Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got the last $20 gold I needed. Type 1

Hi Guys,

Now I have all 4 $20 golds. One thing I don't understand though is why this didn't get any bids. I was the only bidder. I wanted an AU for $700. My bid was $655 (Greysheet). Why didn't this get more bids though? It does look as if NGC might have overgraded this coin as I would say it looks more like an XF than an AU, I'll see when it gets here. Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think. There is a return policy. I'll have to weigh that against waiting for another opportunity to get this coin. Then again, is an XF graded as an AU by NGC worth $655? An XF is $525 Greysheet. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Comments

• Options
    OOPS! Forgot to add the link.Auction I won
  • Options
    Looks like a low grade AU. Good purchase, and hopefully the coin will look as good in the photo.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Looks like a decent coin. If you like it when you see it don't worry about the price, its well within reason.
  • Options
    Congrats! It looks pretty descent for the price. I have found that type 1 double eagles really don't do well on eBay, so that might explain the lack of bids. I can't tell you how many Central America and Brother Jonathan coins I've seen on eBay, and not a one has hit the reserve. I am actually saving up all my state quarters and sacagaweas to get me one of those. Very beautiful, and worth every penny!

PS-Forgot to mention, 1853 is a pretty common date too, but it still looks like a good deal! Also, don't be so harsh in jusdging the grade till you see it, Type 1s are a completely different series for grading than Type 3s and even Type 2s but to a lesser extent.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks quite nice.

Basic question -- who are Park Avenue Numismatists -- they have a massive inventory of rare coins! Can anyone provide information about them?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, I feel real good about this now.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks quite nice.

Basic question -- who are Park Avenue Numismatists -- they have a massive inventory of rare coins! Can anyone provide information about them? >>

OOOOKAY? Anybody know them? Feedback looks OK. Ilive in NY so have to pay the tax and guess I could find them if I have to. Anybody else ever buy from them?
  • Options
    Looks like a decent coin for a decent price. I think it would be difficult to send it back because of grading when it was pregraded by NGC. Unless it has a major problem obviously someone thought it was AU.

Coyn
  • Options
    I have dealt with them a number of times, very good outfit with quality coins. They are a little high in their inventory prices though.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about $20 Libs but is 1853 a better date? Is the date hard to find in MS? If so, this is a great coin!

I always believe it's best to buy up to the grade just before the price jumps way up. That way you get more "bang" for your "buck".

jom
  • Options
    1853 is a pretty common date with an original mintage of 1,261,326. NGC has graded 570 of them, with 66 graded AU-53 and 268 higher. The highest grade they have given is MS-63 with a population of 3. Either way, it's a very nice coin for the money.
  • Options
    Beautiful coin, xf-45/au or higher. Keeper in my opinion. Enjoy! That's one nice reverse!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    WOW! I feel really happy about this now. Thanks, Charles
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I think it's looks nice and graded fairly. image mike
  • Options
    Congrats,

You did good.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charles- Aren't their five double eagle types not counting the High Relief and Ultra High Relief Saints?
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three types of "Liberty" Double Eagles. Type 1 no motto, type 2 with motto and Twenty D, and type 3 with motto and Twenty Dollars.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pmh1- there are actually 3 Liberty double eagles and 3 Saint Gaudens double eagles which is why I am puzzled by the reference to "all 4 $20 golds"
  • Options
    Boiler, I think that some collectors tend to lump all Saints into a single category, thus the 4 types. Technically you are correct, there are 3 types of Saints, the HR, NM and Motto types. I tend to view the HR as an optional type for those who do not have the resources to trade in a car for a single coin, So I would go with the 5 types.
  • Options
    So, I guess I have to get that Motto Saint. Forget about the HR. Don't have that kind of money. Thanks for the info.

Charles
  • Options
    Charles, If I can offer a bit of advice on the motto saint, you could buy a common date from the 1920s, and that would be fine. However, I would advise against this, and instead encourage you to buy a pre 1920 coin as they are much more desireable and marketable, but do not cost a great deal more. For example, right now Heritage has 1927 Saints in MS-63 for $450, but you could buy a 1911-D in MS-63 for $520 (only $70 more) or a 1915-S for $535 (only $85 more), but the latter two are much better dates than a 1927, and offer better future potential in my opinion.
  • Options
    My two cents on Park Avenue Numismatics....

I bought a few coins from them a while back and they were fairly priced, not cheap but not expensive for what I was buying.

When they came in what a disappointment, every single one of them. They were all [4 of them] low end for the grades assigned. All weak strikes or spotted. Of course none of this is mentioned in the description.

I could have returned them and eat almost $40 in fees and wait 3-4 weeks for a refund check to clear and all. Instead, I simply listed them on ebay and they sold quickly. I did point out the weak strikes and placed LARGE images. I was out total $1oo after everything was said and done.

They will never get my business again. I am always puzzled why there are so many short sighted dealers out there. Why screw over a buyer if you don't know if he/she will buy many more times? Why not create a long term relationship and give a full disclosure?

My 2cents on PAM.
  • Options
    Thanks jt, that sounds like good advice.

Desert Lizard, were those coins certified by PCGS or NGC? Don't they have a grade review policy and make things right if they grossly overgrade? Or am I dreamin?

Charles
  • Options
    Nice Lib Charles. I think the guys hit the nail on the head with the coin. Common date could be one reason, plus I think the coin lacks luster compared to some around that date. I personally like all of my gold coins to have nice luster, but being a low grade AU I can understand this. Anyway, not a bad coin for the money--I hope it looks nice.

As far as the Saints (motto, no motto) I collect variations for each year (ie: 1908 motto, 1908 no motto) Also, I like first year issues. I'm looking for a nice 1907 Saint in MS. For some reason I like collecting variations for same year coins, the 1908 Saints with motto aren't too much more than the more common 20's. But the teens are also more scarce and not a bad way to go for motto type (as suggested by Jtryka). Either way, get that motto Saintimageimageimageimageimage

-Hunter
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!
  • Options
    Received the coin the on Saturday and I'm pleased. I have a NGC type 2 that grades AU-55 and comparing the two, it looks consistant to the grade. Actually, it has nicer eye appeal than my type 2. It's a keeper.

Charles
  • Options
    Glad to hear that this was a keeper! I saw some T1s this weekend, but I passed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file