Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Open Up the Registeries, once and for all.

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bottom line: You don't want others to "see" your set(s), don't register them until you do.

ALL sets should be opened up for viewing. It's a 'REGISTRY' guys! If you want a place to privately park your inventory, seek it elsewhere.

Registry Administrator: Give those with closed Registeries two weeks Then kill the feature that allows sets to be closed.

peacockcoins

Comments

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMEN braddickimage
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    AGREED!!

Let the people keep their sets registered, just don't let them be listed in the standings.
  • That is one way to get alot of people mad at your registry and not buy exculsively your coins. Try to think about it from their perspective Braddick. I don't like, not seeing what coins are in each set, but don't mind it that bad to issue a two week decree like you.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Yes open or you can not play
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea !!.... No Pictures and Your Gone Also !!!... How do we know these are just not Certs ??....Clean this Mess Up !!.....Now !!

• While we are at it, you have to have a 90% complete set before posting, all white coins and all in the new blue label holders! Forget it. PCGS has allowed it this long and probably won't change it.

Cameron Kiefer
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yea !!.... No Pictures and Your Gone Also !!!... How do we know these are just not Certs ??....Clean this Mess Up !!.....Now !! image >>

Okay, okay- but if you're going to that extreme, give me more time. . . image

Cameron- I know what you mean, but they'll shake it off and get over it.
    It's not that painful.

peacockcoins

90%.....Beans to that, it must be 95% or above. Get rid of the Rif Raff !!! Now !!!
  • I am just trying to give the other view point before everyone gets on the badwagon and gets ready to lynch the tops sets that are unviewable.

The coins are still theirs and will be the #1 set even if PCGS makes them take it off. It won't fool anybody and your set (directed at no-one in particluar) will not get higher up.

Cameron Kiefer

<< <i>90%.....Beans to that, it must be 95% or above. Get rid of the Rif Raff !!! Now !!! >>

That's kind of already in play. A Set that hasn't seen action, after a period of time, is placed on notice by the Administrator.

For now let's just concentrate on getting rid of the riff. The raff will come later. . .

peacockcoins

Screw 95%. I love seeing all those stunning sets with 3% complete. Those are sets that deserve to be recognized by the collecting comunity.

Face it, the PCGS goal is to get as many sets registered as possible. It doesn't matter to them that 90% of these sets are useless/jokes/junk. Yeah, yeah, yeah they are important to the owner, but let's get real.
    Naw.... the 1% sets that have been up for 1+ years are more stunning. image
  • A set has to start somewhere. Not everyone can be in the top. My set is a joke then (60% complete after a few years) and I should delist it. I don't think so.

Cameron Kiefer
    OK....I know everyone must start somewhere.....but a 1% Merc Set that only takes 30 bucks too add a new coin. Man those guys are Dead Serious about finding the correct dime. Yea Right. Deep 6 the things. image
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face it, the PCGS goal is to get as many sets registered as possible

Then start providing "Registry Grades" for DNC coins!!!! It's more inclusive while maintaining a level playing field.
    Cameron is your Set Hidden or showing no progress ??.......Sense of humor "Good Guy".....Huh..Huh..Huh !!!

• Fairlaneman:

You are ready to nix your own fellow merc collector because he started a set with 1 coin? What if he plans to buy one coin each week and add to his set. The idea of deep 6ing him because he started his set with one coin won't help people to like to collect mercury dimes. My set is open and with pics. It started with 1 coin though.

Cameron Kiefer
    To Late TDN....I sold all of those NGC Coins....Like a Dumb Ass !!!image
    Naw.... the 1% sets that have been up for 1+ years are more stunning. image

I didn't want to sound like an elitest. image

A set has to start somewhere. Not everyone can be in the top. My set is a joke then (60% complete after a few years) and I should delist it. I don't think so.

Yes, a set has to start somewhere. However, that doesn't mean it has to be listed the day you buy your first coin.

