Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My favorite slab... Post yours

I like PCGS as most of you may already know, but felt like sharing my favorite slab from my slab collection. This is a compugrade slab with a grade of MS63.8! The slab is thick and heavy and seems to be a hard one to crack (I would never do it). It cost all of $32.00. Just wanted to share my favorite old slab. Post yours.

Cameron Kiefer

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 64.3 to me.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Russ, that coin is no better than a 64.225! Get your Morgan grading straight. Geez, the nerve of you Kennedy collectors. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot about them. Nice slab!!!

Brian.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Lucy... and only 12 cents.image
    Larry

• Options
    Mmmm...nothin' like a nice slab of bacon!

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second Masta's choice!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well maybe not my favorite but it's different.

Larry

• Options
    GPGP Posts: 186
    /me <3 slab bacon image

but that compugrade slab is pretty cool too! imageimage
  • Options
    Hey Lucille.. is that the same one that's in this auction?

The Auction..

I mean the same slab..

Harv

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    It sure is, I want to win this baby!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    araara Posts: 130
    PCGS certification numbers:

imageimageimageimage
    aka trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    gold - the barbarous relic!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    This is not my favorite slab but they are a neat piece of slab history. mike image
    1. Options
      Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
      I know it's not politically correct but it's still a part of early slab history. There wasn't a PCGS or NGC around when this Morg was slabbed.
      No I didn't buy it for the coin I bought the holder.
      No I didn't pay the price on the sticker.
      Behold the ACG2 from 1984!!!!

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    2. Options
      GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
      Keifer,

Nice 1921. Looks closer to a 64.8 to me; what's YOUR grade?

Dog97,

You know I love that date; what, .. ahem.. VAM number is it? image

Both of you guys can keep the slab; just send me the coin(s)! image
      Gilbert
    3. Options
      NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
      Here's one of my favorite slabs. I had others that were much better, but I already added them to the landfill.

4. Options
      opps...here's the image of my favorite slab:

5. Options
      NumisEd, I hope thats not the ms66 barber dime I see under the busted slab! mike
    6. Options
      It is, but never fear it's okay. Actually the coin is only a 64, in my opinion, which is one of many reasons why I cracked it out.
    7. Options
      littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
      Why didn't you send it in for a grade review instead?

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
      -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
    8. Options
      fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
      NumisEd,

Thats one way to get your post numbers higher.

LOLimage

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

9. Options
      OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Here's mine. It was a combination of buying the coin AND the holder. Just so happens that the coin (which I needed) came in a very elusive early PCGS slab.

Cheers,

Bob
    10. Options
      PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
      It just couldn't make the grade!

11. Options
      OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12. Options
      Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
      Great PGS is getting into holder varieties now. That's the no insert, foam ring variety right?
    13. Options
      PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great PGS is getting into holder varieties now. That's the no insert, foam ring variety right? >>

image Right ! image

Flexibility in the marketplace - the key to survival!image

We're also thinking of multicolored holders, slabs that serve as pocket calendars, PGS combination cell phones/coin slabs, the PGS utility knife and slab (a super Swiss Army Knife variation), the PGS creditcard holder/certified slab, the PGS anti-attack pepper spray slab, and a slab that also holds family portraits.

imageimageimageBUT PGS WILL NEVER, EVER SLAB DEATH COINS OR CAT REPELLENT SPRAYS!!!.imageimageimage

Conder101 - thank you for the opportunity to blatantly market PGS under the guise of replying to a post-question, we remain honest and sincere in our blatant marketing efforts - the many professionals at PGS. image
    14. Options

<< <i>Hey Lucille.. is that the same one that's in this auction? >>

hrlaser, it is mine!
      imageBe Bop A Lula!!
      "Senorita HepKitty"
    15. Options
      I noticed you won your comic book.. congrats..

So by buying a Comic in a slab, you can never read it.. do you also have a reading copy of it in a lower grade? Or did
      you buy it just to admire the cover and never intend to actually read it??..

