Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The All Time Finest Barber Half Dollar Collection is Complete

I just noticed that the All time finest collection of Barber Half Dollars is complete with an amazing GPA of 66.27

As a collector and fan of Barber coinage I say Congratulations as your set as well as the accomplishment is something of which to be proud.

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Yes, a very nice set. Now all he/she needs is to supply great pictures of each coin.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a set. His 1905 O is a MS68, I can't imagine. It must be an awesome coin. I hope he/she does put some pictures up. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    A mighty feat to complete, but I also believe a registry set is not complete without pictures.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Prooflike

I have a complete set of Barber dimes and the wonderful part of collecting Barber coinage 1892-1916 is the collectors of this period such as John Clapp,whose collection was sold to Louis Eliasberg,Emery Nichols,Norweb and Walter Childs all obtained their Barber coinage directly from the mint.Most were kept in Wayte Raymond boards and obtained the most beautiful toning and kept the luster shining through the toning.Most of the high powered Barber sets have these coins in their collections.Most of the collectors of these sets lust for originally toned coins and shy away from dipped coins.

Stewart
  • Options
    zepzep Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Dr. D certainly has an incredible set but isn't it a bit of a misrepresentation to call it the all-time finest when there are higher graded coins in NGC holders?
  • Options
    zEP

Could you be a little more specific as to which dates are graded higher in NGC holders?I was at the Eliasberg sale and bought the 1896 o which graded ms 67 and sold it in the NGC holder.Each and every coin in theDr. S.D. collection is not the finest known but each and every coin in the collection is listed by grade and where he obtained them. Another thing to remember is all the Philadelphia mint coins are present in this collection as opposed to Eliasberg,Norweb and Childs who chose to have proofs.I don't think many people realize how GREAT this set is and the accomplishment.

Stewart
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Stewart about the difficulty of completing this set and recognize the great feat accomplished by this man. Dr. D. has done it over a long period of time and the coins are all originally toned and each one is a piece of beautiful artwork that somehow survived the fate of all but one to a handful of coins out of the millions struck. Having built a set over the last 9-10 years gives me the perspective of how tough it is to find these coins in uncirculated condition. It's even harder to find the high-grade coins that have nice toning or lack slide marks or other problems.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    great accomplishment to be sure..not so tough to find a few nice coins, but nearly impossible to see a set like this all together..good job.
    bruce scher
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive set!

I wonder if there's a story on the 1894......
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an unbelievable set of coins, but here is the kicker...he can still up-grade 22 different coins, but most of these are pop 1 or 2, in which he has a pop of about 5 or less...outstanding!!!

The good Dr. is also putting together a set of Barber dimes. I wonder if he will also do the quarters?

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. What an accomplishment. I have to imagine it took many years to put the set together... a labor of love.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barber coinage in high grade are just outstanding, a deep cameo proof is one of the nicest coins to own

Nice set and hope it stays in tact for a while
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Now this set is going to be on display at pcgs in Long Beach, Feb. 2005.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Dr. D on this and his other impressive collections....and a nice guy, besides! imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that the set is listed, it's probably for sale, right?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Andy

You're wrong.Dr. D said it would be 5 years before he sells the set.He is a long time collector unlike many of the collector/investors today.

Stewart
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're wrong.Dr. D said it would be 5 years before he sells the set.

Of course. That's what I would say if I were looking to sell ASAP.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    To all who inquired about images, we hope to have all the coins in all three collections imaged while they are at the Long Beach show.

Then after they are returned, coins and images, there will be a posting here of many of the coins, side by side for many.

The 2 good Doctors and I will be at the PCGS table during the show to answer any questions, and the coins will be allowed to be viewed, in hand, one at a time.

All come to the show, and have a great time.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    A truly amazing and important accomplishment!! Whether he chooses to stay pat, improve more, or sell--I hope he pays a few bucks to have this major collection properly documented and photographed like the TDN (Legend) Registry Sets. That way it will remain a key collector resource for years to come.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about the series but certainly will enjoy looking at them and having a chance to learn something.

My $5 Indian Gold Registry Set
  • Options
    TahoeDale

Was anyone hired to do the imaging?I mentioned the event to Shylock,who in my opinion is the #1 photographer for coin imaging.Hopefully he will be in Long Beach.

Stewart
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a job well done. However....

Yes, a very nice set. Now all he/she needs is to supply great pictures of each coin.

I dont even bother looking if there are no pictures. I already know what the number 66 or 67 looks like. I wanna see the darn coin!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Just to settle any doubt, the set is not close to being for sale...as Stewart said...at least 5 years. Someone commented on the Barber Dime set he's working on..LOOK at the Saint set Steve Duckor has built!! Some of the finest coins to be had.