Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

If your favorite Registry Series doubled overnight, would you sell?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
If the one Series you've invested your heart and soul in (and pocketbook!) were to suddenly take off and the coins within it doubled in value- would you sell?
Would you take the hefty proceeds and start another, sleeper Registery or just take your wife on a year long trip around the world?
(Ok, that last part of the question was just me being silly.)

peacockcoins

Comments

• DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Simply, no.

At least I don't think so. Maybe though. But I doubt it. But you never know. image

I suppose if someone wanted something I had, and would pay double it's current value to own it, I'd probably sell. Might be a good time to get back into the market. So I'd have to at least consider it.

It would be a tough decision though!
    Dan
  • In a heartbeat!! I started collecting this time as an investment, and from there it grew into the knowledge and love of the specific coins. However, as it is in the long run an investment, being that I am not independently wealthy, I am prepared to take money off of the table. Besides, there are other less expensive series that are just as neat and almost as artistic and pretty.
    Dickimageimage
  • I'd sell, and take the wifey on a nice trip around the world to show your undying love, and her undying commitment to you, through all the expensive coins.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain items would go but doubling is not enough for some of the other items. Now if they quadrupled I would say Bye Bye in a mini second.

Greed, heck no, some of the coins are really like.image

Ken
  • It seems my icon
    <<<<<<
    has doubled in the past couple years. Now that is the problem with being a type collector. If I had been collecting proof Buffalos the whole time I would have a bunch of them by now and I'd sell. Since I have only one I don't think I will sell. But, like Ken said, if it doubles again I'll be doing some serious thinking.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    That hypothetical actually happened to me... but you'd have to replace the over night with over six months. I sold. I did keep some coins that were special to me, though.

David
  • WalkerGuy:

In your opinion, what series is less expensive, just as neat, and almost as artistic and pretty as the late date Walker set?

BTW, that kind of happened with my cs IKE set, and I did decide to sell.

Greg
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting question, Braddick. I was actually thinking about something like that today.

I got back into coin collection at the tail end of '99 or so, after the light showed up at the end of my raising-the-kids-expenses tunnel. As it turns out, this was also the tail end of the long, sleep hang-over from the speculative fireball and explosion at the end of the 80's.

I got in as a dabbler and a collector, found prices affordable, and immediately got caught up in the friendships and the general comaraderie of the collector boards.

Now things are heating up in the hobby. Lots of people are taking about rising prices, the impact of new collectors, the Registry, the internet, the State Quarter program, etc. Even now, I'm finding affordable good quality coins spiraling out beyond my means.

I find myself drawn into the vortex, thinking not as single-mindedly about the hobby, but about what to buy, what to sell, when to do it, like some day trader. I really am feeling torn, between the casual, blithe practice of collecting and chatting, and the greed. I find myself on both sides of the debate, when people argue about what to buy in anticipation of rising value, and when others voice the prohibition, to beware bubbles because they burst. I also sense the anger in such debates here, and perceive that such emotion reflects the ambivalence and distress about all this I feel personally.

One almost wishes that coins were still a quiet little back-water, where wierd nerdy people could still ruminate about RPMs and stuff.

Since all that's off my chest and I've made my confession, I can go ahead and answer your question.

Sure.

I just sorta wish it wasn't a question.
  • ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Yes><NO><YES><NO>YES><NO><YES><NO><><><><><YES,YES! ZERBE

• << <i>WalkerGuy:

In your opinion, what series is less expensive, just as neat, and almost as artistic and pretty as the late date Walker set?

BTW, that kind of happened with my cs IKE set, and I did decide to sell.

Greg >>

Greg,
    Actually no series. Just didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings! image Walkers Rule!!image
  • WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Wow.. what a great thread.

I constantly think of the value of my set(s) and am very happy at their appreciation so far. But, if prices doubled, I would have to say yes to some sets and NO to my Washington Silver set. Since I think the series will have a lot more interest tomorrow than it does today. But ultimately, I would base my decision on if I thought the market was completely overdone. The Washington quarter market is first getting some serious collectors and major registry participants.

DPoole.. I have been admiring your Washington series for awhile now. I love the pictures you put in your registry.
    BTW -- You beat me out of the 1955 MS67 on eBay not too long ago. How is that coin in person?

WWQ
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to seriously think about selling some of my coins if prices doubled, but I'd probably hang on to the best example of each type. I wish I'd done that back in 1980 when gold, silver, and coin prices skyrocketed. If I'd sold everything then, I could have paid off the mortgage, and if I was patient, I could have replaced all of the coins a few years later at half the cost.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

No, I like to be consistent.

I'd wait until the price fell 150%, then I'd sell.

Edit:
    I just looked at your type set photos and have to ask you - if your set LOST half it's value overnight, would you sell?

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Sell it and start a new set....after your trip around the world. image

Edson
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I'm going to bed
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WWQ,

It's your average "mint toning" on the 1955. Nothing spectacular about the appearance. The saving grace is the sharp strike for the date. The bidding got up pretty high on that one. You could probably find a better-looking one for that money.

Relayer,

Ain't it the truth! LOL
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with WalkerGuy on this one... I'd sell in a heartbeat. (Well, except for my favorite VAMs.)

In fact, I've already told my best dealer friend where I stand on this issue.

But instead of blowing the proceeds on a trip, I'd pay off the house and then shop for a second one somewhere near the coast.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Absolutely! I'd take the money & run ........but what if it tripled the next day image

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat,

The question you ask torments me just thinking about it... But, I suppose I would ... er, might ... er, maybe ... er, we'll see, depending on the situation!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Is this happening now? Are any sets growning so fast or in popularity that this is happening?

Cameron Kiefer
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 15 Years into this set First 50K and its sold.... Or I'll take 75K for my Ultimate Roosevelt Dime Set.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, I like to be consistent. I'd wait until the price fell 150%, then I'd sell. Edit: I just looked at your type set photos and have to ask you - if your set LOST half it's value overnight, would you sell? >>

Relayer: If my set lost half it's value it would then be at about face.
    I wouldn't sell. I'd spend. image

peacockcoins

• khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I wouldn't sell just so I could lock in a profit.

I might sell because I couldn't afford to add to it (since the coins I didn't have also
    went up in value).

This sort of thing happened with some of my Ike set. I don't feel like I can afford to buy many of the
    top coins but I like the series too much to sell what I have so I'm mostly in a holding pattern.
    If the top coins go down, I'll add to my set. If the top coins go up much more I may choose to sell.

-KHayse
    ps My walkers I'll keep 'til I'm dead image
    pps I take that back, at some price point many of my walkers could be bought from me. I've always wanted to not have a mortgage. image
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Would sell and start over the next day...
    Love the chase image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Great thread..I think I found an interesting solution that works for me at least..with several series like merc. dimes and walkers for instance..when prices seem low i put together several sets at 65,66,67 and 68 levels..when prices moved up a pretty good amount i sold the lower sets and kept the top stuff because i really love em..i did this same thing with commems in a reverse way..built a nice 65 set..then upgraded most all the coins..if the 65's ever move in a solid way i will sell those and keep the top stuff till i get real old and tired..
    bruce scher
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I'd sell. Any offers?
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    You bet your a$$ I would sell. With the money I woulod make I could start collecting

my first love, mouse droppings.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>You bet your a$$ I would sell. With the money I woulod make I could start collecting my first love, mouse droppings. >>

EEEEEWWWWWW Bear!!!!!!!!! That's yucky.

I'm keeping the set until I retire. It darn well better do better than double by then, by golly.
  • To all,

You should always buy two of everything. Then, when prices double for a particular
    coin, you can sell one example and the one you keep will essentially be free!

See, it's really simple! image

Ken
  • I would probally sell a lot if I could just get what the PCGS price guide says they are worth
    then I would be getting more than double. imageimageimage

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
    My Roosevelt Dime set Ultimate Roosevelt Dime Set is no longer for sale, Please no more offers.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't blame you... very nice set, Nick!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registrycoin: Nick was just getting a wee bit nervous that I might just actually buy his set at his asking price imageimageimage

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    ...most likely worth every bit of $75k. image
    Mitch, You did have me "twitching" there for a while. Good thing you didn't say Done Deal!! before I could retract my offer. I would
    have had to give up my first born to get out of that deal....image Steve, Thanks for the great compliment on my set. I sure wish I could
    have seen yours when you had it. I hear it was a work of art.

Nick
  • RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's enough to go find another set to start on.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.