Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Kelloggs future value

I read the other post about 71 Kelloggs and thought I would add my two cents.
I've followed card collecting for over 30 years and I can't imagine a scenario that the 1971 Kellogg's wouldn't become extremely valuable in the years to come. The problem is that you can't find them. I don't collect for the appreciation (though I don't mind it) but as the registry starts to become more and more popular, the 71 Kelloggs cards will, IMO, carry 7-10 times the value of the other Kellogg cards. It's almost moot however, because you can't make money on cards that you can't find. I've been searching for years to find nice 71 Kelloggs football cards and had very little luck (almost all are cracked).
Which begs the question "What if a card cracks after PSA has graded it?" Is that possible?

1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer

Comments

• Options
    They are certainly more scarce, but the demand for them isn't there either. Don't get me wrong, there are people actively collecting them, but nowhere near the numbers collecting other Kelloggs sets.

They might be 7 times as scarce as the 1970, but there are 25 times as many collectors for those 70's
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Zardoz is quite correct. That's why he is King Kellogg.

BTW, how do you come up with 7 to 10 times the value of other Kellogg's cards?
  • Options
    While I'm on the soapbox. Frankly, In my humble opinion, the design of the 71's leaves a bit to be desired. All the same border color, smaller portraits, and cluttered design.

Gemmintman, I believe that Guffy came up with the figure as the 71's are allegedly 7 times scarcer. My feeling is that what value does a card with a population of 5 have if there are only three collectors who want it?

Don't get me wrong, I own a few but I do not pursue
  • Options
    Seriously I thought that they were "only" four times as rare as the '70 issue.

I have to agree with you, the eye appeal of the '71 issue is just not as good as the '70 Kellogg's.
  • Options
    The 71's are just too "busy"...very boring design
  • Options
    It's settled then.

'70 KELLOGG'S ARE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE.

Accept no imitations.
  • Options
    There do not seem to be any dissenting votes

The ayes have it by acclaim. The 1970's ARE THE Kellogg's set to collect
  • Options
    It has been 12 hours since my last post.

If I might add as further proof of how "popular" the 71K set is, had I posted the derrogatory comments on any other set, there would have been numerous responses defending this set, how wrong I am, how I should get a life, who the **** do I think that I am, how I'm going to get beaten up at the next National, etc.

Instead.....nothing........not a word. just the sound of crickets chirping in the field.......................

QED
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ZARDOZ - Perhaps the '71 Kellogg's crowd is stunned by your revelations, and words don't convey their hatred towards you. I would keep my eyes open at all times if I were you! Be careful buddy! Your a marked man!...jay
  • Options
    Z:

<< <i>Instead.....nothing........not a word. just the sound of crickets chirping in the field....................... >>

When I started reading this, I was sure that I would hear just the sound of "stuffing a beaver"image All of these wild game references are confusing me.

Jay, you didn't post for a few days. Were you off getting your son squared away in the military. If so, I wish him well!
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>how wrong I am, how I should get a life, who the **** do I think that I am, how I'm going to get beaten up at the next National, etc. >>

These comments are taken as fact on these boards, and actually included in the CU Forums User Guide. No reason to state the obviousimage
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    RW2WIN - Not much for me and the wife to get squared away. The Gunnery Sgt that signed him picked him up on Monday to send him to Marines boot camp in Parris Island. We haven't heard from him yet, and may not till we see him at the end of November. The wife is more of a basket-case then usual, and I pacify myself by playing with cards all day. Thanks for your good thoughts...jay
  • Options

<< <i>The wife is more of a basket-case then usual, and I pacify myself by playing with cards all day. >>

Thats how I cope too. Best of luck for your son...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Well Zardoz - I started the last 71' Kelloggs post so I will be the lone defender of it's design.

Clean white border, stark deep blue contrasting inner border. Photo quality of the players is sharp and clear; IMO better and clearer register. The 1970 issue had kind of a murky, swirly look to it. The overall brightness and use of color makes this 1971 issue my favorite.
    I have talked about building this set in a modest way; I was trying to start this thing with a PSA 9 Gaston but got outbid on a PSA 9. Not modest enough I guess.

All of the Kelloggs issues are interesting in their own right for their place in the hobby history. And in every way the registrants efforts on both of these issues are amazing.

Since I dont yet own a single Kelloggs card I voice these opinions humbly.

RayB69Topps

Anyone got a stray 71' Kelloggs PSA 9 to get me started?
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Ray

Finally someone jumps in to defend the 1971's. I was getting quite discouraged!

