Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not that it matters but I'm done here

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've tried to be decent, polite etc. I've given some good input to a few people. From my 20+ years in coins thought maybe I could share and give some good advice.

It is evident I'm not one of the click, And have never tried to be.

I haven't acted like a hot shot on here or anything else.

Sometimes I've asked a question that I understand it's hard to help with. But when I ask the most simple question like how do I post a scan, and plenty people here know this and no response but 1. And that response was nice.

Now FLAME me if thats what you like to do best. I have made sure I never got into these.

I don't care to waste my time trying and just get ignored.

But you know what? I'll hold my head up as there are a lot of aspects to coins that I could have been a big help to some.

And as far as I'm concerned it's your loss. Not everybody as I 've had some good people that I've communicated with.

So if you want to flame me go for it. I will not respond at all.

Or ignore this as usual.

Stman

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    stman I have enjoyed your posts.
    If you change you mind come back.

I would have helped you with how to post a picture but I must have missed the post image

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I'm new hear and i will need your help some day PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!!!!!image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Stman,

Sorry I missed your thread about posting a scan. I'd have been happy to help if I'd seen it. I know little about coins, but plenty about using forums and the web.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    message boards can be FRUSTRATING!!!

Keep coming and reading the stuff you're interested in. Don't cut off your arm because you don't like the ring on your finger.. hey.. i just made up a saying.

Many people read posts and rather than say "I Don't know" they just don't respond. Don't think you've been ignored by everyone, you just haven't been read by the right person.

good luck coin hunting,

tom

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused by your post; if you want to leave because you are being ignored then leave. Why the announcement? Seems to me like you want pity, perhaps I'm wrong. I see you have been a member since May so you will, no doubt, recognize my user name and realize that I try to tell the truth. Therefore, take this as my true reading of the thread and not a flame as it isn't meant to be a flame on you. If you intend to stop posting but continue to read then it is the Board's collective loss, as you suggest, but if you intend to leave entirely then it is, rest assured, your greater loss and not that of the Board. I'm sorry you feel this way but thought that I, too, would voice my opinion in your thread.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Dont go, i have been ignored plenty because im new and ask newbie questions, but im still hear because even if it does piss me off i still learn things i cant learn anywhere else. i think u need a couple thousand posts to get ur questions answered i only need a couple thousand more image
  • Options
    Stman:
    I'm a newbie on this forum but have been collecting for 30+ years. I am not an expert and have come here seeking advise and knowledge on grading and have received alot of both. In my brief time here, I have found that, like the face to face world, you have ALL kinds of people. Having been in the computer and networking business since before most of the people on these forums even knew there was an internet, I can tell you from first hand experience, that online communication is mostly dull and impersonal and lacking any type of substance. Most peoples intentions are well and good, but because of the faceless communications, it makes it even harder to have good online communications, especially since most people can't even type!!! Anyway, don't be so hesitant on your reactions to the no response treatment....I have had the same and I don't take it personally....It's just the communication format of the internet and it CAN seem cruel and impersonal. Hang in there image
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will reply even though I said I would not just to clarify.

It's not just the post from today. It's almost all the time. Now I'm not crying in my beer or anything as I don't drink.

But even today, how many people on this board today know how to post a picture?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Found your thread and popped some info in.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I do

--------T O M---------

• Options
    Stman, I wish you would change your mind. Being new here I too at times have felt ignored, but like was mentioned in an earlier post above maybe the right person didn't see your question. Other times I have gotten good resonses to my questions. I saw your post but I don,t know how to post pictures here on the board , but I do know how to post them to your own webspace if you have some, I can help. We need all kinds of help here, when the more known members are busy. Please reconsider for us newcomers. thanks rick
  • Options
    Well here's a pic. No, it's not a beautiful coin, just a really good looking dude!!! No, not the old man on the right, (that's my POP, the one who got me into this coin collecting madness!!!), that's me on the left image

Link
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Do as you wish... there is no shortage of members here. We will go on with or without you. To me knowledgeable members are always welcome, as are people without the least knowledge of coins, as long as they want to learn.

I saw your thread. I didn't open it. The title implied to me you had questions on a specific scanner, and possibly needed help getting it going. I figured unless I owned the same scanner, I would be of no help. I wasn't trying to ignore anyone. Had the title been "What scanner do you recommend", I bet you would have had 20 replies in a few hours.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stman: You just have to be patient. I don't really think anyone ignores your posts. The problem was you didn't ask about one of the more "important" topics: Grading, toning, grading, PCGS, modern vs classic and, oh, did I mention grading? lol

Seriously, like I said just be patient and do a "to the top" (ttt) every once in a while so people will see the thread. Don't leave....it's a pretty good place to get/give info!

jom
  • Options
    well I'll miss you stman, and I'm sorry to see you leave. If you won't reconsider, I'll respect that, but if you ever decide to return, please look me up.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stman:
      Sometimes silence is Golden.

Jom replied to your post with a link to a thread explaining the Photo procedures he found out about. Many other Forumn members also responded on that thread for everyones benefit. Personally I think Jom's response was sufficient for your request and if it was not maybe you should have PM'ed him and asked more questions. If he did not have the answers maybe he would have directed you to the correct people for the information.

Do not take this as a Flame which it is not. A lot of people just do not respond to threads that have been hashed over and over on the Forumns.

For the Forumn Members too lose your Input over something as trivial as this, it wound be a shame.

PS: I use a Camera so no help would have came from myself.
    1. Options
      I read some threads and don't read many others. I scan for certain things that are of interest to me or where I might learn something or maybe even throw in an answer. I am sure I miss threads because by the time I come back to read, even a new thread may be so far down the list that I don't even see them. I imagine a lot of people are that way. You shouldn't take it personally.
      Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
    2. Options
      cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
      It would be a shame if you leave. Especially if you leave because you feel
      shunned. I only respond if I feel I have something to add or to ask and am
      relatively confident I won't get flamed (it's tough to favor moderns around
      here). I certainly haven't ignored any of your posts, but since I open only
      about a quarter of the threads I haven't seen a lot. Consider giving it anot-
      her chance, I can't believe people are intentionally ignoring you.
      Tempus fugit.
    3. Options
      jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of people just do not respond to threads that have been hashed over and over on the Forumns >>

Really? You mean like the endless number of PCGS grading threads (ad naseum)? image

jom
    4. Options
      MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
      stman;
      I can only hope you change your mind about leaving. I, for one, will miss reading your posts. There have been many times when I too have felt ignored but then some of these members have been here for years and know each other quite well. I know how disheartening it can be to post a thread then watch it sink like a rock. There are going to be days like that.

Do us a favor and think about it for a couple of days. Chime in on a few threads now and then. You'll see. WE need members like you. And if you need something special, you can always PM me.

Thanks,
      Lee
    5. Options
      TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
      This is directed to not only you stman but everyone else who doesn't like it here. See ya. There's always another coin forum to check out somewhere down the line. I think you want to stay. If you didn't then you wouldn't have posted this elaborate send-off. Most people who really want to leave just fade off into the sunset. Hope you find your place and harmony on another forum board.
      PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
    6. Options
      Dude you posted at 2 in the afternoon and only waited 4 hours for a reply.That may seem like an appropriate amount of time to wait but you posted on a saturday when most people are not at their computers.
    7. Options
      dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
      stman,

What is this "click" you refer to and who are they?? Seriously, I have been posting here nearly as long as anyone and I am not now, nor have I ever been aware of any "click". So if there is in fact some type of "click" here, I'm obvoiusly not part of it either, nor would I want to be.

I know what you're talking about though to some extent, I too always try to give people that have questions my sincere, honest views or opinions or benefit of my experience if I feel I have something to offer them, and I hope they appreciate it, but if they don't, no big deal.

I have also tried to start educational type threads in the past regarding, toning, Morgan dollars, etc, only to hear really negative remarks from a few of the resident trolls, again, no big deal.

You should reconsider and simply ignore and/or overlook whatever is negative in these forums and focus on the positives, as there are quite a few very intelligent people here and that's what makes it all worthwhile IMO.

Dragon

8. Options
      Stman, I am new here and lurked for a long time before posting.

The people here are very helpful. It's like a big party, if you are a wall flower [like men] then you may be ignored. At some point you need to jump in and keep jumping in. Don't give up!

More is better in this forum esp. with your experience. The technology part of the internet is hair pulling esp. for an old fart like me but patience and a few forums like this one related to technology and you begin to learn things.

Hang in there!
    9. Options
      AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
      Shouldn't it be a "clique"?image
      I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
    10. Options
      STman,
      This is nothing, try this board, it is almost a 100% flame fest for asking anything;

EQ Vault Board
      Sets Complete:
      Eisenhower Dollar, BU

Set Incomplete:
      Roosevelt Dime
      1900 - Current Type, No Gold
      Silver Eagle
    11. Options
      I have seen this often times happen on the chatroom that I used to inhabit back in 1997. Many newbies complained of being ignored when they entered the chatroom. They referred to a "clique" of chatters who shunned anyone who wasn't a part of their group. Many times, others would be apologetic and say not to be so pessimistic on becoming a regular in the chatroom. They would say to keep showing up and slowly become a regular that would be the best way to become accepted. So I am sure that you are not alone in how you feel. It is like that on many Internet chatrooms.
      To go to your question about adding a photo to a message post. I think that there are several ways you can perform that task. I have read the help link on the board to add a picture to a message. Or you can add a URL link as well if the photo is too big to post. I used to try to be a helper in the chatroom that I resided a few years ago and helped a lot of newbies back then. But I have gone "cold turkey" with 12+ hours chatting now so I don't read message posts with any regularity anymore. So, my delay to your message post is due to that and not "ignoring" your question.
      Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
      For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
    12. Options
      baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
      no biggie, i'm always ignored. but that's cool - i can't enlighten most of the people in here who know tons more than i do. someday i'll be the one with the answers. i hate when someone leaves; the more input the better...

1 Tassa-slap
      2 Cam-Slams!
      1 Russ POTD!
    13. Options
      Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
      I,ll ignore this post cause no one here is in `my` click.imageimageimage

14. Options
      LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>STman, This is nothing, try this board, it is almost a 100% flame fest for asking anything; EQ Vault Board >>

This is a rather odd forum. I looked around a bit and found myself wondering if they were really using the same language as I use. sentances would begin in english, then for some odd reason, I believe they changed to something else, only to revert back at the end. It's 2:57am so maybe it was me.image
    15. Options
      1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
      Welcome to the Boards, Agflyer and IvanOnly! Even though Ivan has been here a lot longer than I have.

Stman, it would be a terrible shame if you were to leave the boards, so I implore you to please not go. I'm very new here too, but I've found the forums to be an incredible place--so educating and fun. Sometimes humiliating and frustrating, too. I too have had a lot of problems learning how to post pictures, and still encounter difficulties that I haven't resolved. Too, I feel frustrated when my threads sink like a rock. Sometimes, though, I get the info I sought in another way or in another thread that I didn't start. I guess you have to be patient, like others have said. Also, keep your expectations low, and you will be pleasantly surprised. You should also realize that very few people will open every thread (I don't have time to open but 25% of them, and I don't respond unless I think I can be helpful in some way). Try also to advertise your thread using very specific details.

We're just normal people. Stick around and you will be rewarded. Good luck.

imageimageimage
      .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    16. Options
      I'm not sure I've seen where this board has any cliques that only respond to each other's posts. That's one of the reasons I like the U.S. Coin Forum so much. Now, if you're talking about the Open Forum, that's another story! image

But, seriously, I looked back through the last 15 pages of topics, and it looks like the few times you've intiated threads, they got good responses. Maybe, it's more the frustration of this one topic (posting a scan) that has you a little more sensative. In any event, I hope you stick around. The more posters, the better image
    17. Options
      keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
      stman

i'll tell you what, it gets ME nowhere when i attempt to place blame on others for MY shortcomings without taking responsibility for MYSELF.

we've had some brief PM's together and the net result of those was YOU sending me a flamed PM because i didn't respond as quickly as you wanted me to. and then when i did respond, you ignored it and that just doesn't make sense to me when seen in the light of this thread.

perhaps if you take a different approach to your involvement here you will receive different results. who really cares how others react to your posting so long as you don't become hostile without provocation and you speak YOUR truth and experience?? open up your profile, use the PM function to get to know other members on a slightly more personal and open level, ditch the self-pity and have fun!!!!!!! of course you can leave or lurk. that seems a little self-defeating when a worthy goal should be self-improvement.

al h.image
    18. Options
      DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
      Stman,

It seems this has been a very sucessful post. Good luck collecting, and PM if I can help with a question. BTW - Threads are ignored based on title/content, not the poster. There is too much material here for most members to read/respond to it all.
      Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
      and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
    19. Options
      BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
      stman,

People ignore me all the time, but there have been enough positive repsonses to make me happy. In fact when I get on the subject of high prices for modern Registry coins I get lots of attention, much of it negative.

I too have been frustrated by that fact that I can't post pictures here. I've never been able to learn how post pictures to my storage area and then how to code them so that they will show up here. I wish there was a book I could buy with instructions, but that does note seem to exist. All my local service provider (AT&T) tells me that they provide that service to me, but their instructions consist mostly of hype about how great their service is. It's frustrating, but I think they do that on purpose so that their customers can't use it.

This board provides a picture feature, but it rarely works for me. I can't get the attachmens to work, and I can't delete picures once they are up in the file.

