Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Cracked Out Coins Not Alowed In The Regsitry. Period

I have read with interest the posts below on whether cracked out raw coins should be allowed in the registry. Some argue that the rules are vague. So, I read the rules myself. They clearly state that only PCGS coins are allowed in the registry, and that to be a PCGS coin, a coin must CURRENTLY be in a PCGS holder (Capitals are in the rules and not my emphasis). So cheat if you want, and rationalize however you want, but don't say the rules are vague.

Greg

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Hindsight truly is 20/20! image

BJ clarified the rules this morning and updated what you just read.
  • That what I try to tell my clients about their equity portfoliosimage

Greg
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "(Capitals are in the rules and not my emphasis)"

Greg: I forgot to put a tiny "tm" next to my CURRENTLY! Darn it image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Well I am very interested in how this CLARIFICATION will change the registry standings.

Will the collectors who have been doing it THEIR way now stand up and update their sets? Integrity is now questionable otherwise.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure the standings will change every bit as much as they did after the last rules clarification.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • WOW

This is a simple all PCGS has to do is REQUIRE that all coins in the set are scanned and posted with the set showing the complete COIN,SLAB and INSERT.
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed

• << <i>This is a simple all PCGS has to do is REQUIRE that all coins in the set are scanned and posted with the set showing the complete COIN,SLAB and INSERT >>

Good idea, but what is to keep the coin for getting cracked the second after the photo? I don't have a scanner, digital camera etc. which would keep me out of the registry. Every coin in my set is actually in the slab and in my set. Honesty is the key. I trust other collectors. If they cheat, they are only cheating themselves.

Cameron Kiefer
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Saw that one coming a mile away. Really, did you really think it was going to be anything else but holdered coins? Common sense is not always common.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • IDEA, When a set hits the top 5 it is required to undergo a PCGS review.

What kind of review? Maybe proof of ownership with PCGS randomly picking 50% of the coins in your set requiring a scan, pic or some other form of verification.

It is clear if left up to collector integrity there will always be foul play.
    Bill

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

> Well I am very interested in how this CLARIFICATION will change the registry standings

When est. graded sets were removed, you should see the all timing standings changes.

Of course, PCGS could decide to violate the rules that set by themselves since they are the referee. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

<< <i>It is clear if left up to collector integrity there will always be foul play. >>

Bill, where is your evidence of this foul play?
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Bill
    I'm sorry,I don't agree with your statement"It is clear if left up to collector integrity there will always be foul play".I believe the collectors are basically an honest bunch.Call me naive,but that is my opinion.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............................
    Wow. 1984 meets Animal Farm. George Orwell would be proud.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talking pigs and face eating rats.
    Yuck.

peacockcoins

• << <i>Bill, where is your evidence of this foul play? >>

LMAO, that is just my non naive opinion. Proof or not tell me its not true. Tell me it will never happen. You cannot and therefore I endorse a PCGS Registry set verification.

It has been shown in the past that people who do not agree with the rules in any game find it easy to play by and justify to themselves their own set or rules. Why would coin collectors/DEALERS image as a whole be any different?
    Bill

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks,

I don't think BJ's revised wording will be made enforceable. Bill suggested something like a verification program for top-ranked sets. Who will pay for this? The collectors? We will scream if this isn't free. Will PCGS? Doubtful. Shipping and insurance will get pretty expensive for TDN's sets!

So, if it isn't enforceable, then it's a matter of trust. If it's a matter of trust, then why not trust that someone will protect their coins just as dearly in the slab as outside it? And, if the coin gets damaged, then trust that that person will de-register his coin.

If it's not about trust, then the scheme falls to pieces. If it's about trust, then why not trust people fully?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• << <i>1984 meets Animal Farm. George Orwell would be proud. >>

Again LMAO,

How many times has PCGS been forced to clarify the rules because people failed to use or threw common sense out the window and interpreted them the way they wanted it to be? Or made a rule to protect the integrity of the registry? Do you really expect me to believe their are no current sets that violate the newly clarified rule? Am I to believe everyone will now all of the sudden see the light correct the error of their ways?

Set verification is just the next step in strengthining the integrity of the registry.
    Bill

Shipping on my one coin was about $1500 to PCGS. The rest of the set was hand delivered to PCGS by myself and pedigreed there. Then it cost almost $1000 for their courier to deliver it back here. Total cost around $3000. I imagine High Desert's type set would be about the same. In fact, an awful lot of sets on the Registry would be cheaper to courier than ship.

How often would you like to verify it? Perhaps if each member kicks in $100 per year to pay for the costs of an annual verification of the top few sets in order to satisfy a few members that everything is nice and tidy??

Does anyone else think this whole idea is just plain STUPID!?!
    How many times has PCGS been forced to clarify the rules because people failed to use or threw common sense out the window and interpreted them the way they wanted it to be? Or made a rule to protect the integrity of the registry?

Bill,

Your condescension and demeaning attitude is very unbecoming. That BJ's ruling is consistent with your thinking does not give you license to say that those who disagreed used less common sense. Nor that they were trying to violate anything.

When the rules are vague, you should allow for the possibility that two perfectly reasonable people can disagree on the interpretation. And, even if the rules aren't vague to you, you should allow for the possibility that they may be mis-read or mis-interpreted by other reasonable people.

EVP

Does anyone else think this whole idea is just plain STUPID!?!

I won't say that the idea is stupid, but I do think it needs quite a bit more thinking. Moreover, I doubt that it will fly. In fact, I'm willing to bet one of TDN's coins on it not flying! image

EVP

[edited to add: TDN, read your email!]

• EVP,

My comments are blunt but their is no intent to be condescending or demeaning to anyone.

My apologies if that is the way it has been interpreted.
    Bill

• This whole thing is stupid, mainly because even with clarification it's
    still unenforceable. I guess it's good to know either way though.

TDN,
    Funny idea ($100 yearly fee). What little fish collector is going to be willing
    to subsidize the cost of you sending your collection in for verification?
    Mark me down for "I'm willing to trust you" and I'll keep my hundred bucks. image

-KHayse
    Those that want verification should pay the costs of shipping and insurance so those with the top sets can send them in. Not sure what the insurance cost is as they are only concerned with the holder and not the coin in it. No one is even questioning whether the coin is owned, just the plastic it is in.

I have a coin, that is in a dansco album, listed in a registry set. What am I gaining? Let's see. The set is ranked lower than 90 in the set. Does it really bother anyone that this set is listed? Who is being cheated?
    I have a coin, that is in a dansco album, listed in a registry set.

My God! Quick, take out back and beat him with a rubber hose! image

All that matters to me is that you enjoy your coin. (And, I hope that you do!)

Regards,

EVP

I would pull my sets before sending them in to be verified again. They've been there once already and I won't take the chance of something bad occuring again. All it takes is an accident, a dishonest employee or whatever and one of the things I treasure the most is gone forever. In return for the ability to list my coins here? Forgetaboutit!