Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

"Kool Aid Drinkers" ?? Please Explain. Thanks.

Some where, some how I have missed what this term means in the one and one half years here. Please explain this to me.

Hey Don't be Bashful !! Even if you Do Not like me give a explanation anyway !!

Thanks.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    PM sent
    Keith ™

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, come on Keith... Explain it here. I'm dying for another zillion-post thread!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I am also cunfuzed...and i dont no how to read my pm so please tell me here. image

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Think Rev. Jones and 900 dead people.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Inquiring minds want, to know. image,
    Dan
  • Options
    LOL!

Good one, Russ!

EVP

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Too funny! imageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    So you mean Kool Aid is short for cyanide-laced Kool-Aid ?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That would be correct.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The cyanide laced Kool Aid was drunk by hundreds of residents of the cultlike enclave

called Jonestown in Guiana. Apparently fearful of revelations of the truth of the place leaking out,

the cult leader forced the people to drink the poisen often at gunpoint. As I remember it,

a congressman who was investigatind rumours of abuse at the camp, was shot and killed

as he was getting on his private chartered plane to leave. It was a painful experience for me

as a pharmacist acquantence who was a resident of the religious camp, died with his wife

and two small children.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    If you support PCGS in any way or back them up when a member bashes the grading company they call you a PCGS kool-aid drinker. I like the taste and used to have a guy in my sig line drinking kool-aid until the link stopped working.

PASS ME SOME MORE PCGS KOOL-AID.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too funny!!! most who accuse, drink, either from one service's cup or another, just as most who accuse others of being a troll are, also.

in it's simplicity, drinking the koolaid just relates to buying into a particular services hype, being a homer so to speak. where's Harry Carey when you need him!!

al h.image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Al - I think your explination seems to make the most sense. I was not aware of that

particular use of the word , but it seems the most appropriate. By the way, I have been

looking at your logo now for almost a year, isnt it about time to change your socks.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I get it now !!

There can be other types of "Kool Aid Drinkers" also. Like "NGC Drinkers", "Ford Drinkers", "Chevy Drinkers" and so on. Funny how some of the other "Drinkers" are not bashed and run down on these boards within posts to a subject. Seems as though the folks that have a beef with PCGS just have to constantly let it be known with a "Descriptive Term" aimed at others that have no beef with PCGS, or NGC, or Ford, or Chevy and so on.

Hey Thanks. I've Got It Now. Or Do I ?

Ken
  • Options
    Very interesting! Glad the question was asked. Does that then mean that if I use the Kool Aid company's product, in this case buying their coins, listing on their registry, or using their forum, that that makes me a kool aid drinker or just a hypocrite?imageimageimage
  • Options
    It's true that you need not drink Kool-Aid of a specific brand; any blind drinking of Kool-Aid will suffice. Some even drink the hard stuff blindly.

As for why the PCGS Kool-Aid drinkers get bashed so much more often around here is that there simply is more of them around here. IMO, it would be fair game to blast the NGC Kool-Aid drinkers on the CS site.

Also IMO, there is a difference between someone who has a preference due to personal or objective reasons as opposed to one who has a blind preference often obtained due to hype or ignorance. The former, I submit, are not really Kool-Aid drinkers.

For example, if you have a fondness for Frankies because that reminds you of your childhood, then I would not say that you're NOT a Frankie Kool-Aid drinker. But, if you're a serious Frankie proponent simply because the Frankie Memorial Society put out a marketing blitz to try to convince the public that all things Frankie are a God-send... then I'd say that you're a Kool-Aid drinker.

Likewise, if you like PCGS simply because the market places a premium on their slabs for sight-unseen trading, and all you're doing is mercenary, then that's fine. You don't have to care about the reasons; you don't care which holder has more aesthetic appeal and you don't care if a coin is LQ or PQ. All you want to do is to buy low and to sell high and to manipulate the market so you can make more money. That's not being a Kool-Aid drinker. It may be other things, but it ain't a blind devotion to some random company. Why? Because if you're just in it for the money, then you're just being a capitalist. If ACG were to become #1 -- ok, no laughing! -- and you can make money from ACG, then you'd do so too.

JMHO,

EVP

• Options
    AH EVP. So if a person on the Registries or just a buyer of things has a reason, not known to others, for buying PCGS, NGC, Ford, Chevy or any other product of his preference, he will not be included into the Flock of Sheep known as a "Kool Aid Drinker" ?

Guess I have been way to sensitive to this "Descriptive Term" seems how folks here have no clue why I buy PCGS products. Maybe one day some will get the chance to come along with me when I look at coins I want to purchase and then the Light will Shine Brightly for them. In the series I collect any way.

