Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the dumbest coin question you ever heard?

Didn't happen to me but one time a guy on the teletype had a customer with a bunch of pennies that were flattened by a train. The customer wanted to know if they were worth extra because President McKinley was on the train. image

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the dealer when this happened... British lady walks in and says in her (funny) British accent, "I would like something, kind of expensive, for my father-in-laws birthday... he likes rare coins."
    -dealer, "Well, what kind? we have morgans, uncirculated ones are always popular... blah blah blah"
    20 minutes go by... as the lady looks through some bills...
    walks out with a $20 note...

I'm left thinking... she did say expensive, right???
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I didn't hear it, because they didn't ask it! Isn't that the only TRULY stupid question?
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    You're right Ron but sometimes people say funny things without knowing why. I'm an expert at it.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are dimes smaller than nickels?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Why are dimes smaller than nickels?

Dave

Just like why are nickels bigger than a half dime. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

From a cashier after I laid a Kennedy half on her:

"These are dollars, right?"

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does it take 3 pounds of cents to buy 1 pound of hamburger?

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard this one quite often recently, "Is this a doubled die?"😁😬

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these real gold? (Pres. Dollars) :D

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say that I've heard a dumb question. More often, I've seen people on coin forums (not this forum) display a photo and declare that the coin is rare in some way for looking deformed, when it was just post-Mint damage. It's when people are convinced that their coin is rare without any numismatic knowledge to back it up. Aggressive ignorance, I call it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When individual know nothing about a subject, yet are curious, questions they ask will always seem 'dumb', to the knowledgeable. This is how people learn and the process should be encouraged. Now, if the same individual then argues when presented with the facts, it becomes ignorance. Cheers, RickO

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't remember but I probably asked it.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that coin grade "proof"? I've actually heard this more than once.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much is it worth with a CAC sticker ?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Is this real?"

(Yes it's real. Now we can discuss its authenticity and grade).

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woman to little boy holding coin: "Which side is 'up' ?"

(Overheard at a coin show.)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love those story's. Thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheNumish said:
    Didn't happen to me but one time a guy on the teletype had a customer with a bunch of pennies that were flattened by a train. The customer wanted to know if they were worth extra because President McKinley was on the train.

I'm still trying to figure out what was so stupid about this question... :#

Coins run over by McKinley's funeral train were popular collectables for witnesses to the "procession", and they are worth something today provided they have believable documentation. The provenance of these sorts of things is usually lost over time, but if they were documented at the time of crushing then yes, they are worth "extra".

Same goes for coins crushed by Lincoln's funeral train, and that of any other dignitary.

I have a Canadian coin that was flattened by the train that was carrying the Royal couple during a visit to Canada in the 1930s. Luckily the owner counterstamped the details onto the coin to preserve the story.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Do you buy coins?" heard in every coin shop every day.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2019 3:05PM

Have I found a new error? (Special thanks to YouTube for that one.)

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Coins run over by McKinley's funeral train were popular collectables for witnesses to the "procession", and they are worth something today provided they have believable documentation. The provenance of these sorts of things is usually lost over time, but if they were documented at the time of crushing then yes, they are worth "extra".

Same goes for coins crushed by Lincoln's funeral train, and that of any other dignitary.

I have a Canadian coin that was flattened by the train that was carrying the Royal couple during a visit to Canada in the 1930s. Luckily the owner counterstamped the details onto the coin to preserve the story.

Yes, folks often placed coins on the tracks to create souvenirs. I wonder when this was done last.

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the lady with the circ 1922 Peace dollar who asks of she has a unique very valuable rarity because the mint misspelled the word 'trust' on her coin using a V inatead of a U?

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

My reply was: We have to because we can’t get people to give them to us.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?

@Coulport said:

@CaptHenway said:

My reply was: We have to because we can’t get people to give them to us.

I have used that line myself!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

The dumbest general question I ever got was "Do you know what bank your checks are drawn on?"

I said "Yes."

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the back of my desk. Ive seen similar at other shops, the dealer also had theirs in back. Might be off putting to some customers. ;)

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much would you pay for this. I looked it up on the internet and it’s worth (fill in your own ridiculous amount here).

Today it was a 1964-D Lincoln at $8600!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will I ever be able to sell this for a profit? lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Three U.S. college girls standing in the checkout line at the souvenir shop on the Canadian side of Niagra Falls.
    "Do you accept** real money** here?
    Canadian cashier: Yes we do. And, we also accept U.S. money, too.""

