Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your greatest find of 2002! - Prize!

Post your greatest find for the year. This can be anything coin related. I.E. 55 DDO Lincoln in change, etc. (I wish). The prize will be a very nice FS 43-D Jefferson. Members can vote for the greatest find.

Comments

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    My greatest find was an 1882 Snow-2 Broken Date Punch IHC. Although it has been in my collection, I didn't know about the variety thing until I joined this forum and finally recognized it! (A special thanks to Shylock for identifying the variety!)

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Probably my best score would be a monster toned morgan for $28. And next would be a nicely toned peace for $90. Other than that, a 1939D nickel in VF from the bank was a nice surprise. Also forgot an unattributed 1880/79 S (VAM 8) in a NGC holder.
  • Options
    cswcsw Posts: 432
    1. My wife.
    2. My self-esteem
    3. Myself.

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

• Options
    do u mean find like pocket change?
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    1982 NO P DIME IN XF

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    every now and again a collector tries to "seed the intorest of new collectors by putting some coins wirth more than face value into circulation so maybe i should have felt guilty when i discoverd in change from a pop machine a silver war nickle, but later in the year i go t another one in change from the same machine. thats not a coincidence. the person filling the vending machine with change was obiously a collector and even though both war nicles were well worn the large mintmarks could clearly be seen. i don't collect circulated war nickels, but i gave both of them to my wife. i also got a pre 64 washinton quarter in change at a supermarket last year. i don't really beleave any of these coins just happened to stay in circulation. some collectors are trying to spark interest in the hobby.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options

I found this pretty little number, but my vote goes for CSW image
  • Options
    100% unplated 1986 D lincoln in the first week I started coin collecting. It was found in a $25 fed box.
    Brad T. Simms
    MCDBA MCSA MCP
    SQL Server Database Admin

SQLgeek.org
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to say my greatest find was a PCGS slabbed 1965 SMS Kennedy that I picked off from R&I coins for $45. It was graded MS67 no CAM, and I thought they got screwed on the designation. Cracked it out, resubmitted, came back MS67CAM, sold it for $385.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    My greatest find was the sparkle in my grandson's eye's and the intense focus when he examines his recently aquired old silver coins. Now evey Saturday he comes over looking for me to have more for him.
    My greatest find is the feeling that i get when i give him more coins to examine under the glass with those sharp 7 year old eye's.

Thanks to every one who sent him coins to get him started. Along with you we have created a coin Monster. image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    TT Still looking for candidates. We have a tie right now with the toned morgan crew.

UPDATE!!! We have a new leader. VEEP has it.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    A local dealer had labeled a Civil War Token as "Copper-- R3(500-2000 known)." It looked brass to me although it was not listed as having been made in brass. I bought it for $15. After discussing it with Dave Bowers and sending it to the Civil War Token Society, it turned out to indeed be brass. That made it a presumed R-7 (11-20) known. Still worth only about $75, but the real pleasure was in having my studying pay off. Knowledge is power!
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    My two best finds this year were the Registry and these Boards. I have gleaned a lot of numismatic knowledge from people more than happy to share their expertise and have enjoyed the camraderie and competition among we small bunch of Jeff proof guys. Courtesy of the Registry, I also have gained a good friend nearly a continent away. We never have met in person -- yet -- but enjoy helping each other with our collections, generally chatting about coins and discussing other topics as well. It's hard to top a friend as a great find! image
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I posted some of this in an earlier thread. Bought 8 rolls of Buffalo Nickels, average circulation along with a lot of other circulated coinage of a guy who I met from an ad I run in the local Pennysaver. I threw the nickel rolls in a shoe box and finally got around to looking throught them six months later. One of the very first coins I found was a 1937-D Three Legger in Fine, and also what I think is a 1918/17 in AG condition. (I will be taking it with me to the FUN Show and have some of the grading services look at it). Of course, my son (Petescorner) collects Buffalo Nickels, so the three-legger will wind up in his collection, after a brief stopover at NGC. image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    MY greatest find was a 1969-S Washington 25C that graded PR69DCAM from PCGS pop 24/0. I found it in a proof set bought from EBay for a total of $8.00 including shipping. Wayne Herndon now has it.
    imageimage

• Options
    I found that my nephew Sean is into collecting coins. I found out when he stayed at my place and spent all weekend checking out all my coins. When he went home my sister called me back and she told me that all Sean could talk about was how cool my coins were and how he wanted to collect such cool coins. Well since I dont have my own kids and im single this just made me feel sooooo good.

