Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Long Beach - Showdown?

Is someone going to post a report on the 3 IH sets?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

rICK sNOW EXAMINED EVERY COIN and I will go to his table and drag him here to write a report........Right now

Shylock and Lakesammen have just arrived and are presently examining every coin

Stewart
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    wow. all the big dogs are on this one!
  • Options
    Man, I wish I could watch the action!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The showdown has begun!

PCGS has a great setup with cowboy stuff all around: Guns, whips, spurs, handcuffs, hay and cowboy hats. They don't need the handcuffs because these guys are TAKING NO PRISONERS!

These sets are awesome! I looked over all three sets and gave each coin a "tumbs up", Thumbs down" or "Right on" for their respective grade. It's obvious that the clear winner in "quality for the grade" is Stewart Blay. His coins are all in their original holders (not consecutively numbered or recently regraded) Because of this there are many coins that have a shot at a higher grade: 1861, 1862(!), 1863, 1877 (A WOW), 1886 T1, 1888, 1893, 1900 (!), 1905, 1908, 1908-S (Prooflike). Only about 7 coins were LQ enough to warrant buying better examples. None had any major problems like spots, weak strikes, or RB color. Outstanding!

The Ally collection is also outstanding and is ranked second only because of the quality of some of the tough dates in the late 1860's and early 1870's. His 1877 is right on for the grade. The CN pieces are all exceptional. Many of the 1880's are exceptional as well. The set was recently sent in to get consecutive serial numbers, and was regraded at that time. As such, it no wonder that I saw only a few possible upgrade potential coins. 1873 Open 3, 1865 Fancy 5, 1885, 1886 T1, 1887, 1888, 1890, 1894, 1898, 1899.

The Richard collection is a worthy contender and is consecutively numbered as well. A few upgrade potentials are the 1863, 1864 CN, 1865, 1875 and 1899. A few including the 1877 were a bit LQ, and hurt the overall appeal. Everyone first looks at the 1877 first and if it dissapoints, it hurts the first impression. The set is exceptional, but does need a little work. I know the owner has a good eye.

I will report fully on the showdown in the upcoming issue of the Longacre's Ledger, The journal of the Fly-In Club: www.flyinclub.org

Rick Snow
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Rick, and thanks for the "Eagle eye" view on the sets. Wish I could be there to view in person.

Thanks for "dragging" him over Stew, I am sure you had to work to get him to look at 3 complete runs of Mint State Indians. image
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    wow!
    welcome Rick!!

can you guys post a picture of this setup?? or email it to me. I will link it on my space.

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Can you guys post a picture of this setup??

Yes need pictures! Thanks for the report!

• Options
    Don't just e-mail the picture, post it! Everybody wants to see!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    IF someone can email me pic(s) I will place any/all on my webpage and link them here!!!

SHOOT EM RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The showdown is in a word ....WOWimageimageimage Stewarts princess is a monster!!

There have been a few informal showdowns on the side, just as impressive. We are all counting on shylocks photos tomorrow to show those of you who couldn't make it.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This all makes me very sad that I could not make the show.image Hopefully our keeneyed photographer will have some nice images for all us IHC's admirers.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote that a spy slip in there, take pictures of Stewart's Indian heads, get outta there before anybody notices and--at LAST--put 'em up on his Registry Set so the REST of us can see them! image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What?.........no first draw duel?

Heck if we had that then we all could fight over the loser's coins!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

It is Friday morning and Shylock will be arriving any minute,camera in hand,so the photos should be up this afternoon.Any requests for any particular coin photos should be put on the boards.Perhaps we can get some photos of the cowgirls "all dressed up"? I will recommend a photo of the display....if possible?

Stewart
  • Options
    I would like to see the 1872 and of course the 77. Cowgirls get my vote as well.
  • Options
    lets go in order of importance....

Cowgirls!
    Key dates!
    entire display from a distance!
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Patience my dear friends. Paul has taken some wonderful pics, but will not be able to get them up until after he returns home tomorrow. We promise you'll love what you'll see!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Forget the coins.... I want to see the Cowgirls! image

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anxiously looking forward to the pics.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The showdown sets are the highlight of the show.

