Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nice coin for under $200? How about $500?

Looking for recommendations on what each of you would buy if you had a self imposed limit of $200 per coin purchase. How about if it was $500 per coin?

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    If all I had was $200, I would get high quality morgan dollars. For $500 per coin, I would get as many gold coins as I could. And, occassionally, I would branch out and use the 200/500 to get nice types of other series.
  • JeffinMich--
    If I had $200 right now, and an original 57 mint set was in front of me, with nice matched toning and all the original packaging (inner and outer) then I would buy it with pleasure.

And since I already edited this, for $500.00 I'd go looking for a nice Antietam commem.

Edit: 9 out of 10 of my posts are edited for spelling. You'd think I'd just use "preview."
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would look for nice proof indian cents in 63/64 rb.
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I would get PCGS PL/DMPL Morgans.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    $200-Slq's
    $500-Proof cameo liberty nickel or a ms66 peace dollar.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    No Bands Mercury dimes... what a surprise. DLRC has a 34-D in 67 for $450 right now. They can be high...but then it is not my $500.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are too many to list. A few years ago, I did an entire 1798-2000 nongold US type set on a budget of less than $500 a coin. Even a budget of $200 or less gives you a lot of options. I am of the opinion that there are bargains in every level of the market, even the really cheap stuff.

This is particularly true if you arm yourself with a Krause Standard Catalog and embrace "The Dark Side" as well (world coins). I once bought a box of "Darkside" coins for a dime each. The catch was, I was not allowed to pick and choose- I had to buy the whole box, for forty bucks. The coins in the box ranged in date from about 1630-1950, and there were many key date British pennies. All told, there was over $1,200 catalog value in there. And though it took a long time to sell off, I got about half catalog for the stuff. Six hundred bucks for a forty dollar investment is a good score any way you look at it. Granted, this is not day-in, day-out cherrypicking, but this sort of thing has happened many, many times, to me and to people I know. Too many people ignore the Darkside.

OK, so I strayed off-topic, but 200 bucks spent on the Darkside can buy some amazing stuff. A full-red Mint State British halfpenny of George III, from the 1700's, for example. You get a lot of bang for the buck over there.

I like to sell Darkside coins to finance my Lightside collecting habits. I'm fond of old Darkside coins and 19th century US type coins in just about any grade above Fine.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TTT - thanks everyone for the input so far. Trying to expand my horizons and collect some new series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file