Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

? on 43 War Nickel

Can someone give me a fair price range on a 1943 S MS-67 FS Nickel ? Found one for 750.00, but that seems a little steep. I know there are only about 25, but still a hefty price.

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    That's a little on the high end, but is the coin PQ for the grade? That would make a big difference. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Unless it is really high end PQ about $450.00 - $550.00 would be more like it IMO. The mintage was pretty large at 104,060,000 coins.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • You could get a nice PR 67 for half that image

-- proof type collector
  • I'd pay ten times that for any 1943 Proof 67 nickel!
  • I agree on the price range with Bill. As a point of reference, 1 sold on Teletrade 2 weeks ago for $475 with the buyers fee probably about $525.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay ten times that for any 1943 Proof 67 nickel! image

That was a good one Ken. He gotch'a on that one Carl.

$750 would be a great price to pay for a MS67 1943-S if it had an EDS (early die state strike), blinding prooflike, mark free surfaces and 6 flawless sharp steps! Rather, $750 would be a low end price for that coin I just described.

I have two lustrous high graded 1943-S ANACS MS67 5 full steppers and one ANACS MS66 43-S 5.50 stepper that sports an EDS strike and I didn't pay that much for all 3 put together.

I bought a 1944-D PCGS 67 with 6 flawless sharp steps for $400 through TT.

Sure, PCGS has graded 25 but where are they? The registry sets only show 5-6 and a couple of those
    probably jumped sets. Yea $750 is steep, so is $475 unless it was a 6 stepper. What would I pay? I won't say but in my opinion, someone out there is sitting on a few of these.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Leothelyon,
    I am trying to put together a 43, 3 mint date set. Is it my imagination or is it a lot more difficult to find these coins not just the nickels in MS-67 but mercs,walkers,quarters than other say 40,41,42,44,45 coins
    coinrookie,

That is a very broad question as it ventures into prices of very high graded denominations I know very little about other then what I collect which is FS Jeffersons. If your only means to fulfill your 1943 year set is to buy MS67 certified coins then that's what you will need to do. If you have time on your hands, let's say 5-10 years to build your set, then venturing into coin shows, meeting other collectors and dealers who share your interest, searching the numismatic perodicals, keeping pace with the highs and lows buys for certain coins for your set. There are numerous ways to complete a set. A little patience goes a long ways. The 1943 PDS Jefferson's shouldn't be too difficult to obtain. Do you intend to add the varieties? Interestingly enough and I'm back to my favorite series, a high grade PCGS MS66 full step 1943/2 Jefferson recently sold on ebay for nearly 3 grand but I was able to obtain the same coin for $1100 just 3 months ago. It resides in the older green labeled PCGS holder. It grades an easy MS66 and it sports an EDS strike on both sides and to top it off, it has 5.75 full steps. I've added some pics. Notice the separation between the lower bar on the two inside the three and you can see the lower tip of the two outside of the three. And take note of the EDS wide rim in the other picture. And also note the doubling in the word God. I could go on about this coin but then I'd be off the subject of this thread. There are very knowledgeable collectors in these forums who know a great deal more on the other high grade denominations and their prices and perhaps their availability. I can only share my experiences in how I collect. Good luck with your set.

Leo

• Leo:

Very nice 43/2. EDS are certainly worth a premium. Prior to the sale(s) over the weekend, I thought the collectible Jefferson varities were under valued. I still think some are cheap.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

• HootHoot Posts: 867
    "$750 would be a great price to pay for a MS67 1943-S if it had an EDS (early die state strike), blinding prooflike, mark free surfaces and 6 flawless sharp steps! Rather, $750 would be a low end price for that coin I just described."

Almost all PCGS graded FS nickels are less than 6 full steps. This coin is listed as "scarce" (500-2000 examples extant) in the Jefferson Nickel Analyst for 6 steps, but you will likely have to check out each coin you find and be sure it is 6-6-6-6 step configuration, unless you buy an NGC graded FS coin, in which case you are guaranteed it is 6 full steps.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • eyeeye Posts: 81
    Coinrookie:
    Your objective may take a while and is challenging. I put together a 1943 PDS set myself. My steel cents are all MS68. The S is now expensive. I bought it for $2.35 back in 1966. My 5 cents are all MS67. The stopper is the 1943 P in FS. I don't have it. My other two are FS. If you find the P in FS be ready to shell out big bucks. My 10 cents are all MS67FB. They are still reasonable. My 25 cents are all MS67. The expensive one is the D mint. My 50 cents are: P MS67, D MS66, S MS66. You can find all of these and some are in MS68 but they are expensive at that grade and the S would cost quite a lot. Happy hunting
    D.M.
    Not only are Almost all PCGS graded FS nickels are less than 6 full steps.

Almost all the Jefferson nickel dates have less then 6 full steps, for the exception of later dates, 1987
    to present.

Hoot
    You've made a good point. Although I was unaware that NGC designates 6 steps with a guarantee.

Coinrookie
    Make a note of it, scratch off 6 steppers on the 43 nickels for your set.

Locateing all the war nickels in MS67 and 6 steps would be the dream set or if you really want to feel blessed, all MS68 and 6 steps. The tides are turning for PCGS to designate 6 steps but they don't really see much of a market in it as it wouldn't generate that much action. ie; your case in point. But when they do, watch out, as someone could very easily blow away that weighted MS69 grade average set barrier. Frank, did I see your hand raise a little? It would certainly throw off the registry weighting system but then again it would make it interesting to see if a MS66 6 stepper would outweigh a MS67 5 stepper. And what about an EDS MS65 6 stepper? Would it top off a MS 67 5 stepper that had something less then a full strike but not to the point of a misnomer.

Another question for you Hoot. Are you the mystery Pop1 FS Jefferson collector hiding out up in Montana? I've been hearing things here and there, just curious.

Leo

• Leo:

While I have been purchasing PCGS "5+ full step" coins over the last year, I have not sold any of my 6 steppers from 1939 - 1959. In my opinion, many of these coins even though a lower grade will be worth multiples more because of their rarity relative to there 5 full step counterparts.

Frank

• HootHoot Posts: 867
    Ah! Leo, I wish that I could claim such fame, but I am not the Pop1 1953-S FS nickel owner. image Oh well, I have some fun coins, one of which is a 1952 MS67* (NGC) nickel but alas! it is not full steps. I do hide out in Montana and am an avid Jeff fan. image I have a meager but nicely growing collection but it is registered with NGC since I like the 6 FS coins the best and do most of my buying over the internet (sight unseen)! image

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman