Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you expect out of your thread?

Ok, I've run the numbers and the results are in. For the last 381 posts here are the results:

- 4 or 1% had 0 responses
- 93 or 24% had 1 - 4 responses
- 94 or 25% had between 5 - 9 responses
- 108 or 29% had between 10 - 19 responses
- 72 or 19% had between 20 - 49 responses
- 9 or 2% had between 50 - 74 responses, and
- 1 response had 201 responses (this was .2625%).

So what does it all mean? What do you expect when you post a thread? What are your chances of posting a thread 100 responses long? Well, I'll tell you.

The top 3 posts in the database were (out of 1131 total posts):
- our 2nd runner up with 128 posts was "forum faces"
- our 1st runner up with 199 posts was "husbands estate"
- and our grand prize winner with a whopping 201 posts was "explain your handle"

(Note: these results are unaudited)

So if your goal is to put up a thread and get 100 posts, good luck!!!!

What do you expect ? (I'm looking for 100 posts please)

Comments

• Options
    An honest and informative answer.Amount of replies don't matter as long as my answer is there.
  • Options
    Gathering those statistics alone deserves at least 1 from me image
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I take whatever I can get image
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    I'm too new to the hobby to be of much help to most people, however I'm always happy to put in my two cents (not indian image). Generally what I enjoy most is reading (lurking image) and learning from what others on the board have to say!
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    I'm with you Agflyer image
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    Wow, talking about ourselves on two threads and making a good yarn into a mystery-game won out. I suppose there were things there that touched on common human experience and cut across our niche interests.

I'll bet that "talk to a grader" thread has potential.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    If I start a thread with a specific question, I expect my question to get answered. And in most cases it has. Some with only one response, others with 5-10 responses.

Other threads that start with ideas that may be controversial, or "poll" like questions (ie. what is your favorite coin) can have a lot more responses. If everybody can answer it, then of course it will have more responses.

At most I expect 30 or so posts for whatever I put up. 100+ posts are out of my league at this time.

BTW good data. You can be the "Official Forum Statistician"image
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    I'll post to that!imageimage

My Barbers
  • Options
    Usually when I post a thread, I am hoping for 69 or 70 replies, but since this is the PCGS forum, I haven't gotten 70 for at least a couple years, and now the best I can hope for is 69, but usually settle for 67 or 68 with the right designation. image
  • Options
    jtryka....would that be in the MS or PF response threads image .....LOL
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    So you want a thread with 100 or more responses, huh?
    Ok, here's an easy way.
    Just say something off the cuff that ticks off those set registry guys.

Ray
  • Options
    Moon Landing Conspiracy!

Four Word Posts!
  • Options
    LS - you must really be bored. How long did it take to put together all of those stats?image
    "spare change? Nahhhhh...never have any...sold it all on E-bay..."
    see? My Auctions "Got any 1800's gold?"
  • Options
    I'm happy with one if it answers the question
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Just an answer to a question, or to have fun!!!!
    J'har
  • Options
    I'd be happy to have my thread go over a page!!!

(hint, hint: I just started one this morning)

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Lincoln Sence - Is this a contest to try and get the most responses

or is it a contest to see if McDonalds sells more Big

Macs than whoppers?

I try to make a statement and see where it goes

Is coin collecting a contest to see who gets the

most coins or the finest coins ?

Isn't it better to start a qualitative thread rather

than a quantitative thread ?

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart - not a contest but I notice that some really good discussion items only go for 10 responses or so. I find it curious that with the number of members we have more people don't explore some of the threads more completely. I won't give examples as that might offend someone, but the concern is that our threads are somewhat shallow (oh boy now I'm in trouble!!!!!!).

its4real - only took me 20 minutes.

Thanks for the posts.
  • Options
    LincolnSense--
    To me these boards are similiar to a newspaper. You have your Headline threads-- serious topics that deserve attention that most people read (whether they respond or not), Sports-- registry, bragging rights, Get the eBay Geek, threads, General Entertainment-- light stuff, attempts at comedy, and even a bit of the Local section--area stuff posted by homies.
    Some threads are going to win the Pulitzer, and some belong in the funny pages.
    There is a place for it all. We all skip some sections of the paper, and pay attention to others. People are like that with threads. They pick and chose what interests them. One thing I know is that the threads are read by a lot more people than actual responses indicate. And the number of responses can be artificially inflated due to a couple members going off on some cross talk tangent. Which is just the way it is.
    What do I want out of a thread? Depends. I have posted to amuse. I have posted to get a question asked. I have posted to try to send a message. I would like to think that I don't waste people's time when I post a thread. But, ultimately what you accomplish or get out of one is not like a sporting event that can be summed up with a final number.

Edit: forgot to say there is certainly a Business section here, and the BST boards works as the classifieds.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement with smprfi - as many as it takes to answer a reasonable question.

As far as discussion: well, after being a forum member for about 2 years or so, many of the topics have been touched on at one time or another, several times threads just go haywire, but predominantly (for me anyway) after so many trolls and/or troll-like threads OR the mightier than thou posters, I just reserve comment for primarily factual responses and those that mostly deal with the futherance of disseminating and gathering educational information that is collector oriented.

I grant you that I have an ocassional emotional outburst, but as ol' Jack Webb used to say, "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts." image
    Gilbert
  • Options
    The number of responses a post gets depends on how many people feel they can add to the conversation without simply repeating something that was already said earlier in the thread.

Debatable (and numismatically worthy) topics often run their course after 20 or so responses because even though we all have an opinion on "Toned vs. White" and "PCGS vs. NGC", etc. by the time there are a dozen responses on each side of the issue, what more can someone offer that hasn't already been said?

On the other hand, threads like "explain your handle" (which probably belongs in the Open Forum) or "forum faces" can be added to for as long as there are new members (or old ones) willing to add their 2 cents to the topic. The 202nd post in the "explain" thread will most likely be just as unique as the 2nd one.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Clank- Good response. Very accurate and perceptive view of the structure of the Forum threads.
    You have an excellent command of the language and a most precise way of expressing
    your thoughts. I always enjoy seeing your comments. They are always worthy of the time
    spent reading them. Regards Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    This is # 25 you are almost there or on your way to a 100 image
    i concur with most statements,as long as the thread is answered,GREAT,sometimes i wished it was just 1 answer(the correct answer) instead of 100 opinions,if this happens to my question(100 opinion answers) then im no better off than when i posted the question............does anyone concur???

p/s i put another question in to help you obtain a 100 reply post image
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Posting with the potential number of responses in mind involves a formula which I'm not interested in. I post simply to share something I find interesting, and if even one forum member gets something out of it I'm happy.

Two formulas always work here if quantity is your aim:

1.) Make a general, well thought out inquiry about some aspect of collecting that everyone can relate to and has an opinion about.

2.) Make a bold statement that you know will get member's blood boiling.
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I am always hoping that my thread will be used with a needle to repair my clothes.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    You really have too much time on your hands. I think you need a hobby.

May I suggest..coin collecting? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file