As a sample, I took a look at proof Kennedys. 93 sets registered. Sets #65-93 have less than 20% completed. 18 of those sets have <=5 coins.

PCGS needs to restrict the set from "showing up" until a minimum percentage is complete.
    The Sets with 1 coin that were here before me Cameron. Heck those are going on 2 years with No Movement Period. New Folks ....Heck No, as you said a person must start somewhere. image
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think they should be open. Not like you have to have your name there or anything that identifies you. Don't have to show your email. Why not open it up?
    nwcs- They'll tell you its a competition thing. They don't want other Set Holders to see the coins that need upgrading or whatever. If that's the case, delist and then relist when you're ready to show.

It's just that coming across a number one set and having it "black" (unclickable) is bogus.

Show Us Your Coins!
    Or not.

peacockcoins

• The coins are still theirs and will be the #1 set even if PCGS makes them take it off. It won't fool anybody and your set (directed at no-one in particluar) will not get higher up.

#1 Registered Set -- There are many sets that are composed of phenomenol NGC coins that PCGS doesn't recognize, and many more sets that aren't registered that are superior to anything out there. image
    Keith ™

• Cameron,

A lot of the Type guys go ahead and register their single coins into the series sets. I have a Morgan for Type that qualifies for three different sets. Or a guy has a Modern Type set, CS only, that they register the exact same set in the Modern Type, CS & PR, category.

I just looked and found out that with my Type coins, I am eligible for 51 sets at PCGS. Wouldn't be so funny if it weren't for the fact that I own 56 coins, and three of them are Half Dimes, for which no series set exists (in spite of heavy requests). Is that the PCGS Registry guarantee? If you own a PCGS coin, we have a set for you?
    Keith ™

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I hear the competition thing, but still don't see what the big deal is. I mean, consider football and basketball games. All their stuff is statistical and open. Any player can compare against another (usually to their own peril in defocusing!!) but it allows us outside to see and enjoy and compare. I mean, these are just sets -- not national defense plans!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Its funny how the very same people who decry that "Nobody can tell me what to do,what

to think and what to say" all of a sudden want the Registry to change the existing rules

and give everyone ultimatums. Only a few sets are closed off and I personally dont really care.

I just think that we already have too many rules and regulations in this country and I dont need

any more in my hobby. Also anything that would anger a segment of the hobby thru changing rules

would not be good for the bussiness that provides us with the Registry and the free Forums.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • GTOsterGTOster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭
    You want to nix sets with 4% completion then I guess PCGS had better speed up there grading time for turn around as I don't buy slabbs but submit raw and so far am not doing to bad But I can see your point of a set being there for a year with no additions Makes you wonder why?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Registry is less correctly thought of as having as many sets registered as possible as it is about having as many new coins certified as possible.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Also anything that would anger a segment of the hobby thru changing rules would not be good for the bussiness that provides us with the Registry and the free Forums.

Yet, it is OK to anger a segment of the hobby thru not changing the rules?

Who knows, maybe there are a lot of people that refuse to register their sets because they don't like the policy of allowing people to hide their sets?
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Greg - You cant please all the people , all the time. It seems to me that PCGS has a lot of

big problems on its plate and this issue is probably not at the top of their list.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • There are many reasons to not show a set---but, frankly, I don't believe any of them. Take Honeycutt, for example. If he comes to anyone (dealer or collector) looking for a PR70DCAM Kennedy half dollar, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that maybe that is a coin he is missing. So I agree with many that if you don't want to show your set, then take it off the registry. While I have tried to post images of all my sets (and I wish everyone would), I'm not sure I agree with making that a requirement, since it does take a substantial amount of time to actually image all the coins in a set.

