Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I passed on a coin this past Sunday at a local show

Ms/67 Texas commem. graded by NGC with some real attractive rim toning. Dealer wanted $495, which seemed a little steep. The coin was very attractive, with the problem being I didn't agree with the assigned grade, so now it left me with do I think this coin, regardless of grade, was worth $500 bucks. I sat there for approx. 5 minutes with a little small talk with the dealer in between staring at the coin, but ended up passing on this particular coin. I bought three others from the dealer, but couldn't get myself to commit to the darn thing. Now I have to figure out how long this coin is going to "haunt" me image If I thought it was "there", as far as the grade was concerned, I may have bit at it, but after looking at the coin for soo long, I figured my gut better make the decision.
The dealer was laughing with me on the coin, as he said he did the same thing when he bought it. Couldn't make up his mind, but he finally bit the bullet.
The show seemed as if it was going ok. Nothing crazy, but not slow. Not as upbeat as normal, but that could have just been my take on things. I bought a ton of stuff. image
BigD5
LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff

Comments

• Options
    I want to respond to this as an example tied to the other thread "What do you expect out of your Thread?" As I am responding to BigD5 there are currently no other responses. An unsuccessful thread? Hardly. This is the kind of thread I would read and maybe not respond to at all. But, be very glad it was posted and enjoy that BidD5 shared it with us. It doesn't really require any response. So, ultimately the number of people that post to it will not reflect the worth of the thread. People are out there reading. More than we think. And I for one enjoy when someone shares an experience like this with us.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    So were you buying the grade on the holder or the COIN? I take it to mean you thought neither was worth $500. Don't worry, it isn't the only one in the world and you will find another. Same thing happens to me and I soon get over it and find something else.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I wouldn't beat myself up too much on this coin. A Texas in 67 isn't that rare and you will see more. You might even find one you like better. If it really knocked your socks off you would have bought it. Who knows--if you bought it you might be even more unhappy. The coins that bug me are the ones I pass on that I'll never see again.
  • Options
    If its still haunting you you should have bought it. I almost did the same thing with my Benson 1799 PCGS AU50 Bust Dollar. Now I'm glad I bought it. Contact the dealer and buy the damn thing.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Anaconda has a nicer one image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I second what Clankeye said--I like hearing other people's stories about their coin-buying experiences, how they come to a decision, etc.

For me, there are two types of coins at shows--the ones that are exactly what I want, and the ones that I need to think about. The ones that are exactly what I want aren't really a decision--the only job is to try to get a fair price. The ones that I need to think about are tougher.

At a show in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago, I saw a SLQ in someone's case that looked like a gem, white, nearly full head, a date I need. The seller was on break. I had to resist getting on the PA system to tell that seller to get back to his table and sell me that coin. (But I don't want to give away my poker face completely. So I tried not to dance around too much when he came back.) Anyway, I snapped it up.

A little later, I found a gorgeous $20 Lib. in an MS62 slab that would have fit great into my gold type set. The seller said it was previously in a 63 slab and he tried to get it upgraded, and it came back a 62. He might actually have been telling the truth. It had great luster and few marks. I had to think about it because I hadn't really come looking for gold. I came back a few minutes later to see a guy laying some $100 bills on the glass to pay for it. Oh well. You can't buy 'em all.

Anyway, if it's a coin I really want, I try to grab it immediately. But if I have to think about it, especially with SLQs, it's probably okay to let it go. And if I miss a good one while I'm thinking about it--it's a learning experience.
    I swear I won't start collecting any more new sets this month.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I'm sure Anaconda has a nicer one

he does, i've been looking at it all week...

Kickarse Texas Commem
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    My first impression was that the coin was not a 67, but attractive, nonetheless. I just tried to talk myself into believing the coin, regardless of the grade, was worth the $500 or so. I started to think along the lines of TheNumish, in that the Texas is plentiful with eye appeal, this one was better than average with pretty rim color. If it was a different coin with that look, I probably would have scooped it up.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you've got me curious- what, in your opinion, kept it away from the lofty grade of MS67? Too many marks? Strike? Luster?

peacockcoins

• Options
    I've done the same thing but figure if I passed on a particular coin, chances are there's a nicer one out there. I hate it when I do make up mind to go back and purchase a coin and the guy ahead of me is looking at it (and usually buys it). I've lost a few by hesitating but over-all it's best to pass if you're not sure. It's still a lot of fun even if you miss a few good buys. And hind-sight is 20/20.
    careful- that light at the end of the tunnel might be a freight train!
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Too many marks. Eye appeal was excellent. Luster was above average, although not excellent. Just too many marks in my opinion.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file