Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should NGC's holder data be presented in Braille for those that can't see?

Okay, I admit it, I'm trying to get everyone all stirred up.

Actually, I've enjoyed the posts about NGC's star designation and NGC versus PCGS grading standards. I guess at the end of the day the grading services help newbies avoid stepping in traps.

However, it always amazes me to see a 'collector' refuse to pay $XXX for a coin because it's not in a PCGS holder, or it's not in a MSXX holder....but as soon as it is in the holder of his desire, he forks over the big bucks. It's just amazing.

GSAGUY

Comments

• Options
    However, it always amazes me to see a 'collector' refuse to pay $XXX for a coin because it's not in a PCGS holder, or it's not in a MSXX holder....but as soon as it is in the holder of his desire, he forks over the big bucks. It's just amazing.

It does make you wonder sometimes doesn't it, they turn it down one day then buy the EXACT same coin a month later for a HIGHER price JUST because it is in a different holder. image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Well in cases like this I am blind.

Link
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should NGC's holder data be presented in Braille for those that can't see?

What a great title. I'm going to think about this one for a day and return tomorrow if I have a good response. Wow, what a kicker this one is.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2018 7:50PM

@gsaguy said:

GSAGUY

Just wait a few years until the CAC stickers show up!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any holder or coin. Maybe so.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I thought GSAguy was back for a moment ...

Doug
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2018 10:36PM

PERCEPTION

@RotatedRainbows said:

It does make you wonder sometimes doesn't it, they turn it down one day then buy the EXACT same coin a month later for a HIGHER price JUST because it is in a different holder.

• Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

amazing coin

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is my two cents
    No offense in anyway but would it be impossible though to enjoy slabbed coins when you can't see....Braille or not?
    If anything the raws are perfect to see through their touch <3

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Paradise is correct.
    I've met many, many collectors in my life, but not one was blind. They would enjoy raw much more.....

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RotatedRainbows said:

It does make you wonder sometimes doesn't it, they turn it down one day then buy the EXACT same coin a month later for a HIGHER price JUST because it is in a different holder.

What's amazing to me is that someone can get a coin in a new holder in just one month. Must not have been though PCGS regular or economy service levels.

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

I actually helped a blind collector build a great set of half dollars. It was initially put together raw, then we sent them to get graded. I think he would have loved to have had braille on the ngc holders.

Never assume. The world is full of surprises.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn... thought GSAGuy was back..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    here is my two cents
    No offense in anyway but would it be impossible though to enjoy slabbed coins when you can't see....Braille or not?
    If anything the raws are perfect to see through their touch <3

Also they can go to shows at night when the bourse is crowded.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

GSAGuy was/is a clever fellow if this post is typical. No wonder he's missed.

• Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

We have had several blind customers over the years. Currently have one that comes in regularly with his seeing eye dog. He collects tokens and medals so he can feel the images and relief of the pieces without worrying too much about wear or damage. Not expensive ones however.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gsaguy said:
    Okay, I admit it, I'm trying to get everyone all stirred up.

Actually, I've enjoyed the posts about NGC's star designation and NGC versus PCGS grading standards. I guess at the end of the day the grading services help newbies avoid stepping in traps.

GSAGUY

At what point after PCGS was founded did it begin to rule the roost in the coin market? After all of the countless posts touting buy the coin and not the holder, that advice seems to be largely ignored.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file