Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what the fast natural way to tone coins

I am wondering what the quickest way is to tone coins other then the oven. I have a proof Kennedy setting in the window wrape in a thin sheet of paper waiting for some kind of reaction but it been over a month and it looks the same as it did the day I put it there. I sure would like to see at least a little change in it.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Comments

• Options
    Sulfur is the key. Throw some match heads near the coin, but not dorectly on it.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Move to a large metro area image I started sunning a 2001 Silver Eagle on my window sill in April, and it was golden by July 2001.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What kind of proof kennedy, silver or clad?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Does Russ like toned proof JFKs?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    Placid
    Its silver

perfectstrike
    its right on the south side of the house where its sunny all day.

kieferscoins

I'll try the matches

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Try the 2"x2" manilla paper envelopes. They seem to have a good sulfur content.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    i just bought 240 jefferson nickel proofs ($50) from the early 60s. i'm gonna place them on a sheet of paper (maybe 40 laid out flat), then another sheet of paper, etc. using matchsticks is a good idea - i'll use that too. then say goodnight to them for may a few years.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that an oxymoron?

There have been some discussions on the board regarding what constitutes natural versus artificial toning. I guess intent plays a part but how do I know that the reason a coin was left in a sulfur filled environment was to create a monster toned coin rather than a lack of knowledge regarding correct storage methods. I wonder if on some level the grading services don't care whether it's a matter of intent or ignorance, if you show up with a monster toned 2001 SAE, etc. it gets bagged as ATed.

Does the fact that common knowledge and standard accommodations exist for preserving coins in blast white condition make two year old issues with monster toning automatic candidates for a body bag?
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is kind of out of whack is I own a PCGS 100% (dark) rainbow toned American Silver Eagle. No big deal other than it's dated 2000 and does NOT have the PCGS barcode (meaning it was graded sometime in 2000 or early 2001).
    How did it tone so rapidly and the bigger question: how did PCGS authenticate the toning?

peacockcoins

• Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    The ASEs are .999% pure silver instead of just 90%. They react much more quickly to any kind of toning enviornment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file