Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BTW what has happened to dog97?

Maybe he's in the pound....if its been 7 days image ..... I don't even want to think about that.

Well he's not too far his last e-bay purchased ended 11/27/02

Comments

• Options
    Was wondering that myself - maybe he's doing something fun! Let's hope.
  • Options
    GPGP Posts: 186
    maybe he found a lady in "season" image
  • Options
    Maybe he got tired of the new crowd that basically took over the board the past couple months or so, and seem to clutter it for the most part with junk. You guys and ladies know the ones right? They are the ones who can tell you if you have a PR68 or PR69 coin from a scan or light enhanced digital image, or whether or not your Morgan is real or AT even though they have absolutely no or limited exposure on how to truly make an educated guess on AT or original toning, or the ones here who post to hype and legitimize their sales. I have been here since the old boards and have really noticed a dropoff in quality and total attitude here in the past few months. For the numerous great people that have since came here and really contributed, it seems like there are a larger number of trolls, persons with motives behind posting what they do, and just plain bad people coming here. I know that is my reasoning for posting here less and less, I have had over 1000 posts for 8 months or so now, and just keeping seeing less interesting things to post on. Not that there are only interesting posts in which I post, but for the series or any other numismatic thing that I don't have a clue about, I tend to read about, rather than post as I am knowledgeable in it. Maybe that has something to do with dog not posting as much, I don't really have a clue. I know most of the older members here seem to feel that way, at least the ones who I have brought the topic up too in the past. But, hey maybe it's just me right?

Sorry to go off on a rant and take away from the thread.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy,

Many of my friends have expressed to me the very reasons you just cited. They are busy and stressed from their everyday lives, and don't have the time nor the patience to wade through what they say is a mountain of posts that are more about everything else other than true numismatics.

There are those why say that they should post what and how they choose. If you don't like it, then you're welcome to skip past their post. That's a very counter-productive argument, because it is that sort of sentiment that helps to drive away would-be productive contributors who are very busy.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    well said Andy and EVP. Sure you can skip there posts, but when all the non topic stuff pushes the good sstuff off the page, it becomes very hard to find the good stuff. Only reason I have had time lately, is well cause I have a lot of freetime for the next couple weeks.
  • Options
    Dog last visited this"troll forum" thursday night.

DAN

PS trolls suckimage
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why do the Old Timers not tell the Newer people what is productive and not productive. Really would like a answer to this question so no Toes will be stepped on in the future. BTW. What constitutes a Newbie versus a Old Timer ? Man I am confused after a year and a half here.

Hell I was really confused after being one of the first people over at the NGC Forumns. Then all of the Newbies came in and took the place over. image

Ken
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I still say there should be seperate forumns for modern and classic coins to ease the congestion here. Mike
  • Options
    I`ve been wondering that myself. Hopfully he`ll be back.
  • Options
    I don't buy the "he got tired of the crap on this board" idea. Dog got in his share of junk yard scuffles and I think he had some fun.
  • Options

<< <i>So why do the Old Timers not tell the Newer people what is productive and not productive. Really would like a answer to this question so no Toes will be stepped on in the future. >>

Me too, especially since apparently the place started falling apart about the time I started posting. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog's exited out of here once before because of what he saw as the deterorating quality of the Boards. He did so, though, with an annoucement (then eventually responded to intense pleading from people that he come back). His comments have been much fewer since then, but I still figure he'd have said something if he were gone for good.

If the truth be known, the Boards' quality has waxed and waned regularly (I've been around since the old Boards). There's no such thing as the "good old days." If you ask me, we have many enthusiastic, knowledgeable and interested "newbies" on now that are picking up any slack and are carrying on just fine. This is still a great place, where you can get questions answered and get help with ease.

My advice is always the same: if you don't like what's going on, don't participate, and wait it out. People get tired quickly of discord, things simmer down, and we get back to business.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that this thread has become OT from AJ's originating post, but I feel I should say that the vast majority of the folks in this forum are fine people. I don't believe that you can assign blame for the ill-received posts on here to only a few people.

This forum lives and dies, and evolves, by the actions of the majority. If, say, troll1 does his thing, what's to prevent us from simply ignoring him? We are responsible for our responses -- or lack thereof.

If regular user1 and user2 get into a serious disagreement, then what's to prevent them from behaving like adults and always striving to remain civil? And, failing that, then desist from responding.

For whatever reason this forum's quality has degenerated, it is us -- all of us -- who are responsible.

Carol has told us time and again that we should forward inappropriate posts to her. Instead, we just flame each other.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Thank you, dpoole. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You said it so well, that it makes anything I have to say unnecessary. You have more longevity here too, so that gives your words more weight, in my opinion.
    I am going to print out your post and re-read it every now and then. Because I think you were dead on.
    Thanks.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I believe that the big doggie will be back soon. He is too smart, too tough and too nice

to keep away for long. He probably took some vacation time. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the Boards' quality has waxed and waned regularly >>

Which makes this BBS exactly like every other on the web.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ahh yes, last time he left we bid some "dog coin" up to like a jillion dollars image and Dog had the funniest bid retractions EVAR! image
  • Options
    I forgot all about that zillon dollar overgraded, accurately priced Anaconda Lib. 5c. Did he buy it? He's probably roaming the neighbor alleys looking to pick up some stud service spare change.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Which makes this BBS exactly like every other on the web.

Russ, NCNE

Yet, whenever a new member arrives, we profess it to be the best, and so on and so on. Personally, I prefer NOT being exactly like every other, and I would hope you would feel the same.

As for dog97, I've expected him to pop in at anytime, but now that you all mention it, he has been incommunicado a bit long. Hope he is just taking a breather.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Something is up with Dog alright.
    Look what he's Bidding On !!!!
    I think he slipped out of his leashimage
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I think he's after kincoin, king of coinsimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I prefer NOT being exactly like every other, and I would hope you would feel the same. >>

Gilbert,

It is the same only in the fact that the quality of the material and the posts fluctuates just like at any other. Every forum, every BBS has it's ups and downs. Every forum and BBS also has it's people that seem to think the problem is unique.

On it's worst day, this forum is MaryPoppinsville compared to some others on their best day.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Oh gee lee thanks for posting that kingcoin auction. I guess that blows my reputation now huh? image

Why haven't I been posting? Well, I'm doing the single parent gig now which is REALLY tough.

The gem Modern 1997 that put the 97 in Dog:

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    That single parent thing can be a tough one. The return is worth the investment (from personal experience) Just helped my young'un move on to bigger an better things. If I remember correctly closer to your area than mine. He is now gainfully employed in Gulf Coast Florida.

Always look forward to your commentary and when I have time I also check out your auctions.

Best to you and your inspiration.

Jr
  • Options
    Dog:

An honorable task that we're all proud of you for. Just remember.... she's cute - if you think you're busy now - wait till she's 16! image

Frank
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>she's cute - if you think you're busy now - wait till she's 16! >>

Or even my age!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    awwww now thats an MS70!!! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Or even my age! >>

Uh..... 29, right? image
    NMFB ™

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Uh..... 29, right? >>

I wish!!! I am much older, I was just dipped to remove years of native oxide growth.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    I was just dipped

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog,
    Shes gorgious.AL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file