Ray, here are you defending the 71's, and yet you don't even own one. The one you wanted was snatched away from you by one of those 71 collectors, the same ones that are not defending their set after my BS attacks, I mean my honest assessment of the set.

Step away from the dark side, come to the warmth and light that the 1970's offer.

I'll GIVE you a 1970 K PSA 9 NQ just to get started.

PM me your address and it will be on its way to you
  • Options
    Zardoz - You 70' 3D guys are irresistable! I feel a strange sensation of warmth and good will towards me; the mortal, one-dimensional collector. Mr. Corleone; I will take you up on your offer only if you agree not to kick me out of your "Secret Society" when and if I pursue the 71's also.
    Who knows maybe I will fall in love with that murky, swirly look you treasure so!

Sounds like their is plenty of moral support for such an endeavor!
    I will PM you.

Thanks.
    RayB69Topps

Z - If you get a chance, go back and read my previously posted thread about 71' Kelloggs if you have not already. You will see why I remember the whole 3D thing so fondly. Do you mind if I call you Z? :-)
  • Options
    Zardoz, I am going to beat you up at the next National. When you are not looking, I will take my Mr. Mint bobble head and beat you senseless. I will not stop the attack until you admit that 71 Kelloggs rule the world.
  • Options
    Not sure why I have to choose between 71 Kellogg's or 70 Kelloggs, it seems to me the look is pretty similar and I've always liked them both. Until now.

Gentlemen: I am declaring war on the 1970 Kelloggs collectors. You can have your Tom Hallers and your God-for-saken Seattle Pilots and take a flying leap. As for me, I am looking for a 1970 Kelloggs Joel Horlen card to pick my nose.

Text
  • Options

<< <i>Since I dont yet own a single Kelloggs card I voice these opinions humbly. >>

RayB - There is still time to correct your error. You haven't been infected with the '71 plague yet. Come to over the '70 camp and be cool like us image.

<< <i>Gentlemen: I am declaring war on the 1970 Kelloggs collectors >>

Guffy - LOL, but you remind me of General Custer image. Surrender now, and all will be forgiven.
  • Options
    Guffy

I sincerely hope that Mr. Mint will be giving out whoopie cushions next year. Somehow the sound of flatulance throughout the exhibit hall as you assault me with that future family heirloom, should certainly generate a thread on this board in excess of 300 posts.

As for total war between the 70 and 71 guys, er have you noticed that you are still alone?

It's OK we can help.

If you'll abandon this foolish defence of 71's and say that you want to collect 70's, I'll send you a PSA 9 FREE to help you over this malady.
  • Options

<< <i>If you'll abandon this foolish defence of 71's and say that you want to collect 70's, I'll send you a PSA 9 FREE to help you over this malady. >>

I really like those 1971 Kellogg's cards. Way better than the 70s, I don't know that I would ever overcome this malady...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Only those genuinely suffering from this illness may benefit from my cure.

Those faking will be subject to a whoopie cushion attack at next year's National
  • Options

<< <i>Which begs the question "What if a card cracks after PSA has graded it?" Is that possible? >>

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options

<< <i>I'll GIVE you a 1970 K PSA 9 NQ just to get started. >>

Don't do it, it's a trap! You'll be buying cards from Zardoz forever like me image Before you know it, you're also buying 71 Topps, card savers, etc. from him as well... Where does it end...

So, Zardoz, are you the one who sent in over 200 Bob Gibsons which got 9's so you can give them out for free?

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with that '74 Kellogg's Palmer PSA 9. It's obviously a '71 Kellogg's reprint.
  • Options
    Mr. Beaton

I have made absolutely no secret in my "business model" as a "pusher" of the hypnotic 3-D 1970 Kellogg's cards. The first one gets them hooked, and then they are mine.

hahahahahahahahaha <<<<< demented, evil laugh image

• Options
    Great strategy. Let me know when you start giving out PSA-9 1971 Topps! image

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Hmm... I might bite Zardoz if you started give out free Kellogg's cereal, I've been pretty hungry lately... But, I will resist your efforts to convert us all to the 1970's Kellogg's set. I declare my allegiance to those fighting the 1970 Kellogg's set, I alliegn myself with Guffy and RayB!

Ian
  • Options
    For the record - I am currently Switzerland. :-)

RayB69Topps
  • Options
    RayB - a wise neutral maneuver.

Ian, why would you join a sinking ship? Besides you don't want to be placed in one of Zardoz's 3-D Concentration Camps. You're young. Why throw your life away like that?
  • Options
    HEADLINE: Reports show that 70's Kelloggs cards are quickly becoming the "crack" of the new millenium.

Thanks, Zardoz
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    "the "crack" of the new millenium"

Now that is a great line!

Ian

It's not too late for you. You are more than welcome to join us. Just think about it. Seventy-five cards, an inexpensive vintage set brimming with HOFer's, and a support group that is unparalleled within the collecting community. You just can't find a better combination anywhere.

• Options
    Zardoz... what can $500 get me? I'm just curious about how much Kellogg's I can get for $500, the total amount of some items I just sold on eBay. Quick! I don't want my mom to find out that I might get addicted to them!

Ian
  • Options
    Ian

Quite a bit!

a good dent on the set
  • Options
    AHHHH!!! I've never given into peer pressure before... but considering the move may cost at the most $21.00 or so, I put in a bid on a PSA 9 1970 Killebrew Kellogg's... How much do 9's usually go for?... AHHHHHHHH!!! In the words of Bruce "Somebody say something quick"!

Ian
  • Options
    Zardoz... what can $500 get me?

Ahh the folly of youth.

Psst, Hey Zardoz. Have any Keloggs football?
  • Options
    While the 71 Kelloggs fans pause to gather steam...... Can anyone explain that post of the 74 Palmer? What happen to that card?
  • Options
    Guffy,

You asked if it was possible for a Kellogg's card to crack after being PSA graded, and I gave an example that it can happen.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Robert

What the hell did you do to that card?

I have handled one or two Kellogg's cards, and never have I seen anything like that.

Put in in the freezer and then under a sunlamp? Don't laugh, I'm going to experiment all day.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Zardoz - how many Kelloggs sets are there? I have several Rose PSA 9 from 73-83, and I looking to bid on a 70 Rose PSA 9.

Does Kelloggs have a set every year from 70-83? How difficult is it to get Rose Kelloggs cards?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Fab Frank

1970 football?

What makes you think that I have any interest in that set? Merely because is has so many HOFer's in it, decent to look at and hard to find in good shape is no reason to assume I am accumulating (and not very successfully I might add) this nice set? errrrrrrrr, I mean rotten waste of time nothing piece of garbage that people should dispose of as soon as possible. However, it just so happens that, as a charitable act, I will take off people's hands. image
  • Options
    Zardoz,

I keep it on the dashboard of my car, just like all my other cards. image

Actually, it looks much worse in the scan than it does person.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
  • Options
    Bob S- Thanks for the heads up. If I didn't just drop some coin on a 71 set (hint, hint Zardoz) I would have considered this lot.
    I'll keep the seller in mind and see if the lot is available next month.

Zardoz- On a serious note, I don't follow or collect Kelloggs, but after reading all your posts/brain washing I'm considering doing the sets in football. Are they really that hard to find? Any info or nuances I should know about these sets before I start to collect them? I'm already torturing myself with trying to do the 71 baseball set. I don't need any further anxiety. LMK
  • Options
    Is the original poster's theory now correct ?

Do 1971 Kelloggs cards have 7 to 10x the value of other Kelloggs cards ?
  • Options
    I collect 71k football and saw a psa 9 blanda sell for 250.00 and I bought a psa 10 russell for 330, and recently lost a psa 10 osborn that went for over 500 based on that at the very least they still are popular although there may only be a handful of guys chasing them they don't come up uncracked very often. In the pop report over 2000 graded and only 147 10's. I would think that at the very least makes them more valuable then other Kelloggs.jmoimage
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • Options
    Men- The fun is in the chase! All of the kelloggs sets except for the '71 set can be found in nice near mint to mint condition monthly on ebay! I've been collecting '71 kelloggs football for about 5 years and they are TOUGH to find in great shape... that's what makes them fun to collect and why the serious Kelloggs guys search high and low for the '71's and pretty much pass on all the other years!! Hardly anyone has any 71's and the guys that do don't want to part with them unless you have some serious coin to shell out! If you want to check out a truly amazing set take a look at the registry and look at the #1 1971 kelloggs football set! That set is a TRUE BEAST and should be in the running for football insert set of the year for this year's PSA Awards! Just my humble opinion!
    Paul
  • Options
    Paul, I checked out that set and your right it is a "TRUE BEAST"
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • Options
    Just to follow your leader, I've watched two PSA 9 Griese go for over 300.00 a piece!!! I've got 3 '71's (Buoniconti, Briscoe's true rookie, and Griese) all in 9's and damn happy about having them!!!
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    A question for all the Kelloggs collectors...my understanding is that Kelloggs never offered their 1971 baseball cards as a complete set, which leads to their scarcity today. Was the same thing true for the 1971 Kelloggs football cards? Thanks!
    John G