Home U.S. Coin Forum

If a meteor were about to hit the planet.....

and you had moments to live, how many of you would still be reading and writing the threads on this forum?

TRUTH

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If I was already browsing here, and considering with only moments to live I probably wouldn't have time to get anything major done anyway, I might make one last "Buy the meteor insurance before the coin" post. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• oh, i'd probably still be here. i missed the national news on t.v. tonite.

the world isn't gonna end tonite, is it?

• Maybe I would go to ebay and click "Buy It Now" on everything and at least dream!image

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • I'd be on ebay buying the best coins i can find cost would be no object image

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I'd rush to put my coins in a safe place!image
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd make some witty wisecrack about gmarguli, safe in the knowledge he wouldn't have time to react...
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    let's hope it lands on the open forum and not here. image

• << <i>I'd make some witty wisecrack about gmarguli, safe in the knowledge he wouldn't have time to react... >>

Yeah, what he said, but I would also throw out a few jabs for that dpoole guy!!!!image
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    ... I would have blown $7 million plus on a coin for nothing ...
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I'd go to the Testing Forum.
    Or, as Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain once said (and he spent a few years in the city as a bookkeeper before becoming noted for another avocation): "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything there happens 10 years later ...'' A former Cincinnatian here image
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With only moments to live I would very optimistically check to see if my grades were in. I would be thinking I would live anyway, those meteor things are way over-rated!image

Tbig
  • WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I would be gathering up my coins to take with me
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grab all my expensive modern PCGS slabs and run.........

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• jtrykajtryka Posts: 797
    I would get my pet rats, whatever coins I had in the house and hop in the truck and drive east as fast as I could, I'm sure I could out run it!

That's a real purdy nickel Leo!
  • In the words of Bill Cosby, "First I'd say it, then I'd do it".
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I dont know about the rest of you, but I would make the tallest,coldest, stiffest, hairiest drink you every saw and enjoy the glow. Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • I guess you are referring to the news item about a meteor that may cross earth's path in 2019? No, I wouldn't be reading this forum's postings. I would make like a mole and go to an underground bunker which is deeply buried beneath the surface which has an atmosphere and food supplies for at least 50 years, so that I can pass the rest of my life trying to finish all of the books that I never got around to read. image
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I would contemplate the $$$$ PCGS could make from such a disaster.image
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    :0
  • I don't think PCGS would be that sadistic.

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • do you know something we don't?
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Instead of buying a PCGS commemorative "End of the Earth" SAE, I'd probably go on the open forum and admit that gmarguli, TJ, HLM, and the others aren't as bad as they think I think they are. I wouldn't admit it before the end of the world, though.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Braddick would go nuts, imagine all the PCGS PO-01 Earth Ground Zero coins! image

• baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    what was the deal with gmarguli and dpoole anyway - i remember that. i picture gmar sitting in subway like happy gilmore saying "man i hate that dpoole guy".

i would get in the protective armadillo position over my SAE proofs
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • I'd calculate the meteor's trajectory then get in my plane and
    head straight for it and hope it gets me first.

- Charlie B -
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I'd get some crazy glue, all my slabbed coins, take off my clothes and glue slabs all over myself then run up and down the street screaming "Bye the coin, bye the coin". (not a misspelling) image md
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Well you didnt say it was going to wipe out everybody. Im guessing it wouldnt it would hit someplace where people arnt at . then id be the first person there to get what was left of the meteor because at 5000 to 7000$ an ounce it would be worth the trip and the looking for it image And then you can guess where the money was going No not to the nuddie bars to coins lol
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • Not me ! I'd have to get off line to call and buy short on the futures market !image
    Ken
  • I would call that girl who said "only if you were the last man on earth...."
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd be quietly slippng through braddicks back door with my MS70 kennedy in hand, looking for that PO registry set. them aliens are gonna be solving that mystery for a LONG time!!!image

al h.image
    2019-S $50
    PCGS PR70 VDCAM
    End of the Earth Recovery
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RGL said:
    2019-S $50
    PCGS PR70 VDCAM
    End of the Earth Recovery

;)

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam40 said:
    I would contemplate the $$$$ PCGS could make from such a disaster.

Ah, like a special limited edition meteor impact zone recovery label?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JJacks said:
    Maybe I would go to ebay and click "Buy It Now" on everything and at least dream!

JJacks

Now that's a great idea! Problem is you wouldn't be dreaming for long.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RGL said:
    Or, as Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain once said (and he spent a few years in the city as a bookkeeper before becoming noted for another avocation): "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything there happens 10 years later ...'' A former Cincinnatian here

Yea, you beat a current Queen City resident to that quote.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemseeker said:
    I guess you are referring to the news item about a meteor that may cross earth's path in 2019? No, I wouldn't be reading this forum's postings. I would make like a mole and go to an underground bunker which is deeply buried beneath the surface which has an atmosphere and food supplies for at least 50 years, so that I can pass the rest of my life trying to finish all of the books that I never got around to read.

Sounds like an old Twilight Zone show. I hope you don’t break your glasses! :p

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    I'd make some witty wisecrack about gmarguli, safe in the knowledge he wouldn't have time to react...

Is gmarguili still around?

Looks like I got away with it. :)

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2018 5:15PM

I'd take a Unisome, go to Bed, skipping work with no regrets. I'd be thiinking - Scrw you , you bunch of slve drivers, I might not ever wake up".

FINALLY ! Some good rest with no remorse at all. The best kind !

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so glad I spent the extra money on the METEOR PROOF SLABS. Guaranteed to withstand meteor impact and keep your coins from melting.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IrishMike said:
    let's hope it lands on the open forum and not here.

There's always gonna be fallout from the open forum.

No blue fish...

Tempus fugit.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:

@dpoole said:

Is gmarguili still around?

Looks like I got away with it. :)

The world isn't really ending you know?

Tempus fugit.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be worring about all my coins suddenly becoming "Artificially Toned" :o

GrandAm :)
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    Wow, in 2002 I could not have imagined that I would now feel sentimental about this board.

People I remember well are dead, or banned, or have moved on to other things.

25 or 30% of our lives spent here.

:#

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be reading the posts over her shoulder, if you know what I mean.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

25 or 30% of our lives spent here.

:#

Yes, it is remarkable. While I am waxing sentimental, when I see your Koufax image, in my mind I can't separate Koufax' s phenomenal years (arguably 1961-66, though it's an interesting discussion topic) from my start in coin collecting, circa 1963.

Higashiyama
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go outside and take a picture!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights