Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just Finished Something Fun...

I just completed, what for me, has been a very fun little set to put together.
How is this for collecting at it's most basic: a 1957 P&D year set. My birth year.

My object was to put together a set of coins based solely on pure eye-appeal to me. Not grade. So the grades in the set run from 64 to 67. One of Franklins is FBL, one is not. The nickels are not full step. What I originally set out to do was find coins with attractive (subjective) mint set toning. For the most part I did this. The exceptions being the cents and the nickels. The cents are RD and whereas the nickels are colorfully toned, it is probable they came from an album and not a mint set.

Here is why this has been fun for me. I am a commem collector for the most part. And this little set gave me an opportunity to appreciate and enjoy five series of coins I would not normally delve into. Lincoln cents, Jeffersons, Roosevelts, Washingtons and Franklins. I think I learned something about all of them, and can understand better what those who are dedicated to these series appreciate in them.

Now, when I say I've completed this set, I'm sure that is not true. Infact, I have plans to down grade one of the coins I currently have, for another I have seen with more original mint set toning.
Here is another great thing about the set: only one coin did I pay over $100.00 for, and that's the one I want to down grade.

So to sum up: it was fun, educational, and affordable. Some might ask why didn't you just go out and buy a mint set, but that would have robbed me of the fun of hunting and gathering. I would recommend it to anyone.
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    Neat concept, Clankeye. I was looking for an interesting next project while waiting to find the right upgrades for some key dates in other sets. You've provided a great idea and since I was born in 1948 it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg either.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    RLinn--
    Seriously, I can't tell you how much of a fun diversion this was for me. I heartily recommend it to anyone.
    Carl
  • Options
    Clankeye - great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. My problem is, as much as I'd love to own them, I simply can't afford those coins from 1796 image
  • Options
    Mark---
    I had heard when you were born Mark, the barter system was still firmly in place. And since no one is slabbing poultry yet, or goats, you may be out of luck on this fine, affordable way to collect. (smile)
  • Options
    Carl,

I think you are only partly correct when you say "And since no one is slabbing poultry yet, or goats, you may be out of luck on this fine, affordable way to collect. (smile)" Maybe no poultry or goats have been slabbed yet but I have seen plenty of dogs and pigs in holders out there.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file