Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Will there be another contest to 4,000?

As of 9:00 Pacific time there are:

<< <i>3703 sets registered >>

Will there be a contest again for the 4,000th set? 4 free submissions? It seems like the 3,000 set registered contest was a month ago.

Cameron Kiefer

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Hope so! I plan to snipe it. image Just like everyone else who did at 3000...

But the odds are that I won't be near a computer when it rolls around to it, so I'll have to take my chances...
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Wouldn't be suprised if they wait until 5000. Just a guess. I've been trying to figure how long that might take if they do. 5000 sets has a nice ring to it. Gives them plenty of time to promote the achievement and design a plan to reward the winner.

Based on the way it's been going my guess would be sometime mid to late 2003. Just when you think things are slowing down though, another 7 or 8 sets are added every few days. So who knows.

Dan
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing myself. The only reason I could see not to, would be the fact that it has been a very short period of time since it hit 3,000. Additionally,I don't recall them doing it for 1,000 or 2,000. Does anyone know if 3,000 was the first time?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    3,000 was the first time.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Less than a 100 sets to go and no official word. I guess we will have to wait until it reaches 5,000.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I hope not. 90% of the so-called sets registered could be unregistered with no one noticing. Too many junk sets. PCGS needs to remove most and only keep actual active sets.
  • Options
    gmarguli,

You are right that 90% of the "sets" have 1-2 coins out of 50 making them pretty weak sets.

But, I have to disagree with PCGS removing these as I'd rather PCGS went the other way and MANDATED registering.

Ok, I know this is a bit 1984 of them and of course would make virtually no sense, but I just wish that when I see my set ranked 84 out of 97 that it was instead 184 out of 900. I want the registry to be the one stop shop to see where you rank in terms of collectors of whatever you collect (coinwise).

I think the registry is nice and that the only thing holding it back is the 99% of coins not registered.

Go registry!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mandate registering? HOW? Does this mean that dealers with thousands of coins would have to register them? I have read some crazy things on these boards, but this may top them all.

What about the millions of coins in other holders (or raw). Do these really just not count because they are not blessed with PCGS plastic? The PCGS registry is just a list of registered sets of coins in PCGS holders, nothing more and nothing less.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    dbldie55,

I realize that mandated registry is very far fetched. I stated that in my earlier post. Also, if that was the most unusual thing you ever read you must have only been reading this board for 5 minutes so far image

Anyway, my point, albiet stated with hyperbole, was that I wish that WAY more people registered their coins.

I just think that the more registered sets the more interesting it is to compare your set to the average and to the "kings".

And, I am firmly of the opinion that the registry enhances prices from time to time, which I think is a good thing overall.

And, PCGS could certainly do more to encourage the registry. Giving away free certs was a great idea, but there are other things that they could probably do.