Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry Reaches 5,000!

Today, the 5,000th set was registered in the PCGS Set Registry. Everyone at PCGS wishes to thank each collector participating in the program for it is your enthusiasm and support which has made the registry what it is today. Just 23 months ago, the registry began with only 327 sets and from there it has grown to a place on the Internet where people can proudly display their collections and join a community of collectors, stronger than ever seen before. Now over 1,300 people participate in the program many of whom have found common ground in the PCGS forums. As the new year approaches, it will be our goal to continue to work as hard as we possibly can to make the PCGS Set Registry an enjoyable experience for all. Thank YOU!

BJ Searls
bsearls@collectors.com
Set Registry & Special Projects Director
PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations BJ. Must be neat to see it grow before your eyes. Thanks for having the registry, and looking forward to the reception at FUN.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Next stop, 6000. Congrats, BJ!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    Hey BJ:

Maybe another contest for the 6,000 set? 6 free gradings? It would be fun, to watch, especially if some rules were set up to keep phantom sets from appearing.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BJ, you'd better be grateful. It's been EXPENSIVE helping you out like this! image
  • Options
    $$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    COOL - Does that mean that all of us who contributed get 4 free gradings? image
  • Options
    Great work BJ I can't wait to register my next set so I can help make it to 6,000.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll start a second set... if I ever finish the first one. Fourty coins down... only one hundred to go. ...too bad I knocked out all the cheap ones early! lol

David
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of those 5,000 sets feature pictures? Too bad some bonus weight can't be given to incentivize opening the set and showing off the coins. What a nice way to spend the afternoon - looking at some great coin picts!
  • Options

TDN, that was the point of one of my earlier posts. I have added pictures to my Peace $ and Ike $ MS Set (Under Jim J's set). Adding pics can be quite a bit of work, especially for larger sets, but I don't know if a Registry set can really be considered complete without them! If pictures can't count as extra points toward the Set Registry, maybe some bonus submissions would be nice!

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with TDN and JJacks. I also don't agree with most of the arguments for why people keep sets hidden. I have added pictures (some good, and some maybe not quite so good) to most of my sets---I think I have about 40 more coins to photograph to make it complete. I wish more people would share their coins this way. Though I do agree that it takes a fair amount of time---and if I were really going to do it right, I would retake about half my not-so-good pictures.

Thanks BJ for a great program.

And Happy New Year to all!!

Pete
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    BJ
    Kudos to you and PCGS for makeing the Registry what it is.The hard work you have done,and the complaints from us gives you the award.I'm sure it is like a child to you that just grows and keeps getting better.LOL It also gives you grief.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    5,000 sets registered!! But how many are 100% complete and how many are 2% complete. Because one coin is registered to one particular series, does that mean it should count as a "set"? I dont think so. Many of these two-percenters have no intention of completing their "sets". They just picked up a coin they can register and so they add it. How many type collectors do this?

I think the number is over-inflated. Just more hype IMHO!!

WWQ
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Congratulations BJ.

I was wondering how many participants there were and using your 1300 number there are approx 3.8 sets per person.

(Actually there are than 5000 because my 20th century type set disappeared somehowimage)
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    was wondering how many participants there were and using your 1300 number there are approx 3.8 sets per person.
    5ooo sets is a respectable number but I was wondering how many of those sets were a result from the variety of sets that were added to each series. Have sets been deleted for inactivity yet? And lastly, how many of those sets consist of only 5 to 10% of coins of a complete set. There are many sets that only have one or two coins in the set. Are they counted?
    Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Leo,

There's nothing like saying the same thing as someone else. Look down 2 posts.

WWQ
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>COOL - Does that mean that all of us who contributed get 4 free gradings? image >>

I'm not greedy. I'll accept two free gradings. image

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.