Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Got my Pedigreed FE's back today. I'm not elated.

Check out the terrible pics and look at the labeling closely. I'm not exactly pleased with them. I don't care for the inconsistency of the labeling. The '56 and '57 are labeled as a Flying E., while the 58/7 is not. I would have preferred that left off altogether and think that the Small and Large letters could have been abbreviated as LL and SL, leaving my name more as the focal point for my boy. Or maybe they could have just added Flying E to the 8/7. I just think that Flying E adds too much clutter.
Oh well. Maybe I'm too picky.

1858LL
1858SL
1858/7

Comments

• Options
    I think it looks okay.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    GOOSE,
    i dont think your being too picky at all,and if this is not how you anticipated the holders to look,then something needs to be done.we as collectors do what we do for reasons and if the focal point is that these coins are to be left for your boy,then they need to be corrected in the manner you want them to be viewed(for your boy)...you are paying for a service...........make sure you get that service! and that your happy with your hard earned money that you have spent to achieve your purpose.
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    That's why you're the good guy!image

I'd better watch my tongue, I'll end up labeled the bad guy!!

TB
    the pedigree was free. All I was responsible for was 17.50 s/h.
  • Options
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"
  • Options
    Just curious why any of them say Flying E? When did series name get added to labels? None of mine say Jefferson,Kennedy, Walker, Ike, Lincoln, etc. The 1858/7 looks the best to me. It only cost you $17.50 for S/H/I but still that's $17.50 you wouldn't have spent to get something you didn't want.
    ahhhh....... SODO MELVIN?????
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious why any of them say Flying E? >>

I'm wondering about that also. Is there a Sitting E Cent? A Standing E Cent? What's the deal?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the 1938-D Jefferson nickel does say Jefferson on it (to separate from the Buffalo of the same date/mint)
    Senior Numismatist
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Bob, and am sorry, Goose, that you feel slighted. I understand. I think the one's I have received recently, since pcgs decided to place the bar code on the front, do not look appealing.
    Put the dang bar code back on the back. It's a useful, but redundant inv. tracking tool, unnecessary on the front label. Leave room to:
    Center the coin's ID at the top and center the variety info directly underneath.
    Center the pedigree and give it its own line (and font?, bold?).
    (The pedigree is the reason for this exercise!)
    This should be simple.
    (This seems to me to be the way it used to be.)
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1856 and 1857 get labeled Flying Eagle because there are also Large cents made that year. I know how you could overlook that, I always assume a Flying Eagle when someone offers me an 1856.

Used to be PCGS would not label Large letters and Small Letters.

I wish they would put 1858/7 SNOW-1, so as not to confuse it with SNOW-7.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Registry Coin PUT THE BAR CODE BACK ON BACK. This would leave room for more pertant(sp) information on front.

I think the pedigree name should be on a line by itself, if at all possible.

I can see why John was not happy!

Jon
  • Options
    Hey, at least they spelled your name consistently across the slabs. I've seen in the past where they screwed that up.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Doesn't someone (BJ) read this board regularly?

I hate to complain about this but I would think there has to be a better way of doing these so that they are all uniform. (which was what I was after).

I'd be happy to drop them off at PCGS in Baltimore first thing that Saturday Morning if someone can remedy this.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    You went over the 22 "type spaces" letters.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Spooly, I didn't think they would actually put Flying Eagle on the holder! I also THOUGHT they would abbreviate LL and SL.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    The "Flying E" should not be on the same line as the pedigree. It sure is confusing in this situation. My Grant with Star is the same. It looks like I pedigreed it "Star Heller". Its goofy.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Rick Snow is right: They had to put Flying E. to separate it from Large Cents. Any time there might be confusion, they put what kind of coin. A 1909 without VDB will say either Lincoln or Indian, etc.

Move the barcode back to the reverse side.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Goose, I think I figured out your 58s. The way the lettering reads on that one line it makes it look like one coin is yours and the other is your sons. The first coin belongs to Large John G. and the other belongs to Small John G. image
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I agree that the bar code should be on the back.

Goose,

If I have anything pedigreed, I think I'll ask what it's going to look like before I send it in, after seeing this. I see why your upset. Although I don't think it looks that bad.

BUT IT WOULD HAVE LOOKED BETTER IF THE BAR CODE WAS ON THE BACK. image
    Dan
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS labels the 1921 "Peace" dollars; the 1938 "Jefferson" nickels; 1916 "Mercury" dimes, and others this way.
    If a year shares two design types- there you go.

I've never seen anyone confuse a Large Cent with a Flying Eagle cent though.
    I'm with you Goose3- I don't like the labels. Too cluttered and a bit confusing as to the Pedigree.

PCGS also abreviates a couple of early Commemoratives that are inane.
    Oh well- at least you got the coins back (reference Coinguy1's thread on the CF...).

peacockcoins

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the Pinnacle post on the US coin forum - at least you got them back!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Saw that! YIKES
  • Options
    I would be disappointed also. They could have put the abbreviated LL & SL right beside the date and left off the Flying E.

Not like someone would not know what type cent it is.image

Hope it can be corrected.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    goose3
    I have to agree with the majority.They could have left off the FE.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    John -- bring them to Baltimore and talk to them about it. Reholdering is $10 at the show, and maybe they'll work something out with you. I think BJ mentioned at Long Beach she'll now be attending all the major shows.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn nice coins John.

Great Set.

Make them do it again.

Tbig