Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coin book should I read first?

clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
I just received both Coin Collecting for Dummies and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual, courtesy of Amazon.com. Which should I read first, or does it matter?

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Both are good, and I don't think it matters which one you read first.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Doesn't matter both are about the same, one has stuff that the other doesn't , and Vice, Versa. Have fun reading them I thought both were alright.
    COINHUNTER
  • Options
    I would read Coin Collecting for Dummies first. The reason: Dummies covers everything from beginning to end but not in depth. The Survival Manual talks more about grading and grading services. Although both are very good.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Another`must have `book I think for you(or any collector really) would be ,Offical A,N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with the Survival Manual. Never liked the Dummies books.

The Life of Eric Newman by Augsburger, Burdette and Orosz is quite good.

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good "catch" @roadrunner!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 12:35PM

Well, that's embarrassing @Coinstartled ....

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@clw54 said:
    I just received both Coin Collecting for Dummies and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual, courtesy of Amazon.com. Which should I read first, or does it matter?

@8093 posts, Why you should ask for an opinion is unlikely, rather an attempt at a joke.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

RR caught it first. LOL

Hi, clw! :)

• Options
    edited June 20, 2017 12:38PM

@EXOJUNKIE said:

You think the thread just floated to the surface??

• Options
    edited June 20, 2017 12:42PM

@Coinstartled said:

@EXOJUNKIE said:

You think the thread just floated to the surface??

I don't know brother, but you responded to it first haha. Honest mistake ... it happens ... all you can do is laugh. And with all the other drama happening on the forum right now we needed a laugh. :)

ANA LM

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are missing the point @EXOJUNKIE He obviously resurrected the thread from 15 years ago, for what reason, that I cant explain.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

@BruceS said:
    I think you are missing the point @EXOJUNKIE He obviously resurrected the thread from 15 years ago, for what reason, that I cant explain.

It is cool (I think) to look back at what we were doing coin wise 15 years ago. So long ago in fact that Amazon was selling books and not organic dumplings.

• Options

@BruceS said:

Exactly. Without an explanation, it's either bizarre or funny. I chose funny.

ANA LM

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years of research to come up with an answer.

• Options

We are resourceful if not expeditious.

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 7:15PM

Neil Carothers' Fractional Money will give you a fantastic understanding of how the US coinage system worked from colonial times to the early 20th century.

I see this thread is very old. But my answer holds up for those who care.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file