Home U.S. Coin Forum

IKE Collectors: 1977-D In MS69 (!) on eBay!

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wow!
Now, if only this one really was...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1390818755

peacockcoins

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, just in case someone snatches that one up with the BIN, the Seller has a second one- a 1977 in MS69... imagehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1390818721

peacockcoins

• Yeah right Pat: Wouldda-Shouldda-Couldda

Frank
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭
    I have a 73 D that looks as good as that. In fact, my 73D has much better luster and strike than that 77, but has a ding on Ike's forehead. Maybe I should send it to PCI.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that cut, on Ike's forehead, keeping it from grading MS70? image
    And they want 3 grand for it? image
    And there's a another one just life it? image
    PCI?image

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the cut on Ike's forehead plus the other tick marks on the rest of his bust. If this is MS-69, I wonder what one with the tick marks but no cut on Ike forehead should grade? Let's see MS-70 is supposed to be perfect, but what about the tick marks?

If this puppy sells, maybe PCI should open a registry.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Wll, at least PCI put a MS coin in the holder. Saw a MS-67 ACG Liberty Nickel that when cracked, would cross to a legitimate service at GD-04.
    Keith ™

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

My friend doesn't like this one, and thinks you should take a pass.

Russ, NCNE
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the 77-D is in the 98.5 %ile
    The '77 makes the 99th %ile.

Hey, at least they picked a couple of nice ones to call MS-69!

For this kind of money they'll double their money on the "90"
    mint sets they bought with only two coins!
    Tempus fugit.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Both coins might luckily be crossed-over to PCGS MS66. Most likely, MS65. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would hope the '77 would go a solid MS-66. The 77-D should be a high end MS-65 I think.
    Where are the experts when you need them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Oh man... amazing how far, how fast, the new PCI has slipped. I think even ACG grades MS Ikes more strictly.

The 77 looks like a nice coin but a little hazy and lackluster. Could make 66, but looks like some minor scuffs on the forehead, and more importantly, a nasty tick at the rear of Ike's eye. Unless that's just in the photo.

The 77-D also looks like a nice strong strike coin, but would go no higher than PCGS MS65 due to scuffs on the portrait and bagmark in the reverse field behind the eagle. Looks like it may have scuffing on the outer edge of the lower eagle wing too, which could hurt it further.

Usual caveats about grading from a scan, but... looks like they're worth at best less than 1/10 the BIN price in the correct holder. Yeow.

Maybe PCI just got the second 6 in the grade upside down? image
  • The 77 also has the missing tailfeathers details on the far left tail feathers. according to pcgs there is no such thing as an ms 69 Ike. I got ripped by orlando coin once already, they own pci by the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file