Home U.S. Coin Forum

New to the Boards

au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself. I've been looking at the forum for a while and have read some very interesting stuff. You seem to have a great group here so I decided to take the plunge.

My first name is Jim. I reside in Virginia. I have been interested in coins for quite some time. Besides being a hobby, it teaches history, art, politics, human nature, etc.

My interests have varied over time. Years ago, I put together a number of sets of circ. and unc. Mercury Dimes. Then, full split bands became the rage and I would have been foolish to keep what I had and I would have been foolish to pay the new prices.

Then I got very interested in Indian Cents and Buffalo Nickels. I put together a few sets of each. A CAUTIONARY NOTE from this phase of my collecting career:

I once bought an 1877 Indian Cent at a large show from a very reputable dealer. Before I bought it, I took it to the on-site ANA authentication/grading representative who declared it, in his opinion, to be genuine. Only after I resold it to another very reputable and VERY EXPERIENCED dealer, who sent it in to be certified, was it determined to be a fake - a cast copy. Needless to say, it was a good one. If you ever buy an 1877 Indian Cent, take every measure to assure its authenticity.

Now, I am very interested in Seated Half Dollars and Dollars. Since it is hard to find either with nice eye appeal, I am better able to keep my budget in check.

I elected to use au58 as my member name because, in my view, the grade offers terrific collector value. There are some great looking coins out there at reasonable prices in au58. Even though I was there for the coin booms in the late 70's, and the late 80's, I have yet to sort through all the hype. Though not entirely anti-slab, I still don't know why some feel that a coin is worth more in a PCGS 65 slab than it was the day before in a PCGS 64 slab. Isn't it still the same coin?

Thank you for allowing me to join.

Jim

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! Got proof JFKs?

Russ, NCNE
  • Welcome, Jim!
    Always a boon to the board to have a new member join, who is thoughtful, experienced and looking to add something to the give and take. Enjoy.
    Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • welcome a board i also collect seated coinage ( half-dimes ) i hope u can learn something here on the CU forums. I could be the offical forum greeter image
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Jim. I too like the AU58 grade as well as MS64 for the value they offer. The only time I don't like it is when my BU coins come back AU58!
  • Jim ,WELCOME aboard! I think you will find the boards a great place to always pick up info. I almost always gain more insight to the hobby as time passes and i read more posts. image

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards, au58!

You'll want to enable "private messages" by clicking on "profile" at the top right of the page, then look for "Enable Private Messages". It's always great to have another experienced collector around. Out of curiosity, where do you buy your coins? Ebay, shows, shops?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Welcome Jim to the cornicopia of numismatic knowledge.
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.

I've always thought AU-58 coins offer great value. You get a coin that cosmetically has everything you need with mint luster at an affordable price.

Good advice about the 1877 Indian cent. Sorry it happened.

You make a point we are all trying to figure out. Why is a coin that is in a 64 holder one day that is worth x amount and the next day gets put in a 65 holder and is worth double? Maybe it has something to do with being human and wanting everything to be in order. We've devloped this system where the nicer the coin the more it's worth and have experts grade these coins. The problem is grading coins isn't a science so a coin can grade at a different place on the scale on different days. Even knowing this we are entrenched in this system where you can look on a sheet, look up a grade and bingo you have the value. It's one of those thinks that makes sense on paper but in reality isn't so simple. Doe any of this rambling make sense?
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    au58
    Let me add my welcome.I couldn't agree more with your statement about AU58 coins.Have fun on here.I have a 1928 AU58 SLQ W/Full Head.It is a beauty.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Jim, from the intelligent tone of your introduction we're lucky to have you on board. And I like your nic!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Jim, you are in for some interesting conversations!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Welcome! Enjoy the ride!

Regards,
    Its4real
    "spare change? Nahhhhh...never have any...sold it all on E-bay..."
    see? My Auctions "Got any 1800's gold?"
  • I too, was quite pleased to find these forums late last week, (I knew there was intelligent life on the internet somewhere!) There are some fascinating topics on your boards, great people discussing them, and much, much, to be learned. My name is Joe, I'm 45 and live on the central coast of California. My interest in the hobby has just recently been resurrected (used to collect in my early teens) and eBay has been of much value to me in finding specific coins and getting a feel for what things might be worth.

My interests are the beautiful silver coins of the past, I have a very nice Franklin set, (still very affordable series!), some Morgan dollars, some Standing Liberty quarters and Walking Liberty halves. I also love U.S. Gold coins but only own a few as I often talk myself out of them by thinking about what the same buying power would get me elsewhere. I also just recently began buying certified coins and will probably do my first submissions soon! I also collect proof coins and sets and really like the eye-appeal of them.

Looking forward to reading and learning from you all! (And occasionally putting in my 2 cents worth!)
    Joe
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Jim and Joe.

I still don't know why some feel that a coin is worth more in a PCGS 65 slab than it was the day before in a PCGS 64 slab. Isn't it still the same coin?

No, when coins upgrade, they magically transform into superior objects and blemishes disappear. Consider it like someone being canonized into sainthood. image

You may want to check out the Liberty Seated Collectors Club if you're interested in SL halves and dollars.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Welcome Jim and Joe.
  • au58-
    Welcome to the Boards. I look forward to your insight. You are absolutely correct regarding the AU-58 coin. It represents a lot of eye appeal for the dollar spent. Enjoy your time here.
  • A sincere welcome to you both. I am sure you will enjoy your stay, and share and gain some knowledge along the way. There are MANY super people that participate here, looks like we have 2 more image

Greg
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Jim & Joe. Glad to meet you.
  • Welcome Jim, To the best coin website available for knowledge. Enjoyimage
    AL
    AL(Copperhead)
    Gotta love them Mercs
  • Welcome Jim and Joe image :bob
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." Plato

....... bob**rgte**
  • Well... welcome, Joe! This is great, the new members are mulitiplying.
    And it seems like they can spell, too! It's too good to be true.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but if you look at my last post (immediately above) you will see that I screwed up already. I'll try not to let it happen again.
    Nice to be able to welcome Joe on my first day as a member. Hello Joe.
    To answer the questions that I have received thus far:
    For Russ - no proof JFKs.
    For Kranky - Most of what I buy I find at shows. Thanks for the tips on PM. If I can figure this board out, I should be able to figure out how to enable PM.
    For DCAM Franklin - Fortunately, I was not on the receiving (buying) end of Pepperdoodles' business ethics. I did have to learn a lesson the hard way though.
    Jim
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, welcome. In order to learn the secret handshake, please send a'64 proof JFK to Russ and an Accented Hair JFK to me.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Welcome to the forum from one newbie to another. You are 100% correct about AU58 coins, they can be a great bargain. Hope you like it here, I've learned tons already. Johnimage
  • Welcome, Jim! I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay here as much as I have.

Russ beat me to it. Got any SILVER proof JFKs?

I truly like your perspective on the hobby.

(The pod grows)
  • Hello to you too Jim, and many thanks to you all for the warm reception! image
  • Goodie! Another couple of brains to pick! Welcome from probably the only non-collector (yet) that the board has! I'm enjoying learning, and welcome you both!

P.S. JLW-- I love your signature line!
  • Welcome to the boards Joe. image

Welcome to the boards Jim. image

I believe you two are going to fit right in. Have fun!!
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Welcome Jim and Joe. Like Clankeye said it's nice to have new members who can spell. I know that I can't spell to save my life. Nevertheless, it is still nice to have a place to talk about coins and have lots of different opinions about coin topics. The more opinions the better!
  • Welcome Jim and Joe and any other newbie! You picked a great place to come to. image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome JLW and Au 58.

Don't worry about the blank post-- they all count.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Welcome Jim and Joe its nice to hear from you.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Welcome Jim; I guess you didn't get the memo about the initiation process into this group...you have to give each one of us an MS65 of our favorite coin AND take us all out to dinner.............only kidding!!!
    Are you a dealer or just an accumulator like me?
    Again, Welcome.
  • Welcome,

I am sure you will enjoy this as much as I do. My wife still doesn't understand all the time I spend here, but it is an addiction I believe. Could be spending my time in much worse places I tell her.

Jay
  • Welcome Jim. You and I sound alot alike. Very nice introduction.image

KINIG COIN KING OF COINS
  • RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    Welcome aboard Jim and Joe. We now know you but you are probably still in the dark about most of us. This Link will help a little in that regard.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file