Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In Praise of Hairlines and Ticks!

I'm sitting here looking at a beautiful Lincoln commemorative slabbed 64. Has some field ticks, they don't really draw the eye. Gorgeous, satiny luster, gold and blue toning... a small hairline.

Next to it is my 64 Stone Mountain. Well struck, gold, mauve and yellow in the sky surrounding Lee and Jackson... one small tick on Lee's horse. You'd have to look for it....

I am so glad to gets these coins, in these grades. For the record, in the days before PCGS and NGC I'll bet they would have cost more. Because I have no doubt someone would have been asking the price of a Gem for them. And to me they are. No question. Even if the expects say they aren't. My pleasure in them would not heighten with a bump in the technical grade.

Those hairlines and ticks can sometimes be the collector's friend. Especially the collector on a budget.
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clank:

Many 64 Coins reside in my collection. If memory serves me correctly if they would have been bought in the early to mid 80's I would still be paying for them. The coins would have Graded Gem for sure back then.

Classic MS64 coins are for sure a great buy in these times. Still hopeing that everyone will keep looking down upon them as Dogs. image

Ken
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what you mean.

But ticks are nasty, especially when you have to pull 'em off the dog. Yuck. They carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease, too. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Yea, verily.

It's so great to be able to get a really nice coin in AU-58 because of a minor rub at a huge discount from MS-63. Ticks and rubs can be our friends, indeed.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I think hairlines can be weighed too heavily in the grading equation, because to me they sometimes aren't very distracting at all. I agree, it can make for a lovely coin in a 64 slab! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Yep, it's the flipside of "crazy" prices for the "magic" number... sometimes a nice coin can actually get hurt by its label. I'd rather have 10 coins like you describe than one slightly better one in a higher label.
  • Options
    As a collector, that is. As a dealer, gimme just that one coin to sell, thanks. image
  • Options
    Carl:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a few nicks and hairlines, especially for coins that size.
    Adds character!!! Keep enjoying them. I collect early commems in 62-66 as well. 64 is my favorite grade.

Brian.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    A tick or hairline is to be expected on a 64 so it's no big deal to me. If it has some outstanding qualities like well struck or lusterous that's even better.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file