Home U.S. Coin Forum

Urgent Help Needed- Coins as Forms of Art

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's the scoop- we have to do an English research paper on the humanities, and I want to show how coins can show a country's culture as a form of art- the minting process of sculpting/engraving included. I know that I can use info with world coins, as well as American coins, such as the forms of Liberty changing over time---

My teacher won't let me do this unless I can find publications written by professors and the like on the subject of coins as art...

If you know of any websites that I could get information from to prove a point, or a book that I could borrow/get from the ANA library, please tell me ASAP- I don't want to write about a paiting!

Thanks!

Jeremy, from Period 7 Honors English
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy, Look for a copy of: Numismatic Art in America, Aesthetics of the United States Coinage, written by Cornelius Vermeule. I think this book would be just the ticket for your assignment since the book is the first comprehensive aesthetic evaluation of American coinage. ANA should have it. Scott
  • Jeremy, this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I'm thinking out loud. One point that can easily be made as far as coins as "Art" and being a part of the reflection of the culture of the United States, is to look at some of the artists who have contributed designs to US coinage. Artists like Borglum who created Mount Rushmore and Stone Mountain, artists on a lot of the commemoratives like Trygve Rovelstad (Elgin)... these guys were respected as serious artists, not just designers of coinage. They contributed to the culture and history of American art on a far broader scale than simply coins. Information on people like these can be found in books like "Commemorative Coins of the United States by Bowers, that link the history of the coins to a broader view of the era. I would think or hope that your instructors would accept a book like that as a legitmate source in a discussion of coinage as art and a reflection of culture.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One point that can easily be made as far as coins as "Art" and being a part of the reflection of the culture of the United States >>

You're brilliant! That is exactly what I tried to explain (going further that they can represent countries of the darkside...)

I did manage to persuade her! image I found a picture of an engraver sculpting a JFK obverse and explained how a sculpture is art... so coins had to be...

I WON!!!!

But I'll still need the sources image

Thanks!

Jeremy

PS- good thing my ANA member packet just came!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy,

Might I suggest you check out the ANA library for relevant reference material. You might also consider contacting the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Museum at the ANA and see how they might be able to help you in your project. Good luck!

p.s. Let me also suggest that you submit your finished paper to Coin World, Numismatic News, The Numismatist, or some other coin-related publication. Sounds like a good way to become a published coin researcher.
    Matt
    Flahs,

1- Taking all of the book suggestions and will email the ANA today or tomorrow- have a math test to study for right now image
    2- Did plan on submitting it- if it's in the Numismatist I even get $400 YN image

Jeremy
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    St Guadens was the most famous scupltor of his time.
    Thanks all! I just sent an email to the ANA library with your books, as well as a request for any more which they may be able to find on the topics.

Jeremy, tired and ready to fall on his face
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy - I like your idea, and have a similar theme for a website that's on hold until I have more time this winter. www.eagledesigns.org will trace the various designs of eagles on US coinage through the decades, with an emphasis on the artistic inspiration for each. To me the eagles are what give US coins their special flavor and some are truly fine works of art.

A few examples of pages in their early stages:

Gobrecht's Eagle
    Longacre's Eagle
    Saint-Gauden's Eagle
    MacNeil's Eagle

Vermeule's book (Numismatic Art in America) was a great suggestion. As a Museum Curator he gives a unique perspective about coin designs that should be helpful convincing your teacher you have done your homework on this!
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try this link:

Linkie
    Thanks, guys image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file