Ken
  • Options
    .........and the prowler is hitting on all 8 cylinders today, whether or not it's GM or Ford makes little difference!!!!! blind devotion is, well, blind.

al h.image
  • Options
    Ken,

I have no idea if you're really a Kool-Aid drinker. Only you know that for certain. IMO, and this is JMO, I'd say that a person is a PCGS Kool-Aid drinker if that person thinks that every sight-unseen PCGS slabbed coin is better, and that everything that HRH says is above scrutiny.

Basically, if you like something for your own reasons -- and they're truly your own reasons -- then that should be fine. If you like something for someone else's reasons, and you refuse to admit it, then you have some serious problems!

(Not ``you'' like Ken, but ``you'' in the generic sense.)

There are plenty around here who've bought into the fiction of the PCGS slab and the supposed numismatic quality that it imparts onto the encased coin. Their excuse? That the market pays more? The market is like sheep, with the hype-sters and marketers the shepherds. Bahhh, bahhh, bahhh... I have no patience for those who drink simply because they are told to drink.

EVP

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I should take credit for coining this phrase on the forums or not.image Others have picked it up since I first used it here. The genesis of the comment comes from a start up sports talk radio show in Chicagao 7 years ago. When talking about the Bears they used the phrase blue and orange Koolaid to describe their affinity for the team. Koolaid came about as a directive from the radio's management not use an alcoholic beverage in the terminology. In protest they picked the silliest drink they could think of and it had no bearing to what happened in Jonestown, although that does add a gruesome aspect to the phrase.

Drinking orange and blue koolaid meant that you were a die-hard Bears fan sometimes to a fault but not necessarily. It means you stick with something through thick and thin, refusing even remotely to root for another team.

So my calling someone a koolaid drinker meant to imply that they were not only loyal PCGS proponents, but refused to acknowledge that other coins in other holders merit the same value, grade etc.
  • Options
    refused to acknowledge that other coins in other holders merit the same value, grade etc

.........that really clears things up!!!!image

al h.image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Al, I only come here to express an opinion and learn, not to clear things up. If you think you can clear things up here, well more power to you. image
  • Options
    hey mike

just being facetious, maybe i should have been clearer in my attempt. image

al h.image
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    If you support PCGS in any way or back them up when a member bashes the grading company they call you a PCGS kool-aid drinker. I like the taste and used to have a guy in my sig line drinking kool-aid until the link stopped working.

Now that isn't a fair or accurate description of the Kool-Aid drinkers. It's if you support PCGS blindly. It's if your first thought when you see a non-PCGS coin is "will it cross?". It's if you look at a non-PCGS coin and automatically think "It'd never grade that at PCGS or it wouold bein a PCGS slab." It's if you see a nice coin and it isn't in a PCGS slab and you think "There must be some bad reason it isn't in a PCGS slab."

That is being a Kool-Aid drinker AKA a PCGS zombie.
  • Options
    People think all the time if a coin will cross or not. That cannot be a basis for being a kool-aid drinker or not. Don't believe me? Then look at all the posts here and we must be all kool-aid drinkers. I like my coins in PCGS slabs and am a proud Kool-aid drinker:

Outside my house:

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike coined the Koolaid phrase? Cool! I coined "across the street" in a post on the NGC forum! We're famous! image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems people who can think for themselves are generally a rare breed.
    One of the most attractive things about numismatics is that there are so
    many who pass on the kool-aid. It does seem more to be human nature
    than a characteristic of our modern age.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OK now it is clear. Referring to Slabbed Coins if a person is so blind that he/she thinks PCGS, NGC, ANACS or whoever puts the best coins in thier slabs and the others are totally inferior he/she is a Kool Aid Drinker. I can go along with that !! Having a closed mind certainly will get you no where in life at all whether its coins or anything else.

IMO there might be a couple of people that do drink the "Aid" around here but in general most are pretty open minded from what has been read.

One Final thing. If you think there is anything better than a "Ford" or "Dodger Blue" you are " Dead Wrong" Now that is "Kool Aid Drinking".

Thanks Guys.

Ken
  • Options
    I'm a fan of Island Blue, but hey, it's also a Ford color. image
    Keith ™

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a die-hard nobody better than DALLAS COWBOY fan and they are silver and blue!

Jon
  • Options
    If IM and TDN can take credit of ``Kool-Aid'' and ``across the street,'' around here, then I want credit for the term ``ostrich.'' The ostrich Kool-Aid drinkers get quite a chuckle across the street.

EVP

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a die-hard nobody better than DALLAS COWBOY fan and they are silver and blue! >>

Thats makes two of us Daddy-o, move over and quit hogging up my team!

Kool AId, yeah right? Nothing but Strawberry Frozen Margaritas are drunk in this house!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter