Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you feel about others asking you how much you paid for a coin?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll tell them, then I'll tell them what I think it's worth. If they ask, I'll also tell them what I'd sell it for, but they won't like that number lol.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get asked that question frequently...my normal answer is "more than I wanted to".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of coins i get are from auctions. Anyone I show a coin to could simply look up the cert # and it will reference the auction price in the history for the cert for most of them. Personally i dont care if they know, but I find it odd that many people can't appreciate the coins i show them if they dont first look up what its worth.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to whom they are and the situation that requires a reasonable response.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Alert - 20 year old thread, but relevant still. Resurrecting due to a current related thread about non-collectors asking about the value of grandma's coins.

I was wondering about seeing all those new names that were already banned.

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

I don't really care, half of my items can be looked up in auction house records, the other half can be guesstimated if you look at the previous PCGS sales.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 8:31AM

Seeing these old threads always make me wonder why the non-banned posters just stopped posting. Some of them stopped only a couple of years ago, some almost 20 years ago. So many have come and gone.

You can usually find out what a dealer "paid" for a coin. Just make an offer and the response almost always is something like this: "Well, I've got (your offer price - 10 bucks) in it, so I need more than that!"

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't tell a customer. A friend or family or acquaintance that's curious? Maybe.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss GSAGUY.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    I find it annoying when dealers ask you what you paid for a coin when selling to them. It's completely irrelevant, make your offer or pass and move on.

Have you ever asked a dealer what he paid for a coin? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I usually don't ask, just search the auction archives or dealer sites. Many leave coins up for weeks after sold. Give a ballpark at least.

Frequently, dealers sell coins for less that their posted ask price.

I agree, so I figure that in. Many online dealers give at least 3-5% off if paid by check since they accept CC and those come with fees.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If a fellow collector that I know well asks, I usually tell them. If a non-collector asks, I'll usually deflect since I don't want them to think I'm crazy. Fortunately, my wife never asks and I don't tell. ;)

ditto!

But, luckily mine never asks.

She doesn't like when I lie.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rarely encounter the question 'How much did you pay...?'.... More often, 'How much is it worth?' Even that is not often anymore, since I do not know of any collectors where I live now. If my wife asks, I tell her exactly what it cost and the value. No need for secrets. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

no worries, it' part of the hobby...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 5:07AM

@Joe_360 said:
    no worries, it' part of the hobby...

Agree.

And often times it's public as they can look it up on PCGS CoinFacts or GC.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I laughed after I realized that this was a 20 year old thread. When I first looked at the thread I saw a few banned posters and thought to myself:

“Be careful what you post as this thread will get you banned”

😜

But then I realized I’m good…

So when asked:

“Hey that sexy really shiny and old coin, what did you pay for it!”

My answer is

“Face Value”

Then my wife smacks me up the head and tells me “Stop being a dumb a$$”

And I slink away hoping she forgets to ask me again.

If it’s a collector he has an idea what I paid, no use even asking me.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever made an offer on a dealer's coin and he says "I can do it for that. I paid $XXX for this coin."? If so, do you believe him? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

Well I do sometimes get a similar statement along the lines of "maybe it/they will be worth something someday"...to which feel like I'm disappointing them when I say I'm into the collecting/challenge of the journey. I mean sure it just so happens that many of the video game cartridges are worth way more than say 5-10 years ago but I just got way too much sentimental value/memories tied to them to want to sell anyway. And the few times I did sell stuff (usually to "trade" for something else) I end up regretting it most every time. So if I add something to one of my collections, I expect it to be for keeps.

Another question I get commonly asked is "What's your most valuable card?"...um, I do sets, not really individual cards...and if I ever was able to work on say, a 1971 or 1972 set I'd want to save the most expensive ones (PSA 7's of course) last.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind sharing wins and losses long after the fact.

But no... I don't even tell my wife.

Usually I have in mind a happy price based on research and motivation to sell.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Have you ever made an offer on a dealer's coin and he says "I can do it for that. I paid $XXX for this coin."? If so, do you believe him? :D

I was trying to negotiate with an eBay dealer on a coin that got away from me in an auction.

Auction price was $1560 in April 2022...then listed on a well known dealer site weeks later for $1799. Weeks later listed on eBay(and still listed today) for $5660. I didn't ask his price because I know it. But he volunteered that he purchased it in 2019 for $4000. And then, later, honestly, it was $2500. I offered $2100 but he can't, he would lose over $1000.

Okay....

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

See below ......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

When I saw this topic, I thought it might be about Bryan Sonnier (GSAGUY) and his passing many years ago. I think he passed back in 2012.
    Bryan was certainly the best GSA collector of his time and probably the best of all time.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont generally mind. It can be interesting and entertaining to see people's reactions when you tell them.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Generally, I do believe him or her, but it is largely as irrelevant to me as the price he or she paid if it was much less than my valuation. However, it may very well impact my ability to purchase the coin. What I don't like to see is a coin marked at X that recently sold at auction for 50 or 60% of X, but again, I only dislike it if the asking price is just too high relative to the market. Otherwise, it really shouldn't matter.

Tom

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 8:13AM

FWIW, I would not ask a dealer what he paid for a coin if I were actually looking to buy it. I might, however, ask him for the coin's auction history, just to save me the minute it would take to look it up for myself. And the auction history can certainly be relevant if I'm buying for resale, because many of my potential buyers look at those records before making decisions.

As for whether or not it bothers me if a buyer asks me what I paid for a coin, it depends. Sometimes it's a fair question, like when the buyer obviously knows nothing about the coin. Other times, it's obnoxious.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never minded the question, "how much did you pay?" A truthful answer would be forthcoming from me if the asker promised, on a stack of Redbooks from the last ten years, not to snicker.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 8:26AM

One of the VERY many reasons I have switched out of US coins.
    The darkside seems more concerned about rarity, design, historic aspects. Condition, while important, seems far less critical. Price seems way less of an issue.

That plus the hats are better!

. ;)

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been asked. I would not remember anyhow, I keep a coin database for that information.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been asked (by family, friends, co-workers and dealers) and I don't mind answering, but then I'm not a dealer trying to sell my coins and make a living at it.

I don't expect any dealer to tell me what they paid for a coin. The dealer puts a price on it. I ask if they can do any better for cash/check and we go from there. I have never and would never ask what they have into the coin.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@3stars said:
    I find it annoying when dealers ask you what you paid for a coin when selling to them. It's completely irrelevant, make your offer or pass and move on.

Have you ever asked a dealer what he paid for a coin? :D

Why? it’s irrelevant and I doubt they would tell you the truth anyway.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s none of their business.

If they ask I just say “it’s confidential with the seller.”

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 11:24AM

At shows I usually have a pad in marked prices giving me room if they try talk me down. This works best on my low pop world material.

Another play call is something have at best price but marked in red. If they try talk you down I say “sorry this is the lowest the consignor will go.” Or one could say “best I can do, marked at $5 over costs.”

Sometimes they will just buy the item, paying my marked price laying the money on my table. I like these customers best.

Once you know a regular customer one can select the appropriate playcall. Tom has a regular big ticket spender on CC dollars. This guy expects 10-15 pct discount. Could be buying multiple at a time. So his playcall is pad priced to allow for haggle room enough he can make decent profit.

People like to see prices especially if something they can afford.

A collector comes up who is obvious an experienced collector. That’s all nice and fine - but is he somebody who will pay the money?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

sometimes you just have to say, "it not worth anything unless you're willing to buy it for more than I paid!" or just have a sign like one dealer had that said extra charge to fill out receipt for what you are going to tell your "Better Half" what you paid for this coin. I feel it's no one's business unless you are bidding at an auction then everyone knows.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't say anything as if i said i paid this amount for that coin i'd be bragging and trust me i'm not into bragging not my style

if they really want to know they can research the coin and such themselves and figure it out

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lew said:
    When I saw this topic, I thought it might be about Bryan Sonnier (GSAGUY) and his passing many years ago. I think he passed back in 2012.
    Bryan was certainly the best GSA collector of his time and probably the best of all time.

Maybe revisiting some of these old thread is a nice way to honor our deceased forum members.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it depends on when the question is being asked. If I'm selling the coin don't ask. Otherwise I don't mind the question.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Enough to have bought it”. 😉

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think full transparency benefits collectors, so I'll tell people if they ask.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

It only bothers me when I know I overpaid for a coin.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind if anyone knows the price I paid. There are enough sources around for a buyer/seller to educate themselves.

I do my own research and determine the price I will am willing to buy or sell in today's market. If my sales are going well I might bid up a bit. If sales are slow my motivation to purchase an item decreases.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm usually not bothered when asked. So, it's easiest if I answer , "10% less than what I'm asking for it." Sometimes more. Sometimes less.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just a collector and if asked about a recent purchase I might still remember what I paid and have no problem relating. Anything more than a few weeks ago I'd probably have to look at my records unless it was one of the very few expensive coins I've purchased over the years, those are memorable.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always say: "More than some, less than others."

Can be used for other questions.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good look which often produces my response which others may see as not a good look either

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2022 3:59PM

I have collectors telling me how much I paid for a coin (via auction histories) and then how much I should sell them that coin based on my buy price.

I find it very amusing :):D>:)

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭

Try

I prefer not to say. or

I got it in change from a vending machine. Or

I found it in the parking lot. or

I inherited it.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:
    Try

I prefer not to say. or

I got it in change from a vending machine. Or

I found it in the parking lot. or

I inherited it.

Or, show'em a Fugio and ask them to read the legend! ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file