Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where can I get a Holder like This?.....

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a holder like the one pictured in this auction?

58 Mint Set

I would like two buy a couple of them, if I can find them. It doesn't matter if it says "Proof Set" to me. Just has to have the slots for 20 coins.

Nice looking Mint set.

Thanks,
Clankeye
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Good question I can only find them for 15 coins then it jumps to 35 coins.

What is this picture in the auction for?

Here is a link to the ones I found.

Link
  • Options
    Placid---
    Those are the paper holders(and I presume the original cards are with them) that the mint set cards came in. The 58 mint sets come with two cards of ten coins each. They are including that to indicate it is an original set.

Doesn't really prove anything though. It's not too hard to acquire original packaging from 50's mint sets. The coins in that auction could still be a put together set. Whether it matters or not is the question. Sure looks like a beautiful bunch of coins. I purchased an original 58 set a month ago for $125.00... so you can see the toning premium is in full effect here.

Thanks for providing that link.
    Carl
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Ok if you go to the capital plastics site they also make custom holders if you want a special one.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capital holders are excellent for displaying partial sets or an entire collection of a series on a wall. The draw back to them is when someone wants to get a closer look at one coin with a loupe. Once, I balanced a capital plastic holder that contained 70+ Jefferson nickels with one hand in trying to get some light on a particular coin while I was steadying my loupe with the other hand. I probably could have had better luck while riding a unicycle. Right there and then I ruled out ever owning one of those things, in that size anyway. Good luck with your venture.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Even though the coins in this auction look natural, I'd be very wary of it. I think this is the same seller that frequently has those monster rainbow toned SAE's that are obviously AT.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    You know, you can actually do a nice air transfered real toning on a SAE. Just takes a few years. image
  • Options
    Just for the record, Russ. I think your adivice is good. I never had any intention of bidding on those coins at that price. They are nice to look at, but I'll pass.

I do however, want a holder like that for a mint set I have.

Carl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file