Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

It's a showdown!

As most of you know, we'll be displaying three fabulous Indian Cent collections at the Long Beach Show this week: the Stewart Blay Collection, the Ally Collection, and the Richard Collection. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time three Indian Cent sets of this magnitude have ever been displayed together. We invite you all to stop by the PCGS booth #807 and view these awesome sets. We're anxious to hear which set you feel is best and why. Meet Stewart Blay, whose set is listed as the number one current set in the Registry. Also introduce yourself to Gayle Kean, Carol Bennett, and me. We look forward to visiting with you!
BJ Searls
bsearls@collectors.com
Set Registry & Special Projects Director
PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm a little envious of those of you who will have the opportunity to see three great sets!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could be there. Sure won't miss the annoying pop-up advertising it though.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    How about a Morgan Dollar Showdown image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Morgan dollar showdown... good idea. Name the contenders!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    I would be happy to show off my Morgans..I am only # 5 or so..but I am sure Lloyd who owns the #1 and # 4 would be there.
    Let me know image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    What about a "lowdown" worlds worst set - Braddicks against any other competitors.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be going down for the LB show...any chance of seeing the coins w/o the owner hanging around?? Sure would hate to vote for the other set in front of one of them!

I'll second the notion of killing the pop-up ad!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I am sure the owners will not be hanging around.
    They will probably either have their agents bring the coins,or if they are there..trying to buy more !
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Stewart Blay will be at the show, but not at the PCGS booth 100% of the time. The other two owners unfortunately are not able to attend the show. All three sets will be out on display and you can oooh and aaah all you want. I doubt that you find much to trash these sets about!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    No---the only problem will be envy.....

Are we going to be able to vote by the coin and have you tabulate the results or just one vote for the finest set??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    The showdown is not being held for voting per se. Basically, the showdown is giving you an opportunity to view three awesome Indian Cent collections. If, after viewing the sets, you have an opinion about which set you feel is best, you are welcome to express your thoughts here on this forum. In fact, we encourage you to do so.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    BJ let me commend you folks for setting this up. I only wish you could do this at a Midwest Show too.

ps. do you really want most of us expressing an opinion on the sets? image
  • Options
    << If, after viewing the sets, you have an opinion about which set you feel is best, you are welcome to express your thoughts here on this forum. >>

Well, even though I haven't actually seen any of the sets, I'm going to say that Stewart's is the "worst" of the three. I am voting against him just in an effort to make him unhide his Lincoln set. Once completed, I will change my vote appropriately.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Geeze, I thought we were going to be issued ballots and a #2 pencil to vote with.

Will touch base with you on Thur afternoon BJ, hopefully we'll be able to share some of the coins visually here on the forum.
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    I wish I was going !!!!!

Is there any way some nice digital pictures could be taken and posted here?

I would love to see those sets !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

• Options
    kEVIN...
    go to the airport..buy a ticket....easy image
    I will even pick you up at LAX !
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    If this first showdown turns out to be popular, we will definitely consider doing showdowns at other coin shows besides Long Beach.

Paul, I'll be heading down to the show shortly for set-up and will look for you tomorrow. It will be wonderful to see images of some of the coins in these fantastic sets displayed in this forum. Thank you.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I was on the proper side of the country to see these sets. I'll bet they're beautiful. I wouldn't have any idea how to choose just one set if all three were made up of dazzling beauties.

However, I too must say that I will be glad when the popups are gone.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

The "Showdown' has begun !!!!!!! I'm here at the PCGS booth and everything looks fantastic....complete with HANDCUFFS and B.J.

All the sets look "GREAT" and you can even view the coins.....so come on down whereever you are and see three collections of Indian heads cents that could be a once in a lifetime viewing

I'm looking for everyone I've never met as I will be here through Saturday

Stewart

• Options
    Stewart,

Hope you having a great time.

How are you posting to the forum? Do you have BJ on your laptop? What are the handcuffs for?

toothpuller
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Would love to see those sets, but a couple of thousand miles and work intervenes (the better with which to buy coins with!) Everyone in attendance, please thank BJ for her tender mercies and tolerance.

Next up: Would kill to see the proof Jeff sets of Frank, BNE and Carl side by side ...
  • Options
    What ever you and BJ do with handcuffs should stay off line - my kids read this stuff! .imageimageimage

See you in Long Beach tomorrow
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Rick Snow has just viewed ALL the Indian Cent Sets and will be posting in the near future.

Carol "The Forum Empress" will be "All Dressed Up" tomorrow to control the crowd ........and Stewart

B.J. will be supervising all the viewing........and the handcuffs

I would like to congratulate "The Richard Collection" and the "Ally Collection" as without your coins this spectacle would not be possible

My favorite coins in the Richard Collection are the 1891 and the 1909 s

My favorite coins in the "Ally Collection are the 1885 and the 1888 and I can honestly state they are better than mine

Stewart
  • Options
    Don't believe all the rumors...only half are true image

BJ and I look forward to all of you (who can) stopping by and saying "hi"
    For those who can't make it, shame on you!

• Options
    What are you doing on line so late, Carol?
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooooooh . . . . I can't wait!

I'll be there Friday in loincloth with bow singing "10 Little Indians" and shooting arrows at Stewart until he agrees to open his Lincoln Proof Registry Set for public viewing in the Registry Sets.

Doug
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Larry,
    I wish it were that simple. image

Have fun all. Someone take pictures !!!!!!!

Kevin
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A complete write up of the showdown will be in the September issue of Longacre's Ledger, publication of the Fly-In Club.

If Paul's images are good enough, perhaps I'll put the 1877 on the cover!

I got Pic's of BJ, Carol and Stewart in front of the sets, and the sets themselves. No close-ups since all I had was a disposable Advantix camera.

Interested in joining the Fly-In Club? It's $20 per year or $35 for two. E-mail me for info.

Rick Snow
    www.indiancent.com
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site: