Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is NGC now in the "Flag Insert" business?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not that I think it's such a bad idea- but is NGC following PCGS's footsteps and coming up with different inserts and slab labels? I just found this one on eBay (first time I've seen it-) and although I like the insert, am curious if NGC is changing their policy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1375965940&rd=1

peacockcoins

Comments

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I like it! About time! NGC is always one step behind PCGS.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty nice to me, too.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• But you can bet that the Pro-NGC guys on this board who bash PCGS for their "games" such as Flag Inserts will not comment against NGC for doing the same thing!

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I am "Pro-NGC" and I bash them all the time! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • i like it better than PCGS'. That might have to do with the color of the slab too.

dan
    image It's Her's
  • WOW thats awesome! I want one!! are they only on the 2002 coins?

darnit... cant find anymore.. did you happen on that by mistake or did you do a specific search?

thanks
    michelle
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite eBay searches is "NGC" auctions ENDING. There is the occassional bargain. I just happen to stumble across this one using that search.
    I tried to locate others too and wasn't successful. I'm not sure what type of promotion is/was involved with this one- I just found the insert attractive and a pleasant addition to my collection (w/out the high cost outlay).

peacockcoins

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Now that is an attractive holder for that coin.
  • Pardon me while I go beat my head against a wall someplace.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    If NGC is following PCGS's footsteps it would have a 9-11 WTC coin in the slab. image I think the flag insert is fitting for an Eagle. Looks nice.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you can bet that the Pro-NGC guys on this board who bash PCGS for their "games" such as Flag Inserts will not comment against NGC for doing the same thing!

I think it is likely that the so-called pro-NGC folks just might think there's more to NGC than just gimmicks, and that there's not much more to PCGS than gimmicks. Maybe if PCGS had handled the fingerprint and booger issue better people would be more willing to overlook the gimmicks.

I think your comment an be inferred as saying that those favor NGC don't have very good reasons for favoring NGC.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• EVP,

My comments were very simple in meaning. When threads were first put on this board about PCGS putting a flag on a holder or just about anything else PCGS has tried to do, the Pro-NGC crowd comes right in and says "What will PCGS do for profit next" or something to that effect.

Personally, I don't care much for some of the games played by either company, but it doesn't seem fair to bash PCGS for making "Flag" holder and then praise NGC later for doing the same thing! Personally, I just want my coins graded properly, and both companies may have some room for improvment in this area.

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't care much for some of the games played by either company, but it doesn't seem fair to bash PCGS for making "Flag" holder and then praise NGC later for doing the same thing! Personally, I just want my coins graded properly, and both companies may have some room for improvment in this area.

I agree with you 100%, but only if you look at the cutesy holders as an isolated case. In the totality of matters that concern us about the services, we have a threshold below which we can put up with almost anything and beyond which we'll complain about everything.

I don't care much for these gimmicks (from either company), and haven't bothered to complain either. But, given how I feel about PCGS for all the other aspects, I can certainly understand why some may wish to slam PCGS for the cutsey inserts while applauding NGC for theirs.

Is it fair? No, I suppose not. But, as people who are annoyed, it's understandable to lash out when we can.

BTW, I think the real test of fairness is if the pro-NGC folks who blasted PCGS for their cutesy inserts will now say how nice the NGC ones are. Don't ascribe motive to their silence...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Anyone else able to find any? I can't find another slab insert like this anywhere.

Cameron Kiefer
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    It improves the appearance of the slab, that's for sure. Looks pretty good. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shop at home network was selling them. They claimed they were the only ones offering them.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • I don't see a "gimmick" here. They decided to make a nice patriotic looking tag. They did not "attribute" the coin in any way. No "in the pocket of a dead body" or "signed by President XYZ." This label is designed to be decorative, not to ring additional money out of the coin by attributing it to some person or event.

Please tell me you can see a difference.
  • No I don't see a difference because there have been two different PCGS flag label designs that are also just patriotic in design and merely decorative without trying to wring extra money out of the coin either.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file