Home U.S. Coin Forum

Test your coin knowledge

Today's MSN home page has a story about "testing your coin knowledge" with a link to articles on coin collecting if anyone is interested.

Comments

• For anyone having trouble finding it... it's under What's Your Money IQ?
    NMFB ™

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Just enough currency questions in there to keep it from being a breeze!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• The really sad part is.... I got all the currency questions right image
    NMFB ™

• coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    8 of 9 here. I didn't know how long a ten spot lasts.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto, Coppercoins.

I miss the 10 spot.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• They only last two years around here... imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • 8 out of 9 but I think #1 is a trick question. They ask which coin is most widely USED. They produce more cents but I would think the quarters are used more. Most cents are used only once or twice before they end up rotting in a can somewhere.
  • 9 out of 9, thanks for the link
  • 8 out of 9. Missed the how long currency circulated question.image

Cameron Kiefer
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the survival of the $10 bill. I guess I missed it because I've heard the 18 months stated for the $1 bill and guessed 2 years for the $10.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, let's see how I do...

Argh, got 8/9. I need to go to Remedial Coin Shop 1A after work! image Didn't know how long a $10 stayed in circulation. I knew that $1 stayed around 14-18 months. Also, isn't the fugio the first coin minted under the Constitution (was minted in NY, right?)? I think it is. So their answer of 1793 may not be correct. But since I have to go to class again, I suppose I'm wrong here, too.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many of the questions are wrong I didn't even try it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • 8 for 9

darn pennies, cents, coppers or whatevers

we need a new 2 cnt coin

Jr
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

7 out of 9image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Now I am image to say my score.6 of 9.I thought #1 was a trick question.My answer was quarter.imageimageimage
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    lol.This is funny.I too missed only the `how long does a $10 bill last` question.
    Alot of us missed only that one question.Interesting.BTW I said`One Year` on that question.
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I said one year on the $10 bill question too...I guess we have to remember that the $1 and $20 are the workhorses, the $5 and $10 are used mainly to give change. Think about it...unless you specify otherwise, when you draw $100 from a teller they give you $20 bills...when you take $40 from an ATM, two $20s are spit out....but the idea that any note generally spends three years moving around does seem a bit odd.

Question #1 is wrong. More cents are produced and more are distributed to banks, but the quarter is by far more used...again, think about change and vending machines...machines don't accept cents, they only accept the larger stuff...when you ask for change for a dollar, they would usually give four quarters, not 100 cents. Again, the cent is used only to give change, and as stated before, they are rarely reused.

So let's challenge them! Let's make them give sources for their answers!
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • 7 out of 9 and I the two I missed were both coins ... off to the currency boards ...
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • I missed the first one - I agree that quarters are more widely used than pennies. But oh well. Got all the other ones right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file