While coins in slabs make sense to me, Comic Books in slabs do not

Harv
    16. Options
      Hey Harv, I will probably be shuned for say this, but you hit the nail on the head. Those who buy comic books in slabs do so for the sa ame reason as they buy coins in slabs; they are afraid (or incapable) of rendering their own opinion about the grade of the comic (or coin). To those people, it doesn't really matter what the coin really is, or what is within the pages of the comic book. They are buying someone's opinion because they want to have a hobby, but for some reason cannot judge for themselves what is interesting or not. Sad.
    17. Options
      dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
      what about buying beanee-babies in slabs?

K S
    18. Options
      GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
      PCGS had better watch out!
      Wow! Puskin grading service...
      A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
    19. Options
      dorkkarl, Beanie Baby slabs would be great and maybe that would revive the Beanie Baby crazeimage just kidding
        NumisEd, my brother collects comic books and he says there are many high dollar fakes being made that could fool many people- so maybe they are not bad for the real expensive ones? mike
      1. Options
        LucyBop - Thanks for sharing the comic book slab. I did not know they came slabed so I even learned something.

Harv and NumisEd - Couldn't we just enjoy this thread without starting a flame?
      2. Options

<< <i>LucyBop - Thanks for sharing the comic book slab. I did not know they came slabed so I even learned something.

Harv and NumisEd - Couldn't we just enjoy this thread without starting a flame? >>

Flame? You're over reacting. I'm not flaming anyone. I just asked a simple question. A coin doesn't have pages.
        When it's in a slab you can see both sides.. you just can't see the edge. But who takes a raw coin and holds it up
        for someone else and says "Wow, look at the edge on this coin. Have you ever seen a nicer edge!?" No one.
        So who cares. Very few coins have anything on the edge.. higher denomination Euros do, Saints, do, but
        for the vast majority of coins, thy either have a smooth edge or a Reeded Edge.. it's the faces that
        matter..

A comic book is a whole different animal from a coin. It has an obverse and a reverse (covers) but it has pages.

So my simple question was does she have a lower grade copy to read, or did she buy it just for
        the covers, mainly the front cover.. maybe it has some special meaning.

I've gotten those huge Heritage Comic Signature Sale Auction catalogs that weigh 100 pounds and have zillions of
        color photos of slabbed books in them, and I thought Hmm, it might be cool just to own one slabbed
        comic just for the halibut, but not unless it was one that I already owned in case someday I just
        happened to accidentally on purpose want to see what's inside of it..

So to sum up, I don't think coins in slabs are silly. I think comics in slabs are mostly silly, but I wouldn't
        mind owning ONE just to have one, as long as I also had another copy of the comic I could read.. and that is how
        I thought most big buck comic collectors approached it.. the vintage comics that I own are all bagged and boarded,
        but I can pull them out of the bags and flip through them if I want to..

3. Options
        bust halves & dollars have lettered edges, which i insist on being able to read. all coins have THREE sides, only TWO of which show in the slab. but your right, most slabed coins, nobody cares about side #3 if it's just a reeded edge.

i've never actually seen a slabed comic - is the slab pliable, or rigid? i know that ACG used to certify beenee babies do they still?

does anything else other than baseball cards, coins, currency, beenee babies & comics get slabed??? pez dispensers? stop=watches? beer cans? hair-rollers? underwear belonging to famous people???

K S
      4. Options

<< <i>i've never actually seen a slabed comic - is the slab pliable, or rigid? i know that ACG used to certify beenee babies do they still?

does anything else other than baseball cards, coins, currency, beenee babies & comics get slabed??? pez dispensers? stop=watches? beer cans? hair-rollers? underwear belonging to famous people???

K S >>

A Comic Slab is just like a HUGE coin slab. Rigid.

As far as what else you listed, I have seen lately a company that is slabbing Vintage Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars,
        although I think it's a kitchen table business and no one is taking them seriously at all..
      5. Options
        ttt

K S
      6. Options
        Karl,

Are your bored today?

EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
      7. Options
        PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
        Anyone figure out the password yet?
      8. Options
        STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
        Nope, but it's annoying.

Thanks Cammie image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file