Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buddy Ebsen Collection

As I recall Buddy Ebsen [Jed Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies] was a prolific coin collector. Are any of the Ebsen coins still around? Does anyone recall what he specialized in?

Comments

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was Walkers but I might be confusing him with Chris Shenkel (the ABC annoucer). Superior sold Ebsen's collection in the late 80s.

jom
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall his collection being sold at a Superior auction, perhaps in the 1980's. I don't remember what area of numismatics he specialized in. Every once in a while apiece is offered for sale at auction noting the Ebson pedigree. Perhaps you could do some searches on E-bay occasionally and find some of his coins for sale.

At the time of the sale, I believe Ira and Larry Goldberg were still principals in Superior. So, undoubtedly they could provide you with more information. Also, I'm sure one of the forum members has the Ebson catalogue, and you'll probably hear from them shortly.
  • Options
    I remember that sale, if memory serves me it was 1986. He had a wide range of pieces from many different series, I have the catalog around here somewhere but it is probably still packed away in a box. The Goldberg's were still in charge of superior when the sale took place.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weehhhhllllllll doggies! That sale was in June of 1987, Superior Pre-Long Beach Sale.
    Doug
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember going through that catalogue and being amazed at the number of high quality 19th century type pieces he had.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Yes, Buddy Ebsen had a very impressive collection indeed. Many very high quality type pieces and also many high quality gold coins including a high grade Stella or two if I remember correctly. The Ebsen sale drew a lot of attention back in the mid 80s, and rightfully so.

Dragon
  • Options
    I don't think he's dead yet.
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If Mr Epsen is still alive, do you think he will be pi$$ed at us refering to him as deceased?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    He is 94 yrs. old!!!

Read about his film career here.

Ebsen Career
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    There was topic here about the Ebsen collection a long ways back Jethro. Coinfacts.com has two of his coins in their archive (1839 1/4 Eagle, 1855-S 3 Dollar).
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    "Superior Galleries "The Buddy Ebsen Collection" May 31, June 1, 2, 1987. The sale included 3211 lots that realized a total of $7,669,691.81 (including the 10% buyers fee). The top grossing coin was an 1879 Coiled Hair Stella (lot 2444) which realized $165,000. He had an amazing collection of Gold and Type, both. Most of his silver type coins came with great original toning."

Dem dare gold in dem hills.
  • Options
    STOCKFORDSTOCKFORD Posts: 1,328 ✭✭
    sale was in 1987 and I bought a $4 stella gold piece
    LOOKING FOR FULL STEP JEFFERSON NICKELS PCGS OR NGC
  • Options
    I remember the sale. He had some killer original roles of CH BU Lincolns and raw lincolns, all pre 1920's, pristine, better dates. From the forward in the catalog, he had just married a lady half his age and had to sell off his coins to support her "habit" for travelling. I'm sure all the money garnered was spent on the first vacation.

TRimageTH
  • Options
    I do remember a thread a long way back on his collection because there were quite a few auctions of some of his collection being sold on e-bay coincidentaly at the same time. I beleive that many of the pieces have now been pedigreed into PCGS slabs. It contained, from what I have heard, some of the nicest deep red 2 cent pieces that are out there.
    Jared

Must end life...in classic Lorne Green pose...from 'Battlestar Galactica'...best...death...ever!"

-Comic Book Guy
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a coincidence. I recently bought four of his personal checks signed by him, one of which was for hearing aids.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 8:23PM

@Broadstruck said:
    @Zoins thanks as I've been patiently waiting 17 years for an additional post on this thread :)

No prob :) I'm fascinated by pedigrees!

• Options
    edited May 3, 2019 9:29PM

A few people mentioned his Stellas. This Buddy Ebsen Coiled Hair Stella is now owned by Dell Loy Hansen.

1879 $4 Stella, Coiled Hair, PR66 CAM pop 1/3/2 (ca) pop 9/2/3 (all) Garrett-Ebsen-Holecek-Hansen specimen

Bangs & Co., 1/1882 - T. Harrison Garrett Collection - Robert Garrett Collection - John Work Garrett Collection - Johns Hopkins University - Bowers & Ruddy 11/1979:431 - Superior “Auction ‘80” 8/1980:385 - Buddy Ebsen Collection - Superior 5/1987:2444 - Holecek Family Trust - Stack's 10/2000:1623, $310,500 - Heritage 1/2014:5405, $85,1875

• Options
    edited May 3, 2019 10:10PM

1850 Seated Liberty Dollar PCGS MS64 pop 213/2/0, Ebsen-Morelan-Hansen specimen

This dollar was in @tradedollarnut's collection, who has a nice description in his Registry Set, which I'm glad is still around. It's now in Hansen's collection.

