Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Price of Everything--The Value of Nothing

You all know the old cliche about a fool knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing... well, here is something that the value right now far exceeds the price to me.

I purchased a 1952 Washington Carver set this morning. I won't be shy, the total price was $166.00 including shipping. All coins were graded NGC65.
That amounts to $55.33 a coin. Roughly the ticket price if I wanted to go to a basketball game and sit in ordinary seats.
The 52-D Carver is a tough coin to find nice. This one looks nice, with some peripheral toning I like. The mintage was 8006. The slabbed pop is 122 NGC, and 281 PCGS... some of those have to be phantom coins. The 52-S also had a mintage of 8006, it's slabbed numbers are higher, but not much. The 52-P is the most common coin of the series.
My point is this: to be able to get gem quality examples, of classic commems at these prices is a good deal. No, not a good deal--a great deal.
I think people sit around and day-dream about the "old" days of numismatics when this was cheap, or that was cheap... IMO, there are coins out there right now, which are jaw-droppingly inexpensive compared to their real value. You can get into discussions about size of collector base and so forth... but the coins are out there. I believe that. (...Hmmmmm, maybe I'm out there.)

Carl
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That series and the BTW never got much respect because a couple issues had over 1 million released. But you make a great point, these date/mm have pretty low mintages.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    You just don't get it-- none of the coins you just bought is a pop 1 coin. If it were a pop 1 coin in MS-66+ with a mintage of 3 billion and that goes for face value in MS-65, then it would be worth all the money. However, if you have an MS-65 coin with an original mintage of less than 10,000, it's worth diddley. Doesn't that make perfect sense?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Shiro--
    As you have just layed it out. I now see perfectly. Thank you, I am marking this day on my calender. The Day I Learned The Truth. image

Clank
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think that classic commems are way under-valued. What other series carry mintages this low and prices (for the most part) to match? One of these days the naysayers are all going to eat their words. image

Just my two-cents (U.S.)

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I think that classic commems are way under-valued. What other series carry mintages this low and prices (for the most part) to match? One of these days the naysayers are all going to eat their words. image Just my two-cents (U.S.) Cheers, Bob >>

And they are a cool series to collect because of the variations. Really fun.
  • Options
    One further note (much coffee this morning)... I read comments on the forum that the starting point for a coin to be worth slabbing is $100. I think that is wrong. It fosters the idea that coins under a certain dollar amount are garbage. I do not agree with that.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I think the idea is that if the coin is worth less than $100 and you slab it, there's no way to recoup the slabbing cost when you go to sell it.

Why do people torture only expensive coins with plastic tombs? Isn't that discriminatory?

I think the commems are undervalued, also. While I'd like to get a nice, complete set of the Oregon Trail halves, I think they're not quite as undervalued as most others.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    for me oregons are just as undervalued as most other commems and they are really popular with their design

BUT it has to be the right looking coin in other words it has to be extraordinarly nice toned to monster toned nice then it is super undervalued combined with extreme popularity then it is a value

now run of the mill regular white grey white average lookiing coins in 65 66 67 well that is another story and then they are not undervalued in my opinion

and with the example clankeye gave it just goes to show you there are many great undervalued coins out there in all price ranges !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 which in up and coming years will be the next darlings of the coin market along with many others that are now popular and still to be popular!

sincerely michael

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    not a big-time commem person, BUT, i love the oregon-trail, isabella, san-diego, & texas. of course, i REALLY like the pan-pac slugs, but a bit out of my price range...

K S
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    The problem with Commem's is that everyone has been saying they are "undervalued" for as long as I have been collecting. Seemingly forever image Almost all the issues are plentiful in mint state grades, so as Michael pointed out, unless the coin has some unusual toning (monster?) the prices will remain fairly stagnant.
    Dealers don't pay strong money for the white coins, so the sheets never really move on the "average" coins.
    The superbly toned coins are untouchable and a little research will back that fact up. Other than those coins, the prices for Commem's are flat, and will forever be that way, as the demand stays relatively constant also.
    To think, I LIKE Commem's too!!
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clank and Michael... I agree. BigD I disagree. As an example...a roll of Wisc. commems white...I sold at $550 each MS 65 years ago. Life/ coins are cyclical. K
  • Options
    BigD5--
    When I talk about value, I'm not just refering to the market prices of commems. I don't care what appreciation they might hold. I'm talking about value to me, as a piece of history, of art... of owning a piece of American history. That I can get something like these Carvers for peanuts... that's very cool to me. I don't care if they never appreciate from what I buy them at. It's not the point to me.
    Carl
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey clank

what do you think of boone's? talk about a low mintage commem!! over half of the issues were limited to 5,000 or less coins and it includes the lowest mintage 20th century silver issue. no doubt there are probably some of the dates with less than 1,000 coins existing in all grades and priced at around $500 slabbed MS65. michael points to the nicely toned or monster toned coins and with boones those are sure to be a tough find. i resist terms like under/over valued, but boone commems would seem like a steal!!

all this for a coin with a good design and celebrating perhaps one of the greatest frontiersman and adventurers of all time.

al h.image
  • Options
    I never really gave much though about classic commems until I joined these forums. Then someone posted some nice Texas commems. I must say that is one of the most beautiful designs in US coinage. I will keep my eye open for a nice example; I must have one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file