I know its simple and it isnt exactly a coin but it means alot to me. AND by the by I did find 2 cool cents this year. A 1995 double die obverse(1-0-V) and also a 1995D double die obverse (3-0-V) both cool. But they can compear to my nephew taking up coin collecting.

Byron
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Other than the 1857 FE in G I found in a roll from the Yarnell Bank I would have to go with the 6 piece Gold typeset that I jokingly offered melt value for(all I had) and the old gentleman took it. He passed on shortly thereafter as he knew he would . He was very happy to spend some time and all his money on his grandchildren. I don't feel to bad about it.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    here is one of my finds, a DCAM 63 Frankie..... Found this GEM trapped in a proof set.

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Not the most expensive find of the year, but my favorite one.
    PCGS MS65 1888S, I bought this from the PQpeace collection.

Frank
  • Options
    araara Posts: 130
    1) 1995 Jamaica $100 gold proof Bob Marley - NGC PF70
    2) 1991 UK 4 gold coin proof set (1/2 Sovereign, Sovereign, 2 Pound, 5 Pound) - all PCGS PR69DCAM (cert #s: 21067096 - 21067099)

imageimageimageimageimage
    aka trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    gold - the barbarous relic!
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    One of fewer than a dozen known specimens of 1911D WOMM-001 (over mint mark) in VF....AND....a 1909VDB DDO#1 in VF in the SAME DAY. Both cherried from a local show in October, part of the subject of one of my first posts here. I paid less than $10 for the pair of coins, and they carry a value of roughly $100 for the pair.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Another Jewel! The 56 DCAM. Notice some frost breaks in the three wisps of hair and also the hair by the shoulder. I've seen atleast 10 56 DCAM's with this same frost break. It didn't hurt the grade. Bought this one raw for 15 dollars. Dealer told me its a pr65 at best.

The scan kinda of shows it, but this GEM has a killer black and white look to it!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice coins Lucy.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was probably my beautiful PCGS MS 66 1899 apricot toned Liberty Nickel. Truth was kind enough to view it & send me his opinion & I bid on via E-Mail when I was in Brasil.

The only 6 I've seen that IMO was nicer was the one Superior auctioned for $2,400 plus (including buyer's premium) in June. This one was virtually ignored in the bidding and I got it more cheaply than anticipated.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    My best find this year was a lucky find.

I was using my metal detector 1 block from my home in an old city park. Our town was founded in 1852. The park was the location that the old railroad depot used to stand. Abraham Lincoln actually stopped at this place on the way to his innaugeration....

Anyway, I was swinging the detector, and got a nice .25 hit. I dug it, and to my surprise...

1853 seated liberty quarter - with rays and arrows. It is not a looker , but it was FREE and it was a great thrill. I still talk about )that .... (as I just did image

And the best part, I found that sucker at about 10 pm on my birthday, October 1st. Yes, I was using a flashlight! I have a sickness I know. Looking for coins at 10pm on my birthday....

HEHE! That is my best.
    Need a Website? E-commerce? Check us out: myurl
  • Options
    it would have to be an 1846-0 saeted halve in about f-12 for a wopping 25 bucks on ebay.

I couldn't believe no one else bid on it.
    I still laugh everytime I think of it .

rob.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    At a coin show I picked up a 2001 Canadian Proof Set for $30, about half issue price. The set turned out to be a Special ANA Edition, #517 of 750 (?).
  • Options
    I'm with RGL this board is my best find of the year I'm new to the hobby and have learned alot from all of you,I don't post much just keep my mouth shut and learn, and a few laughs to go with it.Wish you all a great new year.image
    NEWBIE, STILL HAVIN FUN !
  • Options
    I found many nice coins this year, but the most exciting find for me was from a 400 roll lot I bought from a local dealer. Among the rolls were 2 1954 S nickel rolls that yielded a group of S over D coins. I remember after finding each one I cheered and said "there's fifty dollars...there's fifty...50...50...50..." for a total of 16 nickels. Sold the group for $750 and nothing could bring me down all that day! That's what I love about coin collecting...the thrill of the hunt!
    My website: WWW.telecoin.bizland.com
  • Options
    Here's the one I enjoyed most. Multiple struck, including once at 180 degrees...quite possibly holed to disguise that. Notice the date at top of the Indian's head.

Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    My best finds would be:

1) 1928-D/D RPM #1 MS63 Lincoln Cent from Bid Board!
    2) 1857 DDO Flying Eagle Cent from Ebay!
    3) 1865 RPD Three Cent Nickel from Bid Board!

Found numerous other not so great cherries!!!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    IndianaByron and LucyBop get my votes.........IndianaByron for finding such joy in his nephews delight in his coins, and Lucy for those GORGEOUS Frankies. Theres a lot to be said for long-haired bald guys that look like that. ? for Lucy, how much did you give for that proof set you got the first Frankie out of?
    imageimage

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

My greatest find for 2002 was this thread because I get a free coin
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    My greatest find this year was the PCGS forum. U all are GGREEAAATTTT!!! Happy New Year!
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    My greatest find of 2002 was returning to coin collecting in January after not buying any coins in over 15 years. (OK, I picked up a few proof sets from the mint, but had no heart in it). Thanks to all who have provided advice and assorted guidance over the past year. Special mention to dpoole, Tonekiller, Anaconda, jtryka and Joy of Collecting.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have had several good finds this yearimage. Here's two of my favorites. One is the raw 1891cc $10 gold that I bought on ebay for $350 and is now in a pcgs ms62 holder- I was the only bidder! The other coin is my Lafayette dollar I got raw at auction for about $230 it's now in an ANACS ms63 holder and I think it will have no problem getting in a 64 holder. mike image
      1. Options
        My best find of 2002 was an ebay purchase in April. It's a Fugio N. 104-FF, 'New Haven restrike' in gold.

It was bought on eBay for $350 - I was the only
        bidder. The provenance of the coin is as follows:

ex: 1996 ANA sale: lot 5236 (@ $3600)

earlier ex: Bowers'/ Norweb sale: lot 3565 (@ $1300)

The coin was purchased by Mrs. Norweb on 9 Jan 1953 from B. Max Mehl.
        Mehl acquired the coin from the University of Pennsylvania where it
        was part of the Brock collection.

The Redbook lists '2 or 3 known'. Breen lists '3 known' - the other
        two listed as 'ex: Yale' and 'ex: James Kelly (1946). I have no
        confirmation on either of these two other listed coins. This coin is
        the only one that has been photographed, having been plated in each of
        the aforementioned auctions.

2. Options
        FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
        My best find was when, on a whim, I decided to buy $10 in cent rolls from the bank in order to search through them... something I hadn't done since I was a kid. I ended up with 13 rolls of wheaties from the 1940's and 1950's. Granted, they're not worth much, but it brought back the nostalgia and excitement I felt when I was a young collector.
        Matt
      3. Options
        itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
        I found an MS70 coin in one of my packages from the US Mint!

I also picked up this very attractive Morgan for just $145. PCGS MS66PL.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
      4. Options
        Topperoo
        imageimage

5. Options
        Abuell is the winner! PM me with your address for your prize. He wins for finding such a rare coin and for digging up the history. A nice find a great recovery for coin collecting history.
      6. Options
        RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
        Clackamas,

As soon as I saw his post I figured he had the be it. Holy crap! WOW! That is a score!!!!!!

Russ, NCNE
      7. Options
        GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
        My greatest find..........

My greatest find wasn't a coin at all, rather it was an old blue Whitman folder for Lincoln Cents. So why is this the greatest find? Well, it is what got me interested and actively collecting coins!! My Dad gave me this Whitman coin folder back in 1979, for my 9th birthday. After "collecting" for about one year, I turned to other things of importance to a 10-year old. Many years had gone by, and I am married now, own a home, and have 2 little ones. However, while finally cleaning out the basement this past year, I found that old blue Whitman coin folder in a box of "Memories" stuff I had saved from my childhood. It stuck in my mind, and I finally went down to get it out of the basement this summer. And ever since then, I have been "bitten" by the coin collecting bug and loving every second of this hobby.

8. Options
        hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
        My two greatest were an 1880-O Morgan raw MS63 I snagged for €30 and an 1851 Large cent raw AU58 RB for €20
        Mark
      9. Options
        airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Hmmm... didn't find much... I did find a cool toned 1987-D dime image It's nice to see a pretty coin from your birthyear image
        JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
      10. Options
        I guess my greatest find would be a United States 20th Century Coin set, wall mount. It has a Soild Bronze Moon Medal also. The value is $62.00 due to the coins conditions. Why I bought it was more important to me than the value. A gentleman was given this by his grandfather and needed money. He heard I collected money and said he would like to sell it to someone who would appricate it. I gave him more than it's value because I understand hard times. The history this set portraits is more valuable to me than it's resale value. Sometimes we forget, or I do, my main reason to collect is because I enjoy it and not how much I will make off a deal. I'll stop talking now.
        DWayne
        SDM
      11. Options
        TheBlackKnightTheBlackKnight Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
        1938-D Jefferson for less than $20 on yahoo auction that turned out to be MS66 FS
        The impossible just takes longer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file