Pete
    Hey Pete the Image thing was said with a smile on the face. Certainly rational people cannot expect everyone to run out and buy a camera just so some images can be seen in the Registry. Time wise, heck, it only took about 8 hours every time it was done. We older,unrational, folks have nothing but time on our hands. image

Ken
  • ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I would not mind a set being hidden: --up to a point. When any set is 100% complete, THEN IT SHOULD BE REVEALED, because there is no reason not to at that point.
  • Let me address this to Pat because he put up this post, but anyone else with an answer can chime in:

Does it benefit you, as a collector, if all were required to post details of their registry sets? If so, what do you see as the benefit(s) or advantage(s)?

I personally see some minor benefits, but wonder what others see, especially those collectors that seem to be angry and so adamant about this!

I can well understand it might help dealers, but I wonder what the benefits are to fellow collectors. It may be that there are no direct benefits, but it’s just a matter of satisfying curiosity – which is OK too I suppose.

Viewing sets in the Registry allows a collector an opportunity to see what coins, if any, are missing in top grades. It also helps in determining scarcity/rarity ratio (the Pops don't tell the full story).

It's also fun to spend time a view other sets.
    I would think, afterall, that is one of the main reasons why anyone would take the time to post a Registry. Isn't it to share (and, ok- maybe to brag a little?).

Now, how about an answer to this: What is the advantage of registering a closed set?

peacockcoins

• Just noticed that the Honeycutt sets are now "open" for our viewing(drooling) pleasure...at least the couple sets I checked.

I had noticed a couple days ago when I felt the breeze of him passing everyone to the #1 spot in the Washington Proof set that the set had been closed. Was pretty disappointed not to be able to view the set but it really had no direct affect on me since I'll never be able to challange the set. The set probably didn't carry that much weight with me since I didn't actually know what was in it...now it does!! Just a curiosity thing for me I guess.

Thanks for sharing Honeycutt and congrats on your #1 Washington set.

Ronman image
  • Now, how about an answer to this: What is the advantage of registering a closed set?

Someone with closed sets should be the one to answer this question. However, I imagine that they want that pride of positioning that comes with registering it, yet want to keep their set needs private because of concerns that dealers will “put it to them” or that competitors will become more competitive and find some way to preclude their getting coins.

Over on the PSA side, I know a couple of registry set collectors who will run their compeitors up on a card in an auction because they know he needs it, and even try to buy it so their competitor won’t have it.

I’ve observed that the competition at top rungs of the registry is often intense, and not made up of the good-spirit and fun-times that middle-of-the-roaders have.

Now, you could argue that if they don’t want to show then they shouldn’t list – showing is the price of listing! I suspect that some will then just not list. Will that, in your opinion, make the registry better?

Gerry, I'm not sure if your question is retorical in nature, but at the risk of believing it isn't, will answer.
    The Registry is improved when it becomes enjoyable for all to navigate and "see". It's a visual thing. The first step is seeing the placement of the set compared to others and then the coins it contains to award the spot it is in. Again, the Registry isn't for the sole purpose for collectors to post an inventory (that is essentially what a closed set is), but a place to not just register the set, but register the COINS.

-Next would be photos of the coins.

If there was a counter indicating the 'hits' each set received I'd have to imagine the sets with photos of the coins would receive the most, followed by the sets that detail the coins within. Of course the closed sets would receive no 'hits' as there is nothing to open up and view.

PCGS's error was in ever allowing closed sets to Register.
    That error can now be corrected though by eliminatation of the ability to post a closed set.
    And, for further clarification, PCGS wouldn't drop those sets that are now closed. It would be up to each Set Holder to choose what to do with their set. Allow it to remain, as is- but now opened for viewing, or delete the set completely.

peacockcoins

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is an example of a set that has been closed. Link
    If this set were to be "dismissed" from the registry for being closed, a Roosie collector may get the feeling that there were ms68s available, ie., not "nailed down" in reg. sets, where that is not the case. At least in this case, one can tell that many of the available 8s are registered.
    Isn't it better to let all know that these pcgs 8s are claimed, rather than allow a collector to unknowlingly "target" the ostensibly "available" coins?
    Although, it probably wasn't much fun to find out, I'd bet Danny, Sonny, and Butch were glad to be "in the know" at the time this set was on the "current finest" list.
    ps. Originally, this set was closed due to the reasons mentioned previously, in a word, "targeting".
    Steve, Isn't that set completely broken up now? (As evidenced from not being in the Top Five Current Finest.) If so, I am missing your point.
    You are always the voice of reason, so the lack of understanding must be blamed on me.
    With that stated, please help me in comprehending your point.

peacockcoins

The set is completely intact, if not improved. image
    But no longer listed on the Registry?

