Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

An added joy of the registry sets

I just got a scanner a few days ago and tried scanning a few coins for my set. It was easy and painless and I have begun to add pictures to my Type set. It has been time consuming, but alot of fun and has given me time to evaluate my collection and spend time with my coins.image It really is an added joy when you can scan pictures to include with your set. Anyone else have as much fun as me? I am only halfway done, but any suggestions or ideas? I scanned the obverse only with the slab and I think it looks good. How do you do it different?

Cameron Kiefer

Comments

• Options
    Nice set Cameron! I like the holder for the 1862 Half dime. I haven't seen that one before and think it is nice. You even have a Cameo seated dime. I didn't realize you made it to #5 in the copper, nickel and silver set type set. Great work!

I find I am fussing too much with my digital camera. The trusty old scanner was easier. I think you did a great job with the images. My only suggestion is I would rather see more of the coin and less of the holder (except, perhaps, for the 1862 half dime). You do have a bunch of neat coins.

After looking through them I was reminded that I like nickels. Really I like everything, but nickels are cool. I might start a set of lusterous MS 64-66 Buffalo nickels...
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron:

Nice pictures--what type of scanner did you use? I have a couple of HP scanners and I can't anything as nice as what your pictures. Do you have any hints?

Re Carl's suggestion: I'd tend to go along, that is, show a bit more coin and a bit less holder. But by all means keep the PCGS certification number visible so that as soon as you sell a coin, I can add that coin to my registry set! image ! More seriously, can you add scans of the reverses? I like the reverse designs of some coins more than I like the obverse.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    Thanks Carl and Mark. I can't remember the type of scanner off hand, because I am not at home right now. Will post the brand tonight.

All I do is lay the slab down flat on the glass, make the quality button go to high and scan after adjusting where I want to scan. I saved it to a disk and uploaded it to my set. Other than that, I am just learning. I will try doing more of the coin and less of the slab.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Yes, scanning does offer an opportunity to spend time with the coins. I agree need to see more of the coin and less of the holder.

I have a scanner and want to get a digital camera because the scanner just does not capture the luster or colors properly. It does capture nice frosty devices(like PL Morgans) very well though.

• Options
    It is a umax (www.umax.com) AstraNET iA101 model.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I tried to scan my coins but it just didn't capture the cameo contrast as well as my digital camera. However, taking photos of my coins has been a lot of fun and I believe it has given me a whole new appreciation for them.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron,

I spent awhile looking through your set's photos. Neat collection!

You can open your pictures in you photo software (you probably have something on your computer somewhere, like Photoshop or Microsoft Photo Editor). Set your crop setting to "oval" or some similar designation, and crop around the coin itself. Do the same for a shot of the coin's revseres.

Right click on your obverse shot and click "Copy"). Then click for a "new" photo in the main task bar. On the new blank photo, right-click again, and hit "Paste."

Do the same for the obverse shot. It'll paste on top of the obv shot when you copy it on the new photo. Drag it over to the right of the obv shot, and line it up. Set your crop for "rectangle," and then crop the shot of the obv and rev side by side. Name it and save it.

You can load up up to your Registry set like that.

You can arrangements like this one: