an idea of value I can say the the little gothic shown as the second coin in my post above I was offered $2250 by my dealer. I didn't accept and you know the dealer would be selling it for more than the offered price. There is also one currenly on ebay with a starting price of $1700...I would question that price due to the amount of disturbance in the bottom of the left obverse field. The coin is impaired and shouldn't command that sort of price. If you're interested in knowing the price of the bottom gothic in my post than PM me. Scott
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    cache,

if i were a millionaire i'd give you whatever you wanted for that coin. unfortunately the pictures will have to do.

that is quite possibly the most beautiful coin i've ever seen. is that picture representative of the true toning?
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    There is some nice coins in the scans above.The Gothic Crown was voted the most beautiful coin in the world.
    I live in the Isle Of man here in the U.K. and because I sell on e-bay U.K. I get plenty of e-mails from U.S. collectors as they keep saying the U.K. coins are far dearer in the U.S. than here in the U.K.
    We also tend not to go in for slabbing or colouring the coins like you do in the U.S.Our coins are silver just like yours in the U.S. but we don't get many purpley,Bluey,Pinky,Greeny,Reddy,ones over here like you lot get....!!The only multi coloured British coins I see tend to be on E-Bay U.S..!

Regards , ManxMan
  • Options

<< <i>is that picture representative of the true toning? >>

No, The color is more intense.

I only have two British coins that are slabbed (the Gothic and the George IV MS67 right above it)....I don't know if it is mere coincidence that they are the two that are most expensive. I do know that I would rather they were all raw and kept in a coin cabinet. I have been persuaded to keep the two in their slabs...at least for the time being but I think these beautiful coins deserve freedom from the clunky plastic tombs. S
  • Options
    MAnxman you got any links to any UK Dealers Wesite that deal in this stuff?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Bill........The main dealer for Britannia's in the U.K. offered me sheets of 20 of the new ones for 185 pounds.This is around trade price as I am trade.
    Here is some links to U.K. dealers websites............

www.coincraft.com

www.celticcoins.com

www.colincooke.com

www.christophereimer.co.uk

www.eastkentcoins.com

www.iamcoins.co.uk

www.chards.co.uk I deal with this man a lot.

www.roderickrichardson.com

www.baldwin.sh

www.spink-online.com

www.simmonsgallery.co.uk

www.warickandwarick.com

www.historycoin.com

www.ringramcoins.com

I have hundreds more if you want them.I also post my old U.K. coin magazines to U.S. collectors when I am finished with them.I also have two U.S. friends who buy on e-bay U.K.I work as a go-between for them as the coins are usually bought on a 'Post to the U.K.' only basis so they get the seller to post them to me and I post them on the the U.S. clients.One of the main problems with the U.K. postal service is we can't get insured postage to the U.S. very cheap.We can get signed for delivery to the U.S. but they won't insure the packages.......Bummer.

Regards ,ManxMan
  • Options
    Thanks for the Links. I dealt with Chard once. I got my 2001 1/4 ounze Proof Gold Britannia from them. I sure wish they would do online sales and take credit cards or paypal. It seams wierd to have someone like them only do mail order with checks.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Here are the main differences between US and Brit collectors:

1. Most serious Brit collectors have an 1804 Dollar.

2. US collectors think of the 1790s as "the early stuff," we view is as just cooling of from the coin press.

3. Everybody has a BU Morgan, anywhere that has three or more coins for sale will have Morgans. medieval Groats, BU George III silver and Charles II Crowns are not so easy to find.

4. We don't care if that Halfcrown is a PQ 4 or a low end 5.

5. The world existed before 1793, we already knew that, you have yet to discover it.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides the "foreign" designs and distressing lack of dead presidents their
    coins are much better made. Mint set British coins are almost universally
    mark free and well struck. Seems the Brits don't care much about collecting
    the moderns (hot off the dies) either.

Sure British coins are great but why do they have to be so dang alien?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

they are very pretty coins.
  • Options
    Plus some have some great toning.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice coins. Thanks for sharing.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Scott where'd the City View go?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I removed it because in my haste to post something I didn't realize it wasn't British until I had it posted...and this thread extolls British coins.

What the hay....a Darkside is a Darkside, right? Here you go...

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file