Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Looking for another set to collect

I'm looking for another set to start while upgrading my existing one. Iwas considering Morgan Dollars... That seems like it will take more patience than I have. Any suggestions?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    Do a Copper, Nickel and Silver Type set It is alot of fun and you can get alot of different types of coins without having to buy the more expensive gold coins.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Thats a good idea, I've been buying gold & platinum....and.....going broke. I have some older - non graded coins that are in only good (Maybe worse) condition. I'm new at this, but enjoy the collecting aspects. I have some large cents that you can barely read the date on and some seated dimes that are also pretty tough.

Dan
  • Options
    Dan:

Whatis your current set?
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Consider a Two Cent set in MS63RB.

Excluding varieties, 9 coins and you're done.
    Dan
  • Options
    My current set is $2 1/2 gold Indians - Circulation Strikes - Still need 1911 D... I have one coming and hope it will grade properly... Should be here on Fri.
  • Options
    I just looked at your 2c set...It is gorgeous! That might be about as bad as the gold!
  • Options
    Dan:

How about 20th Century type: cs, proof, or combined, your call. You certainly have a lot of knowledge of the era with your Indian gold collection.

Greg
  • Options
    I won't say I have a lot of Knowledge... but I appreciate the compliment. I did get burned a few times before I started buying Graded coins (PCGS) on E-bay...I found out early on that all grading services are not equal..and that some people grading and selling raw coins streeeeeeetch the grade more than slightly.

Dan
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Look into Jefferson Nickels, or maybe Kennedy half dollars. A lot of high grade Kennedys are dirt cheap. mdwoods

P.S. How is Dewey?imageimage
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Deweys great and I'm still Learning HOW!

Dan
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Deweys great and I'm still Learning HOW!

image Great sense of humor Dan. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Dan,
    What a great question to ask people who live and love their coins! I would suggest Walking Liberty Halves. The artistry of the coin is truly near the top of the line. The quality available is in cycles as is every coin, but the strike with a top of the line coin, is something to make you hold your breath.
    If you have time, look at my sets, late date, Dick and Jans Walkers, and the short set, Richard D. Graham collection.
    Typetone has a very good set that I have had the pleasure to see, and he has a few pictures up now on his set. Toningintheblood also has pictures up and the set which I have seen, is a wonder to behold. The William White set which I have also seen, and is in the building stage, is a blast white MS66++ set that is superior in its grade. Two others I haven't seen, but have enough exchange with the owners that I would recommend them are the ImpalaSteve's set and the AmyHalladay set.
    I hope your search is exciting and if you would like to ask me any questions please PM me or email me at RDG1393@aol.com.
    Happy Hunting,
    Dick Graham
  • Options
    Dick:

Have you found out anything about the Denali Walker set? I see it is continually climbing up the ranks of the complete Walker set. Quality seems incredible. Is there a fellow Walker collector in Alaska? If you don't know about this set, who does? None of the dealers I buy though know anything, or at least that's what they claim.

Greg
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply!

I am just a collector..and not a dealer. I have to buy graded coins because I can't grade very well. I may take your suggestion about the walking Liberty Halves though because I, like you, think they are beautiful in MS condition.

Which coins are considered the key coins in the set?

Dan
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Go away! Stay away from my coins! Why would anyone consider a still-affordable set with big-upside potential in terms of bucks and filled with pretty and scarce coins? Nothing to it, do not even think about it -- not even a challenge. image
  • Options
    Are you talking about walking liberties or those great nickel sets?
  • Options
    How about a Silver Washington quarter set? Although the set has risen in popularity and several keys would set you back a bit, it is a very challenging set to put together and a lot of fun as well. AND this set has yet to peak!!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    Greg- The Denali set will truly be a master set one of these days if it continues as it is being developed. I think it has more strength than the Cajun set, but Cajun is complete and Delani isn't even half strenth. Who knows? Possibly BJ can entice the sets to a show so that a great set can actually be viewed. BTW, I thougth Denali was yours until I looked at the minor differences in some of the later dates and in that yours is 4th finest already, I decided it might not be.
    Dick
  • Options
    Dick:

Denali sure isn't mine, though I wish it was. I doubt any collectors up here in Alaska have the muscle to put that set together. It must be worth at least $250K and it doesn't even have most of the early dates yet. If Denali decides to register a late date or short set, it might even give you and Jan a run for your money!!image

Greg

Dan:

If you decide to do Walkers you might start with the short set (41 - 47), or the late set (33 - 47). Working on the complete set can cost a fortune. In the short set the keys in order are the 41S, 42S, and 44S. The keys to the late set are the 35D, 33S, 34S, 35S, 34D, and then the 40s S mints. The trick in the S mint pieces is to find nice strikes. If you decide to go this way, let Walker Guy and me know as we can probably start you with a few dups.

Greg
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    for me a great set to collect that is really undervalued and doable and is fun and historical with the coins not only available but for reasonable prices

i guess you got it all even if you were not thinking of it this way............lol

proof three cent nickels 65 66 67 pcgs/ngc

proof seated quarters 1860 to 1891 proof 64 65 some dates 66 67 ngc/pcgs

proof lib nicks 65 66 67 ngc/pcgs

barber dimes quarters halves proof 64 65 some dates 66 67

proof searted dimes 1860 to 91....... 64 65 some dates 66 67

proof indian cents red brown 65 66 some dates 67 ngc/pcgs

i guess the list could go on and on

sincerely michael

• Options
    Michael:

I like all of your recommendations, although I haven't really analyzed proof IHCs. Even better than proof Lib 5c and proof 3c Nickels are the mint state versions. Take a look at price to pops and I think you will see what I mean. Though the difference is not that great, and cameo proof nickels are wonderful.

Greg
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

<-------

Proof 2c pieces, for some of the reasons DAM mentioned the MS ones. A nice short-n'-simple set, yet the individual coins are challenging. There are four sets registered. I am #4 with a single coin registered, LOL. Most folks will tell you that the business strikes are a better investment than the proofs. I don't know. Maybe. But I can't resist the flash of an early proof coin, particularly if it has some cameo contrast.

I also enjoyed the 8-piece 20th Century Gold Major Design type set. Another short-but-sweet set that was fun to assemble. Being a type set, it also offered some diversity. I generally prefer type sets to date sets.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.