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

"What is the lowest (amount of money) you'll take for this coin?"

The response I wanted to give, but kept to myself: "What is the most you're willing to pay?"

• MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2019 8:54PM

I always wear a 1922-S Peace dollar on a chain necklace. I often get a reaction from the non-collecting masses. They never seen such a large and old coin before.

One of my co-workers ask me why I wear a "bigass quarter" around my neck. My fellow millennials are so ignorant.

In another instance, a lady asked me why I'm wearing a "thousand bucks" around my neck. Many people fail to realize that just because a coin is old, it doesn't mean it's valuable. People inherit circulated, common date Morgan/Peace dollars thinking they have a small fortune. Sure, old dollars always have an intrinsic value based on their silver content. But most inherited coins are unlikely to be rare or numismatically valuable.

edited April 15, 2019 9:07PM

@ernie11 said:
    I can't say that I've heard a dumb question. More often, I've seen people on coin forums (not this forum) display a photo and declare that the coin is rare in some way for looking deformed, when it was just post-Mint damage. It's when people are convinced that their coin is rare without any numismatic knowledge to back it up. Aggressive ignorance, I call it.

That's a classic example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. I don't like it when non-collectors ask if their coin is valuable. If they're given an answer they don't like, they try to refute it. Why do these people bother asking for help in the first place?

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrMonkeySwag96 said:

@ernie11 said:

That's a classic example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. I don't like it when non-collectors ask if their coin is valuable. If they're given an answer they don't like, they try to refute it. Why do these people bother asking for help in the first place?

When they do that, I encourage them to buy a PCGS membership and submit under one of the more expensive tiers to accommodate the high value of their precious "rarities."

edited April 15, 2019 10:55PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@MrMonkeySwag96 said:

@ernie11 said:

When they do that, I encourage them to buy a PCGS membership and submit under one of the more expensive tiers to accommodate the high value of their precious "rarities."

Most of these smart alecks don't even know what PCGS is lol. It seems the ignorant public either undervalue or overvalue their coins. The millennials spend their Morgan/Peace dollars at face value, disregarding the silver content. The older folks think they hit the jackpot with their inheritance.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

got a 1944 mercury dime in change about 25 years ago. the young cashier at the counter asked me if it was foreign and if I wanted American for it. I passed

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    "What is the lowest (amount of money) you'll take for this coin?"

The response I wanted to give, but kept to myself: "What is the most you're willing to pay?"

I actually HAVE used this line when selling a rifle.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...when I was a freshman in high school, during a sex-ed class, a girl asked the teacher “umm, like if you have aids and you sleep with somebody else who has aids; like, can you get double aids?” ;)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...when I was a freshman in high school, during a sex-ed class, a girl asked the teacher “umm, like if you have aids and you sleep with somebody else who has aids; like, can you get double aids?” ;)

I sure hope she found a good man. :)

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked briefly at a coin shop MANY years ago.

One day a person called on the phone and asked:
    "How much can you pay me for a miniature Krugerrand ?".

My answer:
    "I can pay you a miniature dollar bill for it.".

Then a little while later he actually showed up at the shop with it.
    It came in a big velvet box and it was so thin I almost bent it in half prying it out of the holder.
    I held it about a foot above the digital scale and dropped it.
    When it hit the scale, for the briefest of moments, it registered 0.01 grams.
    But then it settled out at 0.00 grams.

I said:
    "I'm sorry sir, but your miniature Kruggerand does not register any mass at all".

He said:
    "I bought it out of a newspaper ad for $19.95. It has to be worth at least that much, right ?".

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

" i am in business and I know how things work."
    "Why should I pay you more than ONE dollar for this metal 1 dollar? you probably buy it from the mint at a 40% discount or better. :D

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

I once bought in a nice collection of circ. capped bust halves and wrote them up on cardboard inserts with the date, denomination as “50 (cent sign)” and grade across the top, and the price in the lower right corner. Put a display of 75 of them out in my NEW TOYS window and had some guy try to buy 20 of them with a $10 bill.

• A question I asked many people unsuccessfully when I was eight years old:

Why is there a big "P" on the 'tails'? (Obverse and reverse were concepts beyond me at the time.)

Eventually I found the answer in a Red Book at the library.

That 1943-P nickel got me started collecting coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file