Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you guys ever wonder if...

...people in the 1850s that collected 1794-1830 coinage looked at the guys that were collecting "modern" stuff as morons?

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• jtrykajtryka Posts: 795
    I think back then, only the crazy rich people collected coins, and all the normal people that were scraping their money together to buy a covered wagon to go out west looked at the people collecting and saving all those little disks of metal instead of spending them as morons. image
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    All the normal people still think coin collectors are nuts! Often with good reason. image
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I overheard a kid say to his Dad at a coin shop`Why would someone want to buy old money that you couldnt spend.Thats a waste of `good` money.image
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I remember in the 70's and 80's everyone thought of Franklins half dollars as junk silver and Kennedy's were thought of as just plain junk. Things have changed! mike image
  • ...and continue to change as long as coin collecting is aroundimage
    For me-collecting coins for fun.For my children-their future.
  • people in the 1850s that collected 1794-1830 coinage looked at the guys that were collecting "modern" stuff as morons?

No because collectors back then acquired most of their stuff at or slightly above face value unlike many of today's (not everyone but many) collectors who routinely pay 500-1000 times or more over face value JUST because someone told them it was a certain condition. The mindset of modern collectors back then was totally different then it is today.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, goldnuget. Collectors back in the 1850s were not as fanatical about grading. Coins were either “New” or “Used,” and you didn’t have 11 Mint State grading numbers.

You also didn’t have people paying huge premiums for pocket change. Back then $5 was big price to pay for an old coin at an auction.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10,000 times over face for a slabbed classic equals serious numismatist

500- 1,000 times over for a slabbed modern equals another sheep for shearing.
    Tempus fugit.
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    hey cladking
    what would you call some one who would spend a grand on a 1990 no S proof cent.
    I call them luckyimageimageimage

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>500- 1,000 times over for a slabbed modern equals another sheep for shearing. >>

How about 21,400 times face value?

Russ, NCNE
    Not even in the same league Russ. 4,000,000 x face for the PR68 1804 dollar, for example. image

Actually that's an interesting trivia question, I wonder what the record is? Maybe a 1913 Liberty Nickel?
    No doubt, but there will be moderns that give the '13 nickel a run for it's money.
    Tempus fugit.
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    No doubt, but there will be moderns that give the '13 nickel a run for it's money.

200 years from now.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not even in the same league Russ. 4,000,000 x face for the PR68 1804 dollar, for example. >>

True. But, they didn't mint one billion of the 1804 dollar.

Russ, NCNE
    Sure they did, the mint will be releasing them as soon as they clear out their backlog of old proof sets. image

Guess I'll start my own thread on my trivia question.
  • On a sidenote, If I could time travel, I would go back, and grab all the 1877 indian heads from the mint.

wow, can you imagine being the only person with that coin?

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    hey Rob pick me up a roll of the 77s from the mint when your back there

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Ill be glade to Mac, now where did I put that flux capacitor...

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • HuntHunt Posts: 67
    I know some will call me a modern basher, but I'll say it anyway (I'm really not). I just can't see why someone would spend thousands of dollars for a coin that has tens of millions (even hundreds of millions) out there that could be graded down the road. If just one out of that huge number is graded the same--there goes the value of your rare coin. And I think down the road dozens and even hundreds of these coins will surface that will grade at such level. It's just the game of probability. Too risky for me!!

I don't mind if people want to collect modern coins and even spend a little more for a nice example, but these people spending thousands of dollars for state quarters need to have their heads examined. Buy nice examples of these coins but don't spend so much money on a coin that will only go down in value as more pop up down the road.

THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!
    No one would call you a modern basher for calling modern collectors insane.
    This is par for the course around here.

It's impossible to predict the future, and certainly the multiple over face for a
    '13 nickel will be a major hurdle for any coin, but there are several modern con-
    tenders. The ones that spring to mind are the '73 and '74 aluminum cents and
    the '74 steel cents. If there are ever a couple million people collecting cents
    from circulation there would be substantial interest in these coins. There are
    other possibilities, but they'll probably not happen anytime soon either.
    Tempus fugit.
  • jtrykajtryka Posts: 795
    This is a little off topic, so sorry to any impatient folks. Clad, what's the story with the aluminum and steel cents you mentioned? I have never heard of them before, which is not surprising since I am more of a classic collector. Please elaborate if you will.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think the aluminum cents were test pieces.Testing possible other metals to maybe replace the copper ones.
    There more info on this somewhere on the net.I remember reading about it recently.
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    nope
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
    Jtryka: This is from memory but The mint was searching for a replacement for
    copper cents starting in 1973. Few '73 cents were made and they were possibly
    all destroyed. The government threatens to confiscate any that turn up, so it may
    be some time till we know. Very large numbers of the '74's were produced, prob-
    ably in excess of 250,000. At one point it was expected by the mint that these coins
    would actually be issued so they wanted to know about die life and handling. Several
    were given to politicos for examination. Eventually the mint demanded return of the
    cents and about six or eight weren't returned. It is not known if these are legal but
    there was one piece that was picked up by capitol security when it was dropped by a
    person legitimately holding it. When proffered he was told to "keep it". This piece's
    legal status is still pending so far as I know. There were also several pieces found in
    the minting equipment and some of these may be extant. There's one in the Smithso-
    nian if memory serves and the rest were melted. There was also experimentation with
    steel for the coin. There were not as many of these made and they all fit on one pallet
    which was shipped to an electric furnace to be melted as scrap. A bag split open on the
    elevator and a large number were spilled unbeknownst to the gaurds accompanying
    the shipment. Their reaction was to just sweep them up and continue with the melt. It
    was later learned that some examples survived the melt and the mint did what it could
    to recover coins. It is not known if they got them all back or not, but rumors persist that
    many survived.

spelling
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file