Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does PVC affect gold the same way it affects silver?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since gold is basically a non reactive metal does PVC cause problems with golds coin as it does with silver? How about platinum?

Comments

• Options
    Nope gold is a pretty tough metel. I've had gold (mostly bullion pieces) in 2x2's for years and have seen no change whatsoever. Now on the other hand old gold coins may show some color change due to the copper mixed to toughen the gold for coinage.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    jtrykajtryka Posts: 797
    I tend to agree, as gold is not reactive, but PVC could have some long term effects. By the way Nucklehead, American Eagle bullion coins contain 8.33% alloy and 91.67% gold, so they can have almost identical long term toning/spotting as the classic gold coins.
  • Options
    Old gold is 96% on average! The new Eagles are more prone to copper spots at 91%. This is the one thing that ticks me off about U.S. gold, there is no reason they cant be 99.99, its not like they are going to be circulated! You can sure tell the difference along side 99.99!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Not old US gold! The vast majority was 90% gold, but early pieces were 91.67% gold and the Classic head pieces were just under 90%! To be exact, all pre-Classic head US were 91.67% gold, Classic Head were 89.9% gold and post Classic Head to 1933 were all 90% gold.
  • Options
    I guess If you dont consider the $20 pieces old. This is what I collect!
  • Options
    I stand corrected, guess I was just thinking of the Canadian gold maple leaf when I spoke of bullion pieces and forgot that the AGE is'nt as pure.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    Wallstreetman,

You are either confused or misinformed. Every double eagle I know of was made of 90% gold and contained 0.9675 ounces of gold. I double checked, and from Type 1 Libs to the 1933 Saint, they were all 90% gold. Only the smaller denominations had the fluctuations in gold content since the standards were not finalized at 90% until the 1840s, which was before the first double eagles were produced.
  • Options
    I stand corrected, your right, I am confusing weight with purity. I knew there was a 96 something. I never really paid that much attention to the issue, other than they dont look as golden as my Austrailian coins.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't the PVC react with the copper in alloyed gold?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I don't like with gold is copper spots !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC will react with copper, not with gold. Copper spots on gold coins do bother me.... although not uncommon, they detract from the beauty of the gold. I do not recall seeing a gold coin with PVC residue though.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC will react with copper, not with gold. Copper spots on gold coins do bother me.... although not uncommon, they detract from the beauty of the gold. I do not recall seeing a gold coin with PVC residue though.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017 9:42AM

First of all, the OP's question has been slightly diverted and off in a different direction. :(

Original Question: Does PVC affect gold the same way it affects silver?

Correct Answer: NO :)

The only thing PVC and its residue does to gold is to clog the incuse design on $2 1/2 or $5 Indians, and get stuck in the relief of other denominations. If you wish, I will post an image.

What PVC does is cause a "film" on the surface of gold. In many cases (All of them? I never gave it a thought) this is similar to the beautiful "skin" that many appreciate.

@jtryka said: "I tend to agree, as gold is not reactive, but PVC could have some long term effects."

Absolutely NOT and nothing that cannot be easily fixed! Spots on gold are a completely different thing and not related to PVC on gold.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC may not affect gold but and a big but PVC can sit on the surface of gold coins from flips containing PVC.
    Comes right off with acetone, problem solved!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file