Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Breaking out coins from Slabs? Any advice?

I would like to break some of my coins out of slabs and wanted to know the safest way to do so. Can anyone give me any suggestions or advice? Sounds easy enough, but with since this forum is here I thought that I would check with those who have done this.

Thanks
Ogden

Comments

• Options
    One thread

The best thread

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Send the inserts back to the grading service so they can adjust the pop reports.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different slabs require different methods. Only send back the inserts if you plan on having the coins graded again. Pop reports should represent the number of unique coins that have been graded, and are only inaccurate if one coin is counted more than once (which has happened hundreds of times already)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I like to use front-cutting pliers. Snip one side of the holder and it'll crack all the way across and can easily be pulled apart. I then use a small flat head screwdriver to pry apart the remaining plastic. Just be careful not to place the srewdriver too close to the coin....they've typically got enough marks as it is.image

GSAGUY
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just take a hammer and smash away at the edges till the plastic is broken and pulverized. I do not recommend this to others, but it helps vent a little angerimage

Tyler
  • Options
    BowAxeBowAxe Posts: 143 ✭✭
    If you own a bandsaw or have access to one, I suggest you try it; it produces surgically clean cuts with little risk of damage to the coin (assuming you keep the cut along the periphery of the insert) but does risk severe damage to your fingers if you don't pay meticulous attention while you're cutting--don't let your mind wander! Also, the blade may throw the cut-off edges, so wear safety glasses.
  • Options
    OgdenOgden Posts: 435
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I will try it first on one of my cheaper coins. Thanks again.

Ogden
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Good old fashioned hammer does the trick for me.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Carefully drive a car over the top but be sure not to hit the coin, it should pop right out (warning only use on low grade SBA's) Oh, and send in the insert if it is still in 1 piece.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file