Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Braddick's thread expanded: How to limit returning coins.

I thought that I would expand on this.
To increase your satisfaction, Here is my formula for keeping returns to a minimum.
The average collector today buys coins from the following sources, and in this order.

Ebay:
1.Keep a list of quality sellers that you have experience with before and buy from them again.
EBay allows a seller search, so this should be easy.
2.Look for quality scans.
3.Limit to PCGS/NGC.
4.Excessive neutrals worry me more than a few negatives. Excessive neutrals represent mediocrity,
Comparing two sellers with 500 feedbacks, I would rather buy from one who has 4 negatives,
than one who has 17 neutrals.

Shows:
1.Sight seen, no excuse!

Trusted dealers:
1.Again, quality scans and your personal experience. PCGS/NGC rules apply. Local coin shops also.

Coin Clubs:
1.same as shows.

Personal contacts and friends.
1. My favorite. Those who have similar eye appeal and grading criteria. I don't need a scan.
There are about ten people on my list, who's word is good enough for me, I have never
been unpleased. This is the best way.

I hope this is helpful.

Brian.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Do all that, I still return coins because they do not meet the grade on the holder or have problems. I've returned coins to the most reputable sellers on eBay, including everybody's hero, R&I.

Most recent return was to a seller with over 1200 positives and zero neutrals or negatives. The coin was in a 69DCAM holder, an excellent scan was provided, and I even eMailed the seller during the auction and specifically asked if it had any haze in the fields. With the coins I collect, this is an ongoing concern. His response was that there was no haze. Got the coin, the fields were hazed.

The problem with graded coins is that many sellers seem to believe that the grade on the slab relieves them of any responsibility to note problems in the auction description. The flip-side is that many buyers assume that if it says it's a 69, than it must be.

Either that, or I'm just a picky anal-retentive dickhead.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Well... you ARE that. - image but that's beside the point.

I've got my first return ready to go back - from L&C.

It's in a PR69DCAM holder, but would MAYBE go PR67DCAM if I were to submit it due to the awful pockmarks on the devices. Of course - L&C said, "No problem... we'll replace it. image
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    on wingeg liberty's ebay list add to only buy from people who have a return policy.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Either that, or I'm just a picky anal-retentive dickhead.image Russ, NCNE >>

You bet you're an anal-retentive dickhead... now how about you add that you your signature line?

"The anal-retentive dickhead gotta have them proof JKFs collector"
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    You know I did that for the first time last night. I hit a BIN, and then realized I never saw a return policy outlined in the auction. Don't want to get lazy in my old age.
    I look at my insurance as this though... I know the series, it is graded by a third party grader I respect, I paid what I know to be a very reasonable price for the coin. Even if I get it and don't really want to keep it, I know the value holds and I can resell it without losing much, if anything.
    But... I was a little astonished that I didn't pay attention and clear that up first. I got a little excited because I wanted to use the BIN before someonce came in, bid $9.00 and then have to sit around for 7 days when I felt the BIN was fair to begin with.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    L & C is too expensive, I stay away from them.

Brian.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Brian,

In the series that Dan and I collect (proof JFKs), L&C is about the same as everybody else that sells on eBay, sometimes less. They start all their auctions at $1 and one can frequently snipe the coin at below market. They do huge volumes in these, so they're an excellent source of the commodity coins in the series. Good for people when they first start building their sets.

Their catalog prices, though, are high.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file