Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is pedigree important to you?

I see a lot of pedigree coins in the auctions. Is pedigree important to you? Does owning something that a famous (or not so famous) numismatist owned special to you or do you like the fact that you can trace where a coin has been? This doesn't seem to be the same thing as wondering who might have spent an early issue circulated coin. Do you place any additional value on a coin due to pedigree? You know, buy the coin or buy the previous owner.
Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I wouldn't place any additional value on a coin that Eliasberg or anyone else had just because it was their coin, I would expect to pay a premium because some of these people are well known as having had some of the best known examples ever. Just because they would probably be the best is reason enough to expect to pay top dollar, not the lineage.

It probably don't work that way thoughimage
  • Options
    No, many coins were probably owned by someone notable but were sold without fan fare so the pedigree never stuck. Too me a coin is a coin and I don't care who owned it before I am only concerned with who owns it now (hopefully me!!!)
  • Options
    Not in the least.

Scott M
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    I find the pedigree interesting. I find it amazing when Shylock or some other observant person can state where a particular coin has been.

If you knew that a particular collector had a special eye for PQ coins or enjoyed the same toning as you or seemed to come up with super deep cameo contrast examples wouldn't you like to buy coins that he had owned?

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    No, and when I see common date low grade MS Morgans in slabs with Bass's name on them, I wonder why he bothered to get them slabbed. Additionally,
    IMO Binion pedigreed slabs should sell for a discount.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Not really
    J'har
  • Options
    Not really. I think some of the big names in numismatics are pretty cool to have (such as Eliasberg), but others don't matter. I see a lot of Morgan Dollars with names like Jack Lee and Miller (? I believe those are right?); but then I see pedigrees like NFL Set. I don't collect Morgans, but I don't want "NFL Set" on my slab. Maybe my view will change as I become more familiar with these collections and collectors.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple fairly inexpensive coins that I bought just for the Pedigree. If it was a high end coin, the pedigree would not matter, I would only consider the coin. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, and when I see common date low grade MS Morgans in slabs with Bass's name on them, I wonder why he bothered to get them slabbed. Additionally,
    IMO Binion pedigreed slabs should sell for a discount. >>

Bass didn't have them holdered. Neither did Eliasberg, Miller, Binion .... Usually after the sale of these collections they get into holders with their name.

Does anyone remember how much common 40% silver Kennedies sold for at the Jackie sale?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliasberg, Pittman, Brand, Norweb, Bass...YES! Maybe a modest premium.

Spooly, Dog97, Braddick, Iwog, FoundingFather...NO! I'd want a discount!

imageimageimageimage
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    No. In fact I would pay less for most pedigrees since I would have to pay to have them reslabbed without the pedigree. If the pedigree were from a famous collection then I would keep it only for the added value. However, 99% of the pedigrees out there are meaningless. Why do I care that Billy Bob had a top 5 registry set and got his name put on the slab?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't pay a premium for a pedigree to one of the famous collections, but I certainly like to know what it is! I enjoy tracing my coins back to their roots.
  • Options
    Pedigree are silly. Do I really care someone "famous" had the same coin umpteen years ago?

I avoid such coins unless they are a must for my collection, then I would have them reslabbed.

Sadly, this is a bit of marketing by PCGS as they figure many with big ego will want their registry set pedigreed and the new buyers will reslab to get rid of it......and the cycle continues!

Just say NO to Pedigrees!
  • Options
    I agree with most of Tradedollarnuts comment. For me pedigree is important if it can be used to trace the coin. My Benson pedigree traces my coin back to the 1940's and verifies its originality (color) and that its been off the market since that time. I would pay a premium for this.

• Options
    I had a pedigree coin in a short set I completed. It was hands down the ugliest coin in the lot. Sold it off a long time ago. There are a lot of coins that have a pedigree I would be happy to own. But, not for the pedigree. Just for the coin.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options

<< <i>I won't pay a premium for a pedigree to one of the famous collections, but I certainly like to know what it is! I enjoy tracing my coins back to their roots. >>

I agree, it would be really cool if the tag on the top of the slab had room for all the pedigree names of a particular coin. It would be part of the coin's history. Some coins have been passed from one great collection to the next, then to the next. The really great coins deserve to have a history attached.
    My Barbers
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As some have method pedigree is interesting to some especially if it helps you trace the history of a coin. I think it's an interesting aside to be able to trace the history of a coin over 50 or 100 or more years, possibily even back to the time it was issued by the Mint. The fact that a particular coin was part of a world class collection like Eliasberg or Pittman or Bass makes it (again, IMHO) an interesting conversation pieces along with the other interesting facts with respect to design, technology, historical setting, etc.

That said many of the coins from these world class collections realize significant premiums when they first become available (in the heat of well publicized, high profile auctions) but in may cases those premiums don't hold up over the long haul.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Actually, I'd pay more for a coin with my name on it image

So, if anyone has a top registry set and wants me to buy then rename your set after me and I'll pay more image

Other than that, I really wouldn't even care if it said "Jack Lee".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file