Here are Bruce's comments:

The Buddy Ebsen specimen - slightly finer than the other graded at this level. Completely original and very prooflike. Marvelous electric blue toning compliments areas of brown. Very sharply struck.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 9:26PM

He was a very nice man. He was originally cast in the Wizard of Oz. As the Tin Man. I think? Something about being allergic to the make-up caused him to drop out of the roll. I could be wrong. Either way he was a very good and common sort of man, regardless of his fame. R.I.P.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2019 9:26PM

@Hydrant said:
    He was a very nice man. He was originally cast in the Wizard of Oz. As the Tin Man. I think? Something about being allergic to the make-up caused him to drop out of the roll. I could be wrong. Either way he was a very nice and common sort of man, regardless of his fame. R.I.P.

Very interesting. Here's some info from Wikipedia which confirms him dropping out of the Wizard of Oz due to being allergic to aluminum dust in the makeup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Ebsen

Buddy Ebsen, (born Christian Ludolf Ebsen Jr.,[1] April 2, 1908 – July 6, 2003; also known as Frank "Buddy" Ebsen[2]) was an American actor and dancer whose career spanned seven decades. His most famous role was as Jed Clampett in the CBS television sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies (1962–1971); afterwards he starred as the title character in the television detective drama Barnaby Jones (1973–1980).[3]

Originally a dancer, Ebsen began his career in Broadway Melody of 1936. He also appeared as a dancer with child star Shirley Temple in Captain January (1936). Ebsen was the original choice for the role of the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz, but fell ill due to the aluminum dust in his makeup and was forced to drop out. He appeared with Maureen O'Hara in They Met in Argentina (1941) and June Havoc in Sing Your Worries Away (1942). In Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), he portrayed Doc Golightly, the much older husband of Audrey Hepburn's character. Before his starring role in The Beverly Hillbillies, Ebsen had a successful television career, the highlight of which was his role as Davy Crockett's sidekick, George Russell, in Walt Disney's Davy Crockett miniseries (1953–54).

• Options
    edited May 3, 2019 10:38PM

Here's another silver piece that PCGS recognizes with the Ebsen pedigree:

1874-CC Dime PCGS MS63 pop 56/3/0 Ebsen-Gardner specimen

1987 Ebsen Catalog Description:

FINEST KNOWN 1874-CC DIME

An absolutely awesome coin and in this grade, a legendary rarity. Mostly well struck, some slight weakness in Liberty's hair but the surfaces are ablaze with frosty mint lustre and are fully prooflike. Delicately toned with faded light violet. This is a high Rarity-7 with less than a dozen known specimens in all grades. Not only is this coin Choice Brilliant Uncirculated but to the best of our knowledge, this is the only Mint State example known to exist. This is the lowest minted Carson City Dime, only 10,817 were struck. Unpriced in the Guide Book, with the Extremely Fine 40 grade listed at $3250. We expect some spirited bidding among Dime and Carson City enthusiasts and would not be surprised if this important Dime reached well into the five figures. ($15,000-UP)

Eugene Herr Gardner Sr. Commentary:

just do not know enough superlatives to do justice to the description of this coin. Perhaps the Superior catalog from which it was purchased summed it up best with just a few words, "a legendary rarity." Only four Mint State coins have been graded, and this coin from the Ebsen Collection at MS63 is the finest. There are three other MS62s ranked right behind it. The 1874-CC is ranked High R.7 by Fortin and Greer in Mint State. Fortin terms it the "key date to the series." All this is bundled together along with remarkable toning, a reflective, prooflike surface, excellent strike, and a strong provenance. Enough said. I could continue to rhapsodize forever and still not fully express my feelings about this coin.

The pops were much lower in 2014 during the Gardner Sale. PCGS pops have gone from 1/0 to 3/0. NGC pops have gone from 0/0 to 0/1 (MS64).