After viewing the sets this morning, I have to say . . . . BREATHTAKING! Usually I consider it a good show to see one or two coins of that caliber at a show. Stewart's golden princess is probably undergraded, and is the finest of the three. I hope to catch up with him Saturday, when I look at the sets again. It's almost too much to take in at one time.

Blay's set gets my vote for number one, but that doesn't mean the other two sets should be discounted at all. Each stands on it's own as one of the world's finest.

The other golden princesses, BJ and Carol, are wonderful. BJ is busy working up ideas for the next showdown. I can't wait!

Doug
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a great time at LB - it was the best one I've ever been to! The showdown was outstanding - had dinner with Shylock, Snow and Ira D. Another guy brought his complete collection, so the showdown was really 4 sets, including a couple of complete FE sets! There were monsters everywhere at the PCGS table.

My perception was that there didn't seem to be too many new/fresh FE/IHC's on the floor yet I came home with 5....that's alot more than I usually find so I guess it was a pretty good show afterall. After lunch today Shylock and I came across a pair of bookend 1881's in 65R and we bought both! They had just returned to the dealers case from PCGS minutes before I had to leave for the airport....if you want to see pic, check the Lakesamm collection tomorrow under variety circ. IHC's.

Thanks again to BJ and Carol who put in a TON of work. They were extremely gracious to everyone who wanted to see the collections....thanks again!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, the "Cowgirl" showdown will be in my hotel room Saturday night. Come by and vote for the best!!!!! Spurs are mandatory, but everything else is optional!

Whatever happens, I'm keeping my boots on . . . woooooweeeeeeee
    Doug
  • Options
    For you Lincoln Proof fans out there, I upgraded my 36BR PR66red . . . . now I have two . . . should I sell, keep, sell, keep, sell .. . . . .I've got it-- start a second set!!!!!!
    Doug
  • Options

iT IS sATURDAY and the "Showdown" is winding down ............I will make myself available ALL day as I will be leaving on the red eye back to New York tonight

I was just informed that a collection of spectacular Indian head mint state and Proofs have been consigned to Heritage for their
    January 2003 sale at the FUN convention in Florida.There are two ms 68 coins in the sale ....an 1861 and a1899 PCGS ms68....YES
    There is also an 1856 Flying Eagle in ms 66 YES this is also correct ....and I believe this Flying Eagle will break $100,000

The cowgirl "Showdown" will be in Doug Wright's room tonight at * P.M. D oug will be wearing only his cowboy boots and the
    girls will be judging. All proceeds will benefit the cowgirls Additional contestants may register at the PCGS booth....at the "Showdown"

Stewart
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only wish I could have been there, but can't afford to fly to CA.
    Will be looking forward to the 2004 ANA in Pittsburgh PA. Hope PCGS will have something there.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Lucy has much to learn about the Indian Head series, but wishes to congratulate all three owners on their three AWESOME, JAW-DROPPING, and very COOL, sets! These were way far-out and the HepKitty was mesmerized by the beauty of these sets!!!! Can Lucy pick a winner? Well, all three are winners daddy-o! Thanks for allowing us to view them!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Stewart not only took home the finest Indian set, he has already claimed the best cowgirl award as well . . . (see pic).

While BJ works on the next showdown, I'm going to work on another showdown too: "The Girls of Teletrade."
    Doug
  • Options
    I want to congratulate the generous collectors who made their sets available for this history-making showdown, PCGS for its generosity in providing promotion and a forum, and the "eyewitness reporters" (who hopefully will be filing follow-up reports chock-full of pics). This is truly Collectors' Universe and the collector community working together at their best.

It sounds like this was a hit from every perspective. More!!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I was looking in awe at the Stewart Blay Collection and it was great! Two coins that really stood out to me as being REALLY exceptional was the 1874 and the 1886. Both were incredibly fresh and totally untoned, just like the day they were minted. I know I'll never be able to afford one of the those, so it was really nice just to look at them. I met Mr. Blay while I was standing there looking at his coins. He is a very nice guy and really knows his indians.

Tom
    Tom