Would you PM the details.

peacockcoins

I'll let you know the thought process here:
    Basically, the Roosie mkt. was dead. It wasn't too tough to put together a set of pcgs 7s. The exitement was in the 8s, and they were few and far between, to say the least. I was lucky enough to have an example from most each date where an 8 was made, and when one became available, I usually got it, or made it.
    Then, after further stagnation in the market, I felt that such a dominance was killing the market, or at least the desire to compete in the registry. There were many trying to "make" 8s, but few collecting them.
    The resurgence of Roosies is terrific. Good luck to all still "in the race". Roosies are one of the best series. Lotsa "bang for the buck".
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    One question: Why?

How can it possibly affect you if you can't see what coins someone else has or if someone only has 1 coin, or 3 coins? What possible impact can that have on your life? Your set? Your anything?

Okay, that was about 5 questions...but I think I made my point.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>If you want a place to privately park your inventory, seek it elsewhere. >>

Are you referring to any corporation in particular, or just in general?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty emphatic that the set owners should have the option of having their sets closed. For many of us collectors, one of the big appeals of the registry is that it arouses our competitiveness. In any competition, it can get pretty serious and heated. The drive to succeed is what makes human beings human.

In any serious competition, it usually makes much sense NOT to divulge any more information than absolutely necessary. When you play a friendly game of poker with your buddies, do you show your cards as they're being dealt?

Perhaps it is more rational and reasonable not to get so competitive; why not spread the fun of collecting? But, you shouldn't legislate your opinion. This issue isn't nearly as extreme as, say, the forced conversion of the Sephardim in Iberia or living in Taliban-held Afghanistan. But, the issue is clear to me: you shouldn't force your opinion upon others. Not unless there is a more compelling reason than that it'll be neato to spread the joy of collecting...

Our laws, ostensibly, are there to serve the public weal. Is this issue even remotely analogous?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

The "poker" analogy is a good one.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    At the very high end of some series that are very competitive, I can certainly understand not displying your holdings. The price of a needed pop top coin could go up thousands in the keys (and non keys for some sets) for these top end coins. If you are .03 behind the top set, one grade on one coin can make a difference.

Personally, I take great pride in my one humble little set that ranks in the teens. I am a LONG way from completion, but I enjoy sharing the journey. I will never be in competition with the deep pocket collectors and I have no problem with any of that. This hobby has to be fun.

What would be very nice (another thread perhaps, but who cares) is if PCGS would provide a scan if requested for coins when they are graded. This would help increase the popularity of the registry and help the camera/scanner challenged like myself.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
    I have, for years, tried to get pcgs to take an image of a coin when grading.
    What a huge benefit that would be for those wanting to post an image of their coin(s), as well as a huge benefit for the collecting public.
    I'd gladly pay for the service, and I don't understand the lack of desire to add this new profit center.
    I can understand the board's collective opinion that registry sets should include images. I wish I had that capability.
    If images ever become requirements of the registry, I would hope I wouldn't feel forced to buy photography equipment. (Or worse, I'd have to learn how to use it.)
  • I'd gladly pay for the service, and I don't understand the lack of desire to add this new profit center.

RC,

I completely agree. This a service that NGC offers for a token fee ($3 if memory serves), and for those who want to display their coins but don't have the equipment of the technical know-how, it would be an invaluable service.
    Keith ™