I've given up on the pictures and decided to do what I can to enjoy this forum in words.
      Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    20. Options
      SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
      Stman.... when you get to my post count... you look forward to being ignored!image
      Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
    21. Options
      Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
      stman,
      Before I got my new puter and found this board several years ago the last puter I ran was an IBM running DOS 1.5 in 1986 and before that my puter was one of those kind you hook the keyboard up to a tape recorder and hook it up to your TV where the rabbit ears go.
      Then I got Windows 98 with a printer & scanner.........
      I didn't know what an icon was and hell I didn't even know how to use a mouse to click on it. Of course the help files were where? Yes on my harddrive and I had to know how to operate my mouse to get into the help files to learn how to operate my mouse so I could run my pc. Boy, was I all dozy-eyed and confused like a big dumb retard.
      Sometimes there's nobody around to hold your hand and show you the easy way and you just gotta roll up your sleeves and jump in there and figure out how to do it!
      Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    22. Options
      IvanOnly i'm on Xegony, where are you?

--------T O M---------

23. Options

<< <i>no biggie, i'm always ignored. >>

Not true, baccaruda.image

This thread has actually become a fascinating read. The genesis seems to be the difficulty in using some of the technology that goes in to participating in a forum such as this; in particular posting scans.

Now, for me this type of thing is a no-brainer, something I do in my sleep without giving it even a second thought. But, then, I do technology for a living. So, in my case, uploading and linking a scan is simplicity defined when compared to this complicated and sometimes frustrating coin world.

The point of the above babble is that it has become too easy for me to see a thread asking about this stuff and think to myself "geez, come on, anybody can do that." I need, instead, to recognize that there is somebody who knows more about the majority of topics at this forum then I ever will and that, for once, there is something with which I can help.

But, I still intend to make fun of AOL users.image

Russ, NCNE
    24. Options
      Russ,

Post advice on this link. I started a thread, but it has migrated to page two. Your input would be useful.

How to upload pics
    25. Options
      EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Excuse me for sounding hard or insensitive, but I don't think we should be sucking up to STMAN just because he cried foul. It is easy for one to cry foul, but we should examine if that person really was fouled?!?

As I understand it, STMAN posted a question in this forum in the middle of the day on Saturday during Labor Day weekend. And, he feels slighted because he didn't get enough responses quickly enough. And then he decides to whine about it here.

So I have a question for the parents around here: Who of you would want to see this kind of behavior from your own children?

It makes no real difference to me if STMAN stays or leaves; this board is very well populated, and I don't think any one person matters so much to this board. He can do what he chooses, but he should be under no illusion that he's been fouled. And then fouling us back by accusing us of being clique-ish is only compounding the matter.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

26. Options
      EVP, I agree with you and with TomB's earlier post. I think this is a pretty valuable resource to throw away. I did however miss the question about posting pics the first time around, so I put up a thread about the same. I'm all for more coin pics here, so I hope this helps.
    27. Options
      EVP,

Different people react differently. From my perspective, he asked one of those few questions that crop up that I can actually help with, and I missed it. It's like this; I soak up a lot more knowledge here then I provide, so when I have a chance to actually give instead of just take, I feel disappointed in myself for not doing so.

Now, as to the complaint of being ignored, as I said everbody reacts differently. In my case, I just make sure I'm very difficult to ignore.image

Russ, NCNE
    28. Options
      BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
      Russ - Your not just diificult to ignore, your impossible to ignore. The little bear image
      There once was a place called
      Camelotimage
    29. Options
      I think he's stayin...
    30. Options
      That news makes the little bear very happy. image
      Camelotimage
    31. Options
      1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
      EV Prowler,

See, we're just bending over backwards to be extra nice. That shows what a fantastic group we are. And I agree, anyone who wants to ditch us can, and with my blessings, because they're the real losers.

imageimageimage
      .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    32. Options
      EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
      It is almost always good to be nice, but only up to a point. This reminds me of the adage: spare the rod, spoil the child. Maybe my parents were a bit on the strict side...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

33. Options
      I think he is acting like my 18 month old.

YA BIG BABY! I hope you do leave!

If I wanted to learn about dealing with brats and cry babys I would ask Dr. Phil or Oprah, or a forum that supports such nonsence!

You got lots of attention though. I hope you are happy!
      Looking for PCGS gold eagles.
    34. Options
      CK - Go find a big hole sir and crawl into it. If I may be so bold you are an IDIOT!!!!! GROWWWWLLLL.
      There are times when even the best or worst of us, may need a little kindness and attention.
      Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file