Population Data (7/14): PCGS shows two MS62 and one MS63, the present coin, sole finest at that service. NGC shows only a single MS62 example.

Here's the slab:

• Options
    edited May 3, 2019 10:58PM

Buddy Ebson's favorite coin was his territorial slug:

Famous actor and collector Buddy Ebsen once stated that the favorite piece in his collection was an abraded Fifty Dollar slug, because he imagined all of the places where it was spent in the old west.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I recall, > @tradedollarnut said:

FWIW - many of the best coins in that catalog were consigned by a coin dealer (Lipton?) who had just bought an old time dealer’s stock (Wormser?)

The seated dollars were most certainly part of that deal. The 1852 is also in my old set

That is my understanding regarding Kevin Lipton.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some beautiful coins in that collection....That gold 1861 3 dollar piece is spectacular. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the 1874-cc dime, it was from ebsen, then gardner, one of the finest known.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember hearing that he felt that his greatest personal career disappointment was his failure to keep that role as the 'tin man'. He was quite the dancer and would have been a fine tin man. Not that there was anything wrong with Jack Haley.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember sitting a couple of seats from him at a Superior auction in the late 70s. He was buying coins I could only dream of owning on my limited budget.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    edited May 4, 2019 7:45AM

@jdimmick said:
    I remember the 1874-cc dime, it was from ebsen, then gardner, one of the finest known.

It was the finest known in 2014 during the Gardner sale. Now there are 2 others at the same grade at PCGS and 1 higher at NGC.

• Options

Here is Buddy Ebsen buying hearing aids in 1986, no doubt so he could hear the bidding at his coin auction the following year. He signed the check with his real name Christian.

The portion of the check showing underneath is from 1938 when he signed with Buddy.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2019 8:20AM

BTW, this has to be among the best of old resurrected threads.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright ! New rules ................You got to declare the headline an UPDATE man oh man! I ran to the mirror to see if I was still alive when I read that post > @DesertLizard said:

He is 94 yrs. old!!!

Read about his film career here.

Ebsen Career

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Hydrant said:
    He was a very nice man. He was originally cast in the Wizard of Oz. As the Tin Man. I think? Something about being allergic to the make-up caused him to drop out of the roll. I could be wrong. Either way he was a very nice and common sort of man, regardless of his fame. R.I.P.

Very interesting. Here's some info from Wikipedia which confirms him dropping out of the Wizard of Oz due to being allergic to aluminum dust in the makeup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Ebsen

Buddy Ebsen, (born Christian Ludolf Ebsen Jr.,[1] April 2, 1908 – July 6, 2003; also known as Frank "Buddy" Ebsen[2]) was an American actor and dancer whose career spanned seven decades. His most famous role was as Jed Clampett in the CBS television sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies (1962–1971); afterwards he starred as the title character in the television detective drama Barnaby Jones (1973–1980).[3]

Originally a dancer, Ebsen began his career in Broadway Melody of 1936. He also appeared as a dancer with child star Shirley Temple in Captain January (1936). Ebsen was the original choice for the role of the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz, but fell ill due to the aluminum dust in his makeup and was forced to drop out. He appeared with Maureen O'Hara in They Met in Argentina (1941) and June Havoc in Sing Your Worries Away (1942). In Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), he portrayed Doc Golightly, the much older husband of Audrey Hepburn's character. Before his starring role in The Beverly Hillbillies, Ebsen had a successful television career, the highlight of which was his role as Davy Crockett's sidekick, George Russell, in Walt Disney's Davy Crockett miniseries (1953–54).

Can't forget his TV show Barnaby Jones. Also appearances on Andy Griffith and Twilight Zone shows.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sale was on fire! :)
    Joel Rettew was spending Iraj Sayah's money. Whew :#_ Yeah baby ! and we all wear suit jackets too _

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't realize he died in 2003.

Just makes me feel older that dirt.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 4:21PM

Buddy Ebsen sale was one of the most important auction sales of the later 1980's. One of the first to be populated with quite a few slabs....in "to die for" grades." After that sale I must have lusted over that catalog a dozen times over the next 10-15 yrs. Raw coins still outnumbered slabbed coin auctions well into the 1990's.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey RR where have you been.......
    I'm glad Uncle Jed lured you out of retirement......

Welcome back !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file